driving Nashville to Miami

larjoranj

I CAN'T REMEMBER
I have a son who lives in Key West. When we visit we have gone through Hell, I mean Atlanta, and then to Miami and on to they Keys.

Anybody ever gone from Nashville to Miami on I-65 to Montgomery and then to I-10 and cut over?

I have a son who lives in Key West. When we visit we have gone through Hell, I mean Atlanta, and then to Miami and on to they Keys.

Anybody ever gone from Nashville to Miami on I-65 to Montgomery and then to I-10 and cut over?

Fly.

Follow 129 south and come out in Macon, or it goes further. It'll get you around Atlanta

At first I was thinking youre really going out of your way to avoid the traffic in Atl. Even when you get to Montgomery, you have to go down 231 towards Panama City which isnt an interstate so you're subject to stop lites, traffic, etc.. even though its 4 lane. Looking at google maps it 911 miles thru atl vs 969 thru montgomery. 13hr 28 min thru atl vs 14 hr 24 min thru montgomery. From their calculations it adds an hour which is probably what it will take to go thru Atl. Not a bad option. Keep in mind that those miles/time are to Miami so you have to add another 4 hrs to Key West. If you split the trip up you could time it to go thru Atl at non rush hour ie 3:00-4:00 am

As long as pass through Atlanta between the hrs of 10am-2pm or 9pm-5am you should be ok. What time you lose driving through Atlanta, you'll make up with interstate flow. I've learned you just lose way more time than you think on the 4 lane highways with red lights and whatnot.

I drove both routes a lot.

Atlanta is awful, but as long as you try to avoid rush hour periods it is manageable. The cops are thick from McDonough on south. Those towns seem to survive off citation money so don't speed.

I like taking I-65 through Alabama. Traffic isn't bad and neither are the police. Even Birmingham, with all the construction on the interstate, isn't bad except at rush hour. And even then it's won't give you road rage like Atlanta traffic.

Those fools can't drive.

I usually hit 1-10 west of Tallahassee and drive it to Jacksonville. That is a long, boring drive, usually about 4 hours for me. Lots of troopers, especially around Tallahassee.

Hope this helps.

we have gone through Hell, I mean Atlanta

giphy.gif

The local PTBs will tell you that Atlanta is a model of traffic movement, declaring that many municipalities have studied the ATL's Interstate Highway System and feeder roads.

[In a private sidebar, some of the same may pitch you on a ground-floor opportunity in an exclusive development on the 38th parallel...]

Last summer my wife and I came back thru Atlanta on a Thursday around noon and stayed in the HOV lane and I don't think we ever got below 50 MPH. My daughter waited til Saturday to come thru and it took her 2 hours and she said she never saw a wreck, it was just moving that slow.

I can't ever figure when is the best time. I've been thru on weekdays and moved fine and then back thru on weekends and be slammed. Then I've seen it slammed on a weekday and moving well on a weekend. I'm retired so I can plan to go thru any day. You guys that live in Atlanta-is it generally easier to pass thru at noon on a weekday or a weekend?

VN Store

Back