The Runner's thread

lylsmorr

I just started running habitually to try to get into shape once and for all. I figured VN could use a thread for all the runners on the board, as far as training tips and local races. That type of thing.

To start off, I just bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 16 and they are by far the best shoe investment I have ever made. $140 but I would have paid more for how comfortable they are

Started running again at the beginning of I think March and have been going strong since. Loving it, never thought I would ever run again after high school football was over.

I prefer jogging (pronounced yogging). Running is too painful and my asthma gets fired up. Although I do enjoy a quick sprint!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This is a great website to track how far out run if you are unsure. http://www.mapmyrun.com/ I run, bike, and swim. Has anyone here other than Ho done a triathlon? I am doing my 2nd one this Sat.

Last edited:
I've been barefoot running lately. It takes getting used to because you are using muscles in your feet that you normally don't very much, but it feels better on my joints in the long run (I'm only 25, but have a thing with my hip).

I'm not sure I could do it. Interesting though. I'll look into it.

You could wear five finger shoes, and get the same effect. I do that sometimes. Love the shoes. I have a pair like this:

vibram_fivefingers_vibram_fivefingers_kso_barefoot_shoes_mens_mkso_p55682.jpg

You could wear five finger shoes, and get the same effect. I do that sometimes. Love the shoes. I have a pair like this:

I have heard that these are great. I am not to thrilled about barefoot though.

I am running 5 miles every other day.

I would suggest a pedometer that counts steps, calories, distance, and time.

If you have a droid or a touch there are free apps that will do all of the above.

This cost a little to much for me but the best measuring device I have found is this one
biggest-loser-armband.jpg

This part wraps around your arm then you wear a watch that translates the results. The same one they have on the biggest loser.

I'm running a little 6 mile race in cookeville soon. I might be biting off more than I can chew in September, I'm going to run a 17.5 mile trail race in Big South Fork National Park.

I'm running a little 6 mile race in cookeville soon. I might be biting off more than I can chew in September, I'm going to run a 17.5 mile trail race in Big South Fork National Park.

Cookeville...Nice city I hear...good people there, too

Five Fingers are awesome. I've been trail running with them for about 2 months now. I no longer have shin splints, knee or hip pain.

This is a great website to track how far out run if you are unsure. MapMyRun.com - Map your Run, Running Routes. Find Runs Anywhere. Join our Running Community of Runners. Run GPS, GPS, Running Social Network. Google Map Run, Calculate Calories, Online Pedometer, Distance, iPhone, and More. I run, bike, and swim. Has anyone here other than Ho done a triathlon? I am doing my 2nd one this Sat.

I've done a couple of Xterra sprint races. I'm not doing any this year cause of a new baby and starting a business. Its killing me. I can't wait till next year and start seriously training again.

It's a challenging and hard experience but very rewarding. Well, at least the Half Ironman is. A full is nuts.

:hi:Sat is my sprint tri. I've had an issue with a yellow jacket sting on my lower leg.(I'm allergic to them) Swelling has kept me from biking or running since Wed. I tried to run yesterday but had to turn back after just over .5 mile. I might make 1 more attempt at a bike ride tomorrow afternoon. Last year it took me 1hr 47min+. I'm shooting for sub 1:45. We'll see.
Hope you had a good time on the scout trip.

I run 4 times a week. Well, one day we call crazy cardio thursday and we run stairs and do incline sprints...........

:hi:Sat is my sprint tri. I've had an issue with a yellow jacket sting on my lower leg.(I'm allergic to them) Swelling has kept me from biking or running since Wed. I tried to run yesterday but had to turn back after just over .5 mile. I might make 1 more attempt at a bike ride tomorrow afternoon. Last year it took me 1hr 47min+. I'm shooting for sub 1:45. We'll see.

I had a good trip, thanks. Ran one day. Went three miles out and than ran back. Down hill all the way out. The run back was hell. I'm used to the Florida flats.

If you ride you might want to make it very light. It's more important that you're healed by Saturday. It's doubtful that you'll lose much fitness in a week and a half. If you've been training really hard you're body will probably welcome the rest. Have a fun fast race on Saturday!

Ran my first 5k last weekend. Actully done better than I thought I would considering I haven't trained for one.

Always thought it was crazy, but I can see how running can be addictive. Probably going to run another one at the first of July.

Ran my first 5k last weekend. Actully done better than I thought I would considering I haven't trained for one.

Always thought it was crazy, but I can see how running can be addictive. Probably going to run another one at the first of July.

I agree 100%. I always thought the people addicted to running were crazy, but now that I do it I can definitely see why.

VN Store

Back