The Grill and BBQ thread

Coach Grizz

Chocolate Thunder
Ok fella's things are about to get hot soon and that means its Grill and BBQ season!! But before I go any further let me break this down for our friends from the north...... Grilling is cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and steaks on a char coal or gas grill. BBQ is cooking prok slow on a pitt with hickory wood mostly or if your in Texas its musquit. Ribs, shoulders, brisket, whole hog.
This is one southern tradition that brings everybody together and you damn sho' better get it right!!

So post your techneiqes, methods, events and all thigs Grilling and BBQ here!! :loco:

I like hotdogs. Some like them burnt black some don't, depends on the person.

We got an older small smoker not to long ago and me and some buddys are talking about using it a lot out by the pool this summer. So some tips would be greatly appreciated. And were all 17-19 so we don't have a great budget.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Get meat, beer, wood, and find some time and just play around. Keep the temp low try not to get it over 220. Don't get a lean cut of meat the more fat the better chance it'll turn out good early in learning how to bbq.

a little trick for hot dogs, especially for a party.

Cook hotdogs and toast the HD buns on grill. Once all are cooked, wrap the hotdog and bun together in tin foil. It keeps the dog warm, and makes the bun a little moist (like a sam and andys/Gus/VicnBills sammich) Once you have a platter stacked with HDs and buns wrapped in foil, place them in the oven on "warm" till you are ready to serve. We call them stadium dogs

I have a home made iron grill my father bought back in the day it's about 5 foot long and 4 foot wide. Since I got my own house now I want to build a Pitt and try to cook some whole hog. I've seen it done twice last summer and lord have mercy it was good!!

I haven't had the pleasure of owning a smoker or a pitt. However, I've seen and been around many. You can protect your meat with tin foil on the side that the flame is on if it's a side smoker. That's not rocket science, though. You always want to cook it slow...the slower the better. If you have something you or a friend has shot and you want to take some of the gamey taste out of it you can soak it in ginger ale for a couple hours prior to the process....I was skeptical at first too, but I'm now a believer.

Finally - Get yourself a good rub. Cooking the meat is a trade that can be learned and should be learned according to the equipment you have. What really makes the meat and can ruin the meat is the rub you put on it and how that goes with the hickory you're smoking it with.

Don't forget to pack a cooler and sometimes a spray water bottle can come in handy. Have fun. Get drunk. Be smart. Be Safe fellas.

I haven't had the pleasure of owning a smoker or a pitt. However, I've seen and been around many. You can protect your meat with tin foil on the side that the flame is on if it's a side smoker. That's not rocket science, though. You always want to cook it slow...the slower the better. If you have something you or a friend has shot and you want to take some of the gamey taste out of it you can soak it in ginger ale for a couple hours prior to the process....I was skeptical at first too, but I'm now a believer.

Finally - Get yourself a good rub. Cooking the meat is a trade that can be learned and should be learned according to the equipment you have. What really makes the meat and can ruin the meat is the rub you put on it and how that goes with the hickory you're smoking it with.

Don't forget to pack a cooler and sometimes a spray water bottle can come in handy. Have fun. Get drunk. Be smart. Be Safe fellas.

What kind of rub do you use for different meats? And Ill prolly end up being the one doing all the work when the friends get to drunk lol

Grizz, I used to live in Illinois and it drove me nuts when people considered anything on the grill as BBQ'ing.

Famous Dave's is a great sauce that offers mild and spicy. You can buy it in grocery stores. I was hooked on Famous Dave's Devil's Spit for a while, but my stomach is starting to fail me the older I get (I'm only 25).

As far as a rub goes you'll have to choose according to the meat you're cooking - Frank's Rub - with a guy grilling on the front - has worked well with me for pork. Just go the store and read about them...ask around. Good luck bro.

i'm been thinking of buying a webber smoker. anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

i'm been thinking of buying a webber smoker. anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

they are pricey but everything I've had from Weber has been worth the price. (I assume you are talking about the bullet smoker).

some people have good luck with the Brinkman smoker (under 50 bucks) but they generally do some modifications to it. Googlee ECB modifications (el cheapo Brinkman) and you'll find a ton of info. Might be a cheap way to dabble before moving up.

for your potato side, get 3 good size potatoes, and an onion

cube the potatoes and onion
wrap it in tin foil with a few dollops of butter, salt and pepper
Spray the tin foil with Pam before you close it
put it on the grill for about 40 minutes at 300 to 350

I've got a small electric smoker that does surprisingly well. I was kiddish at first but if anyone has limited space id strongly recommend one.

For store bought sauces I like the jack Daniels old no 7 myself. Usually when I make ribs I make half with that and half with a dry rub concoction I found online and modified.

Go all out and get the big green egg.

I have it, but it can't smoke like the old school smokers. It just can't be kept cool enough. It does exceptional steak and can do some faster smoking, but if you want the slow cooked, it isn't the one.

VN Store

Back