Ole Smoky Mountain Moonshine Holler

utvol0427

Bring back post junkies!!
The first legal moonshine distillery in Tennessee opened today in Gatlinburg. So, who is heading to Gatlinburg for some moonshine and airbrush t-shirts?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The distillery’s grand opening celebration will take place Friday, July 2 and will offer free samples of moonshine to adults over 21, moonshine for sale and free tours.

The best moonshine I ever had was legal moonshine in Portugal, up in the Algarve.

what's the difference between legal moonshine and vodka?

Moonshine (legal or not) typically has a very strong corn taste. About the only way I could ever drink it was a shot chased by beer.

In theory, moonshine is any liquor made outside the auspices of the taxing authority. It can be made out of anything you can ferment and distill.

I'll take a slug of good scotch over 'shine any day.

Was in G-burg over the holidays.

The distillery gives out free samples. They have a 6 pass version that is very neutral and 2 pass version with a strong corn liquor taste.

Also, they did soaked cherries and an Apple Pie Moonshine tasting.

Bought a jar of each style (both 100 proof).

I guess it's mostly a novelty. The six pass is smooth but virtually a vodka - very neutral. The two pass is strong corn but I'd rather drink a good whiskey. Plus, it's legal which takes some of the fun out of it.

If you are in Gburg though it's worth a visit for the samples. With enough disguises you could probably get hammered.

Rogers in Knoxville, between bridgewater and cedar bluff, sells this stuff by the bottle if anyone wants to try it without the drive.

The distillery gives out free samples. They have a 6 pass version that is very neutral and 2 pass version with a strong corn liquor taste.

I guess it's mostly a novelty. The six pass is smooth but virtually a vodka - very neutral. The two pass is strong corn but I'd rather drink a good whiskey. Plus, it's legal which takes some of the fun out of it.

If you are in Gburg though it's worth a visit for the samples. With enough disguises you could probably get hammered.

100 proof is 50% Alcohol. This is not shine.

the best moonshine, I've had was from a college friend's grandmother from Newport

There where lots of places in Newport that was better than the reputed best of Popcorn Sutton's. Not that there was anything wrong with Popcorn's. But the best, just no.

I tried popcorn's stuff one time. I called it heart attack in a jar. Too much sugar. Also did the test...the flame was orange.

The Apple Pie Moonshine is decent. I took my mom, who doesnt drink, in there to sample the moonshine. Good times.

The distillery’s grand opening celebration will take place Friday, July 2 and will offer free samples of moonshine to adults over 21, moonshine for sale and free tours.

Ugh. if I have to wait one more year to taste moonshine I guess I can..
wait--- actually if I have to wait a hundred years I'll be fine!

In their explanation of the process they say it comes out at 150 and is diluted down to 100.

They call it shine - doesn't matter to me.

Even at 150 it's questionable as to whether or not it's Shine. Because at 150 it has been cut (watered down). Rest assured it does not come out at 150. It's needs to be 165 to burn a purple (blue) and 185 to 200 to burn a violet flame. If it burns orange or red, worries ensue.

They call a lot of stuff wine, beer, scotch, whiskey. It matters to just about everybody that they get it right.
Are you really any different?

I had the best shine believe it or not in Germany last year. Made from apples. He called it Christmas because it had a apple cinnamony taste that reminded you of Christmas. He was right. I kick myself for not buying some but I got a cpl cases of his wine instead.

Even at 150 it's questionable as to whether or not it's Shine. Because at 150 it has been cut (watered down). Rest assured it does not come out at 150. It's needs to be 165 to burn a purple (blue) and 185 to 200 to burn a violet flame. If it burns orange or red, worries ensue.

They call a lot of stuff wine, beer, scotch, whiskey. It matters to just about everybody that they get it right.
Are you really any different?

I guess I am because I don't give a rip if they call this moonshine and it technically isn't. My guess is that the definition of Shine is pretty fluid (no pun intended).

Likewise, I don't care if someone calls something Champagne even if it didn't come from a particular region in France :hi:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back