Fishing in Tennessee

BigOrange15

Never Falter, Never Yield
Looking for some good fishing spots in Tennessee. Anybody know any good ones?

Old Hickory lake is my favorite. There is a very cool restaurant, Anchor High, located on the south part of the lake before the dam.

Lake Barkley is nice too.

Old Hickory lake is my favorite. There is a very cool restaurant, Anchor High, located on the south part of the lake before the dam.

Lake Barkley is nice too.

BUYING fish to eat doesn't count. Gotta catch the caveman style..
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You go fishing and then go drinking. Or if your from Alabama you go drinking then fishing then fidn your sister and have a nice romantic fish dinner together.

You go fishing and then go drinking. Or if your from Alabama you go drinking then fishing then fidn your sister and have a nice romantic fish dinner together.

I see. The fish are always biting the 'lures' I throw out.

Seriously I fish the NE TN fisheries. Cherokee and South Holston mostly. Some Norris.

I don't fish much as I don't like killing things. But I do go swimming in the local lakes alot. I'm thinking about starting to fish now that my son is getting older but it would be a catch and throw back situation I think.

I'll keep Old Hickory in mind. Does anyone know how the fishing in Reelfoot Lake is? I'm in college in Arkansas and I was thinking about fishing up there but I'd like to know if it'd be a waste of time.

I see. The fish are always biting the 'lures' I throw out.

Seriously I fish the NE TN fisheries. Cherokee and South Holston mostly. Some Norris.

Never been.

I don't know east tn very well. I either go to the games or on to Gatlinburg. Is Cherokee big?

Never been.

I don't know east tn very well. I either go to the games or on to Gatlinburg. Is Cherokee big?

Long not very wide. Starts in Rogersville. Dam is near Jefferson City. I fish for walleye exclusively. BEST. FISH. EVER. I don't love killing, but in order to eat the rascals, I have to. South Holston (near Bristol) is the most beautiful clear lake around. It's in the mountains. It's often my happy place I go to when I need a peaceful thought. I have a camper with my brother-in-law on Cherokee though.

Long not very wide. Starts in Rogersville. Dam is near Jefferson City. I fish for walleye exclusively. BEST. FISH. EVER. I don't love killing, but in order to eat the rascals, I have to. South Holston (near Bristol) is the most beautiful clear lake around. It's in the mountains. It's often my happy place I go to when I need a peaceful thought. I have a camper with my brother-in-law on Cherokee though.

You want clear go to the lake above. Dale Hollow.

Always been that way, especially 25E into Newport at the bridge.

Yeah. Always been good sauger at 25E bridge. Heard the walleye population is exploding there now. I don't know the lake. Only place I have been is the bridge. 15" or 18" size limit? Cherokee is 18" now. Wanted to make it a walleye lake, but it can't support large numbers of big fish, IMO. Too shallow. Sucks because I catch all kinds of 16-17 7/8 fish. VERY FEW 18 inchers. Almost a waste of time and money now.

I'll keep Old Hickory in mind. Does anyone know how the fishing in Reelfoot Lake is? I'm in college in Arkansas and I was thinking about fishing up there but I'd like to know if it'd be a waste of time.

Reelfoot is hard to fish. You have to know where to look. All those cypress knees look like bass heaven but they're not. Talk to locals or hire a guide.

I'm all about coming to TN, but since you're in Arkansas - grab a pair of waders and go to Spring River.

I enjoy trout fishing. Never done it in TN. How's the trout coverage up there? Obviously in SC, it's limited to the extreme northeastern border (for the most part, somehow they get some below Lake Murray dam in Columbia during the winter), but GA and NC aren't too far away. I imagine a place like TN has a good bit of the east covered for trout fishermen.

Reelfoot is a Crappie heaven. Also TONS of gills and big cats. Yes you need to find them, but when you do you get a limit easily. And they are FAT. Watch for snakes though. They will come in the boat with you. Seriously. Go to Crappie.com and browse the Tennessee forum.

From what I understand Reelfoot is supposed to be some of the best crappie waters around. Don't know anything about bass up there though.

Edit: Superdave beat me to it.

What kind of snakes?

Cottonmouth.
images

Cottonmouth.
images

I don't think you will find a cottonmouth/ water moccasin in east Tennessee. Maybe in the western part of the state. I live in upstate SC now & they aren't around here yet everybody swears that every snake around water is a cottonmouth or that a common water snake is a copperhead because of their color. As for fishing I grew up in Newport & around Douglas lake & I remember my uncle shooting carp & gar with his bow when the lake was low. My grandpa use to take me crappie fishing & I remember catching a lot. We even use to fish off the bank at Indian Creek & catch a lot. Also now that the pigeon river is cleaned up it's a nice little smallmouth spot.

I've seen lots of copperheads in E TN but no moccasins or cottonmouths

I've seen lots of copperheads in E TN but no moccasins or cottonmouths

I'm in SC & yea copperheads are pretty common as far as venomous snakes go but I only see them every now & then & they're usually ran over in the road.

VN Store

Back