Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Behr

RIP Toby.
8fb15fec52f532f7fcc3830045b4e28b.jpg

Not a fan of chili and don't make it often enough to even have a recipe. If I made it today, I would obviously be making it for someone and I would ask them what they liked and didn't like in theirs, and throw a bunch a chit together and call it chili.

sup-dude-hi.gif

1613510188721-gif.352065

Last edited:
My last two cornbreads were fine and dandy. Buttermilk, y'all. Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of sugar, and buttermilk - some swear by butter for leavening, but I've had equal success with select oils and bacon drippings. Yeah, buttermilk for biscuits is like a psalm of baking, but buttermilk for cornbread is the je ne sais quois.

Reactions: Souce
My last two cornbreads were fine and dandy. Buttermilk, y'all. Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of sugar, and buttermilk - some swear by butter for leavening, but I've had equal success with select oils and bacon drippings. Yeah, buttermilk for biscuits is like a psalm of baking, but buttermilk for cornbread is the je ne sais quois.

Qft

Not a fan of chili and don't make it often enough to even have a recipe. If I made it today, I would obviously be making it for someone and I would ask them what they liked and didn't like in theirs, and throw a bunch a chit together and call it chili.

Sounds good to me Tin man. I cheat with Mexican cornbread. I use Rotel and pepper jack/cheddar or ghost pepper chez.

I absolutely love love love me some chili.

I got nothing to ask.
Just want this one to appear in the list I’m following

I'm assuming a mod started this new one, maybe Volly. Not sure why, except it seemed a good idea to have the worst thread ever in the same forum as the most awesome one.

Hale yes Hman. I've actually got some in a crock pot as we speak.

Not sure I would call anything coming from the commode meat, drunk or sober, but hey, I ain't judging.

I apologize to those less fortunate in here ... I lost my sense of community for a moment

Behr or anyone, have you every tried Nduja? It's a spreadable salami.

My mother has the easiest cornbread recipe:

1 3/4 cups of self-rising cornmeal
1 1/4 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 egg

Heat cast iron skillet to 375. I use uncooked bacon trimmings to oil it. Pour batter in and bake for about 20 minutes.

The cider vinegar in milk creates "buttermilk"

1 1/4 cups of milk
1 egg

Heat cast iron skillet to 375. I use uncooked bacon trimmings to oil it. Pour batter in and bake for about 20 minutes.

Nailed it. Didn't believe the cider vinegar trick until I finally decided to try. It's crazy that it works.

I make a mean chili. But it's paleo, so there's no beans. And I use ground chicken instead of beef. Y'all probably disown me now.

1 1/4 cups of milk
1 egg

You just mix the ingredients and pour into the heated/oiled skillet?

Cant's speak for Boca, but I do. You don't get the oil to boiling hot or anything. Just to where you'll probably wind up burned if you touch it. And it's just a thin layer to create a good crust for the cornbread.

Cant's speak for Boca, but I do. You don't get the oil to boiling hot or anything. Just to where you'll probably wind up burned if you touch it. And it's just a thin layer to create a good crust for the cornbread.

Thanks. Just used my iron skillet that we’ve had for a decade for the first time last night to sear steaks after cooking them Sous vide. The skillet was given to us already used and already seasoned. I’m ready to make some cornbread in it now.

Reactions: 2 people
Nailed it. Didn't believe the cider vinegar trick until I finally decided to try. It's crazy that it works.

I make a mean chili. But it's paleo, so there's no beans. And I use ground chicken instead of beef. Y'all probably disown me now.

Thanks for giving the cornbread a try.

I've used ground chicken and turkey before in chili. They add a little sweetness compared to beef.

Yes, sorry. Just whisk them together and pour into a hot cast iron skillet. I place a couple of pieced of uncooked bacon fat (usually from Benton's) but any bacon fat will work. When the oven is heated, I pull out the skillet, swirl around the bacon fat, pour out any excess and pour in the batter.

VN Store

Back