3085 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The Runner's thread Page 259. within the forum The Pub. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #3871
Orangesmokey
Gator Hater

The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
3.5 miles tonight in 26:10. It was cold tonight. About 36 degrees at start.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #3872
pualsline
poakley@safeoak.com

The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
Finally, I found some basketball games around here. Now I can balance running with basketball!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #3873
volgolf18

The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
4 very cold miles in 31:33. Temp was 25 with a wind chill of 15. It took about 1.5 miles for my legs to warm up. Ran a negative split on the back 2 miles.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #3874
Orangesmokey
Gator Hater

The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
3.5 tonight but forgot my phone so I have no idea how long it took. It felt fast but that doesn't mean anything.

Edit: Total of 7 for the week. Hoping to get over 13 for the week. Should be able to hit that goal as long as the weather stays decent this afternoon and Saturday.

Last edited by Orangesmokey; 01-24-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #3875
SDV

5 this morning. My legs have been sore all day though. Don't know what that's all about
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #3876
IN Jed

Nice job to everyone who has been doing work. We've been single digit temps this week with some negative wind chills but hasn't been too bad. Hit a personal milestone this past weekend. About a year ago I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me I'd never run pain free again due to degenerative bones in my ankle and foot due to a lifetime of running. Well jacka**, I enjoyed 10 pain free miles on Saturday. Feels great.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #3877
Orangesmokey
Gator Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN Jed View Post
Nice job to everyone who has been doing work. We've been single digit temps this week with some negative wind chills but hasn't been too bad. Hit a personal milestone this past weekend. About a year ago I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me I'd never run pain free again due to degenerative bones in my ankle and foot due to a lifetime of running. Well jacka**, I enjoyed 10 pain free miles on Saturday. Feels great.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #3878
tri_vol
Fate Loves The Fearless

The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread The Runner's thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangesmokey View Post
+1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #3879
Orangesmokey
Gator Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Vol View Post
5 this morning. My legs have been sore all day though. Don't know what that's all about
I notice sometimes when I don't stretch long enough or well enough after my runs my legs will be sore. Not sure if that's your case but something to think about.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #3880
jguy2

The Runner's thread
Got back from my trip today. Took a rest day Monday, Ran 3 on Tuesday, 4 yesterday, and just got done with an easy 3 today (it's nice to run outside again). My Garmin 410 came in while I was gone, I can't wait to use it tomorrow. I won't have to guess at my paces based on perceived effort anymore, I can use the HRM. I'm going to use the basic formula for my max HR for the next couple days, I'll try to really find out my max next week with some hill repeats.

Weekly Total: 10 miles
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #3881
SDV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangesmokey View Post
I notice sometimes when I don't stretch long enough or well enough after my runs my legs will be sore. Not sure if that's your case but something to think about.
Yeah I didn't stretch afterward or before.

Question for you guys. Does anyone here stretch before running? I was told that it was unnecessary.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #3882
jguy2

The Runner's thread
Quote:

Question for you guys. Does anyone here stretch before running? I was told that it was unnecessary.
I don't. From what I've read, it's actually kind of dangerous to stretch your muscles before they're warmed up, you're much more likely to pull something when your muscles are cold and tight. If someone is hell bent on stretching before a run though, I'd say do a 10 minute warmup jog to get the blood flowing, THEN get their stretch on.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #3883
Orangesmokey
Gator Hater

3.5 tonight 7:36 pace. It was cold tonight. 37 degrees at start and finish. Here is the view from my run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.9 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #3884
Orangesmokey
Gator Hater

Quote:

I always stretch before and afterwards, but I walk a quarter to half mile before I stretch. It's part a my routine that I can't shake. The few times I haven't stretched before running my runs felt slower and my legs felt funny during my run.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #3885
volgolf18

Quote:

There is a lot of info out there regarding static stretching vs dynamic stretching.

Static stretching is what most people used to believe was good for warming up or prior to a workout. These are traditional stretches that you would hold for 20-30 seconds, etc.

Dynamic stretching is more of active movements of muscle that bring forth a stretch but are not held in the end position.

It is best to do dynamic stretches before a run and static stretches after a run or workout.

For example, I follow a routine similar to this before I run

A Dynamic Stretching Routine | Runner's World & Running Times
Reply With Quote TOP