Knoxville for tourists?

stephenk24

Back after a long nap
Hey guys,

I really want to see the Vols play, so I am looking into visiting Tennessee in a year or two to see a game. what is Knoxville like for tourists? is it safe and welcoming?

I ask because I have a friend from Connecticut who has horror stories from Knoxville when he drove through it as a student. he doesn't recommend going. the was a long time ago, what's it like now?

thanks,
Stephen

Hey guys,

I really want to see the Vols play, so I am looking into visiting Tennessee in a year or two to see a game. what is Knoxville like for tourists? is it safe and welcoming?

I ask because I have a friend from Connecticut who has horror stories from Knoxville when he drove through it as a student. he doesn't recommend going. the was a long time ago, what's it like now?

thanks,
Stephen

Knoxville can be a safe, and fun experience as long as you use common sense.

First and foremost, I recommend carrying a handgun at all times.

Secondly, avoid the poorer areas, such as the South Knoxville, East Knoxville, and parts of North Knoxville.

Also avoid the Fort Sanders area, there was a murder there in October.

Remember, when in the "safe" areas of Knoxville, always run, don't walk. As we say in Knoxville, "Walkers are victims in waiting."

Remember that, and you will be safe.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

thanks,
Stephen

A guy from Connecticut had problems in Knoxville. Find that laughable

Knoxville dangerous, that's new on me. I'm sure certain streets at night could be, but not many. Lulz. A handgun? Seriously? So, according to him the only safe place is west Knox. Nice troll job.

Go to the damn mountains!

More importantly, come during late football season so you can catch a basketball game too.

Reactions: 1 person
Haha, far from it. Just trying to hype it up.

Dude, I am so excited. You watch the hoops this morning.

I love basketball!!!!!

UT_Basketball_0007_t607.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Knoxville can be a safe, and fun experience as long as you use common sense.

First and foremost, I recommend carrying a handgun at all times.

Secondly, avoid the poorer areas, such as the South Knoxville, East Knoxville, and parts of North Knoxville.

Also avoid the Fort Sanders area, there was a murder their in October.

Remember, when in the "safe" areas of Knoxville, always run, don't walk. As we say in Knoxville, "Walkers are victims in waiting."

Remember that, and you will be safe.

'Their' who?

Thanks.

You agree with all the rest, though.

Honestly, I can't comment on how bad it is. I haven't hung out for a long period of time for a while now. So that debate is for others.

But I do find it odd that I keep hearing how bad Knoxville is (news to me) and how bad Nashville has gotten. Not just here but in other forums also.

But Downtown brewery is good beer.

Knoxville doesn't really have that much of a night life, go to the mountains to take in the scenery. There is not that much crime that takes place here.

Let's see, outside of going to a game there is the Sun Sphere and ..... the Sun Sphere. And then there is the Sun Sphere.

But seriously, most touristy things to do are outside of Kville. Like the mountains and Gaitlinburg.

Actually, going to a show at the TN Theatre and hanging around the old city is pretty nice. I guess I just take that for granted.

Let's see, outside of going to a game there is the Sun Sphere and ..... the Sun Sphere. And then there is the Sun Sphere.

But seriously, most touristy things to do are outside of Kville. Like the mountains and Gaitlinburg.

Sunsphere is pretty lame. It's tall, but built at a lower elevation than downtown. Still, it's free. So it's a great value, IMO!

Hey guys,

thanks,
Stephen

Stephen -

I am guessing your friend from Connecticut may have been referring traveling through Knoxville was a nightmare. Two major interstates share the same road through town, and it can be really bad. It's gotten better over the last 5 years, but it can be frustrating. I think they were doing road work the entire time I was at UTK.

Knoxville is an old mill town that sits on several rivers. Most of those mills have since closed down, and the downtown area has a very industrial feel to it. Most first time visitors probably wouldn't leave Knoxville and say, "That was a beautiful city." It does have a lot of charm, though, and it's a ton of fun. In that sense, it's much like Pittsburgh.

You should definitely make it to Knoxville for a football game. I'll echo what a few others have said:

1- Instead of making Knoxville your vacation destination, make Knoxville a part of an East Tennessee vacation. Spend 2-3 days in Knoxville. Make sure to spend some time in the beautiful mountains outside of the city.

2- If you can catch a football and bball game, all the better. They're both great experiences.

I'm not from Tennessee, but I did go to school there. It's not the most beautiful city (and probably doesn't stand alone for a vacation), but I miss the city and always look forward to going back. It's a lot of fun.

If you end up making it happen, we can help you with a list of must sees and great restaurants and bars to check out while you're in town.

VN Store

Back