1998 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The Grill and BBQ thread. within the forum The Pub. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Coach Grizz
Chocolate Thunder

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
The Grill and BBQ thread

Ok fella's things are about to get hot soon and that means its Grill and BBQ season!! But before I go any further let me break this down for our friends from the north...... Grilling is cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and steaks on a char coal or gas grill. BBQ is cooking prok slow on a pitt with hickory wood mostly or if your in Texas its musquit. Ribs, shoulders, brisket, whole hog.
This is one southern tradition that brings everybody together and you damn sho' better get it right!!

So post your techneiqes, methods, events and all thigs Grilling and BBQ here!!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Volst53
Bang Bang

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
I like hotdogs. Some like them burnt black some don't, depends on the person.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
VOLFREAK11

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
We got an older small smoker not to long ago and me and some buddys are talking about using it a lot out by the pool this summer. So some tips would be greatly appreciated. And were all 17-19 so we don't have a great budget.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
wildnkrazykat

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
so 53 loves black weiners?
Sure, girls from New York, they are tough. And girls from Georgia, they are sweet. But those born and bred feisty Kentucky girls, they are the ones you have to look out for. We have sugar and fire in our blood. We can ride a horse, be a débutante, throw a left hook and tell you the entire UK line up all while making sweet tea. And if we have an opinion, you get to know it. We're both the pride and the downfall of the bluegrass...
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
myrobbins7
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll bring the beer!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Volst53
Bang Bang

Get meat, beer, wood, and find some time and just play around. Keep the temp low try not to get it over 220. Don't get a lean cut of meat the more fat the better chance it'll turn out good early in learning how to bbq.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
VolsNSkinsFan

a little trick for hot dogs, especially for a party.

Cook hotdogs and toast the HD buns on grill. Once all are cooked, wrap the hotdog and bun together in tin foil. It keeps the dog warm, and makes the bun a little moist (like a sam and andys/Gus/VicnBills sammich) Once you have a platter stacked with HDs and buns wrapped in foil, place them in the oven on "warm" till you are ready to serve. We call them stadium dogs
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Coach Grizz
Chocolate Thunder

I have a home made iron grill my father bought back in the day it's about 5 foot long and 4 foot wide. Since I got my own house now I want to build a Pitt and try to cook some whole hog. I've seen it done twice last summer and lord have mercy it was good!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Volunteer08

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
I haven't had the pleasure of owning a smoker or a pitt. However, I've seen and been around many. You can protect your meat with tin foil on the side that the flame is on if it's a side smoker. That's not rocket science, though. You always want to cook it slow...the slower the better. If you have something you or a friend has shot and you want to take some of the gamey taste out of it you can soak it in ginger ale for a couple hours prior to the process....I was skeptical at first too, but I'm now a believer.

Finally - Get yourself a good rub. Cooking the meat is a trade that can be learned and should be learned according to the equipment you have. What really makes the meat and can ruin the meat is the rub you put on it and how that goes with the hickory you're smoking it with.

Don't forget to pack a cooler and sometimes a spray water bottle can come in handy. Have fun. Get drunk. Be smart. Be Safe fellas.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
VOLFREAK11

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer08 View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of owning a smoker or a pitt. However, I've seen and been around many. You can protect your meat with tin foil on the side that the flame is on if it's a side smoker. That's not rocket science, though. You always want to cook it slow...the slower the better. If you have something you or a friend has shot and you want to take some of the gamey taste out of it you can soak it in ginger ale for a couple hours prior to the process....I was skeptical at first too, but I'm now a believer.

Finally - Get yourself a good rub. Cooking the meat is a trade that can be learned and should be learned according to the equipment you have. What really makes the meat and can ruin the meat is the rub you put on it and how that goes with the hickory you're smoking it with.

Don't forget to pack a cooler and sometimes a spray water bottle can come in handy. Have fun. Get drunk. Be smart. Be Safe fellas.

What kind of rub do you use for different meats? And Ill prolly end up being the one doing all the work when the friends get to drunk lol
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
superdave1984
Repeat Offender

The Grill and BBQ thread The Grill and BBQ thread
There is a thread somewhere about favorite BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's is awesome stuff.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
volinbham
VN GURU

Grizz, I used to live in Illinois and it drove me nuts when people considered anything on the grill as BBQ'ing.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Volunteer08

Famous Dave's is a great sauce that offers mild and spicy. You can buy it in grocery stores. I was hooked on Famous Dave's Devil's Spit for a while, but my stomach is starting to fail me the older I get (I'm only 25).

As far as a rub goes you'll have to choose according to the meat you're cooking - Frank's Rub - with a guy grilling on the front - has worked well with me for pork. Just go the store and read about them...ask around. Good luck bro.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
VOLFREAK11

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
There is a thread somewhere about favorite BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's is awesome stuff.
Ok ill look for it, thanks. And thats all my father eats with pork chops
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
VolsNSkinsFan

Famous Dave's and Sonnys are solid BBQ places
Reply With Quote TOP