Severe Weather Thread

CountVolcula

Eternal Vol
Well, If you have been through as many Tornadoes as I have, 1999, 2003, 2008, then you tend to watch the weather very closely. I have always been intrigued by it and with a lot of my famiy being farmers, I grew up listening to the older people telling me the signs to watch out for bad weather.

Anyway, it looks like its gonna get bad in Arkansas and parts of Missouri and West Tennessee later this evening and overnight tonight.

BPV, watch your ass!! Northwest Arky looks like its gonna get hit the hardest.

Im the same as the OP for some crazy reason I love to watch and learn about the weather, I love it. We have a chance of bad weather here also, but late tonight. Everyone stay safe..

I've never seen a tornado.

Well, its an awesome, but very destructive sight. In 2003, we had 7 fatalities from an F4 that stayed on the ground for 20 miles, before it lifted off the ground just east of town.

In 1999, we had dual tornadoes strike the mid and south parts of town at the same time.

In 2008, it struck the north part of town, nearly destroying Union University

This is the one that hit Union
YouTube - Tornado in Jackson

Im the same as the OP for some crazy reason I love to watch and learn about the weather, I love it. We have a chance of bad weather here also, but late tonight. Everyone stay safe..

I guess its the power that weather can unleash, coupled with the "not knowing" what could happen. Lets you really know who is in charge

Well, its an awesome, but very destructive sight. In 2003, we had 7 fatalities from an F4 that stayed on the ground for 20 miles, before it lifted off the ground just east of town.

In 1999, we had dual tornadoes strike the mid and south parts of town at the same time.

In 2008, it struck the north part of town, nearly destroying Union University

This is the one that hit Union
YouTube - Tornado in Jackson

I had forgotten about the 03 ones for some reason. Didn't it land in Denmark and just head east on 70?

My house was hit in the 1999 one. Did some of the strangest things I have ever seen. Threw our lawnmower 7 houses down, completely destroyed our garage, ripped a large hole in the roof, but in one room over from the garage my mom's china was still sitting perfectly in the cabinets untouched.

I had forgotten about the 03 ones for some reason. Didn't it land in Denmark and just head east on 70?

Thats correct. It was over a mile wide when it struck Denmark and rolled right through downtown and into East Jackson. I had front row seats for that one.

It will be something I will never forget. You could hear the houses exploding when it was going through those neighborhoods. I didnt leave until about 24 hours into the shift, that first night

My house was hit in the 1999 one. Did some of the strangest things I have ever seen. Threw our lawnmower 7 houses down, completely destroyed our garage, ripped a large hole in the roof, but in one room over from the garage my mom's china was still sitting perfectly in the cabinets untouched.

I spent most of that night in South Jackson. Traffic was horrific with all the rubberneckers out trying to get a glimpse of the damage.

Definitely not looking forward to tonight here in central arkansas. Seems like tornado season is gearing up early this year... Thursday we had 3 confirmed f1s roll through. Not a lot of damage to speak of, a couple barns and trees etc.

Growing up in Atlanta I was used to the sirens and having to get in the basement a couple times a month. Living in Nashville/Knoxville from 98 on spoiled me... Maybe once or twice a spring it would get bad outside.

This will be the 2nd time this year we've had bad storms, and the 5th of 6th time since I moved here last January. Not a fan!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I've got the same severe weather bug. Can't shake it. I've read everything I can get my hands on for roughly the last 20 years.

Definitely not looking forward to tonight here in central arkansas. Seems like tornado season is gearing up early this year... Thursday we had 3 confirmed f1s roll through. Not a lot of damage to speak of, a couple barns and trees etc.

Growing up in Atlanta I was used to the sirens and having to get in the basement a couple times a month. Living in Nashville/Knoxville from 98 on spoiled me... Maybe once or twice a spring it would get bad outside.

This will be the 2nd time this year we've had bad storms, and the 5th of 6th time since I moved here last January. Not a fan!

The last two to three years it seems that north of Knoxville has had a lot of severe weather with possible funnel clouds, although I am not for sure how many actually touched the ground.

I have seen a few funnel clouds, Experienced a class 2 hurricane (Isabelle i beleive it was) in Hampton Roads a few years ago that had a microburst event over the neighborhood in which I was living at the time. Trees laying over the power lines from the hurricane. Hundreds of large old growth trees where blow over in a counter-clock wise circle from the microburst event.. The whole area reminded me of a bunch of Rabbit furrows. I was without power for 12 days 13 hrs. and 11 mins.

I'm REALLY not looking forward to the possibilities overnight and into the morning hours here in Western KY/ NW TN. I hate storms with a passion. It's one thing to experience them during daylight hours but during the time when most people are asleep is not a good thing. Stay safe everyone.

day1otlk_1630.gif

But what do you do when the sunlight creeps through the blackout drapes?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back