I normally don't do this

Wylo

Nega what?
This will be long. It will be non football related. It will be extremely personal to me. Read if you want. I just have to say this somewhere...

I'm about to lose a very important man in my life. This man is more my father than my real father ever will be. This is my ex wife's father. I met him almost 25 years ago. He is a gruff and loud old dude. The kind that tells semi dirty jokes to any server at a restaurant whether we've been there once or a dozen times.

He's the kind of dad that everyone should have. He carried both his daughters around singing to them when they are born. He did the same to my kids and all his grandkids. He is a provider for his family. He is a dad. All the way.

I saw this man cry 1 time. Just once. He had to put his dog down. He wanted to do it himself. It was an old dog. A golden named bud. I and my oldest came and dug the grave. Pappy put the dog down and fell into the tailgate of his truck and wept. Like a child. He wanted to be the one to do it because he was old school and couldn't stand the idea of a cold vet office.

He went into cardiac arrest last night and his brain was without oxygen for almost 30 minutes. He is in a coma here in Nashville and has 48 hours to show brain activity. Unless a true miracle happens, I'm losing my pappy.

My oldest child is in the Navy, stationed in Japan. He was contacted at 11 pm CST and was able to get leave, buy a ticket, and start his journey home to say goodbye. This man loved my oldest boy like no other. No grandpa has ever been prouder of a boy than he was when my son enlisted.

We always took a boys trip to Gatlinburg each year at the start of the NCAA tournament. Me, Pappy, one of his old buddies, my son and usually a friend of his and 3 of my buddies. We'd rent a big cabin and do nothing but watch basketball, eat, drink, and just relax for about 5 days. Those were the best days.

He's not my father, he didn't have to love me after his daughter and I divorced, but I was always welcomed into this home just the same.

I love you, Pappy. I cannot fathom a world without you. I'm glad you got to love on your grandkids for so long.

Rest well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I’m sorry to hear this for you wylo, we’ll be praying for you, your kids, and his family.

Reactions: 1 person
This will be long. It will be non football related. It will be extremely personal to me. Read if you want. I just have to say this somewhere...

I'm about to lose a very important man in my life. This man is more my father than my real father ever will be. This is my ex wife's father. I met him almost 25 years ago. He is a gruff and loud old dude. The kind that tells semi dirty jokes to any server at a restaurant whether we've been there once or a dozen times.

He's the kind of dad that everyone should have. He carried both his daughters around singing to them when they are born. He did the same to my kids and all his grandkids. He is a provider for his family. He is a dad. All the way.

I saw this man cry 1 time. Just once. He had to put his dog down. He wanted to do it himself. It was an old dog. A golden named bud. I and my oldest came and dug the grave. Pappy put the dog down and fell into the tailgate of his truck and wept. Like a child. He wanted to be the one to do it because he was old school and couldn't stand the idea of a cold vet office.

He had a heart attack last night and his brain was without oxygen for almost 30 minutes. He is in a coma here in Nashville and has 48 hours to show brain activity. Unless a true miracle happens, I'm losing my pappy.

My oldest child is in the Navy, stationed in Japan. He was contacted at 11 pm CST and was able to get leave, buy a ticket, and start his journey home to say goodbye. This man loved my oldest boy like no other. No grandpa has ever been prouder of a boy than he was when my son enlisted.

We always took a boys trip to Gatlinburg each year at the start of the NCAA tournament. Me, Pappy, one of his old buddies, my son and usually a friend of his and 3 of my buddies. We'd rent a big cabin and do nothing but watch basketball, eat, drink, and just relax for about 5 days. Those were the best days.

He's not my father, he didn't have to love me after his daughter and I divorced, but I was always welcomed into this home just the same.

I love you, Pappy. I cannot fathom a world without you. I'm glad you got to love on your grandkids for so long.

Rest well.

Kind and sympathetic regards going your way. He sounds special. Please thank your son for his service, and send the kind regards his way, as well as to your other kids.

He had a heart attack last night and his brain was without oxygen for almost 30 minutes. He is in a coma here in Nashville and has 48 hours to show brain activity. Unless a true miracle happens, I'm losing my pappy.

Rest well.

I'm sorry Wylo. I know how you feel. I'm very close with my father in law and look at him the same way I did my dad.
It hurts to see a good man go down knowing you'll miss him greatly, but at least you had the privilege of knowing him, sharing some good times and creating some great memories. That's what life is all about my friend.
I received a call Wednesday morning informing me that my brother had been found dead in his apartment by his girlfriend. I'm right there with you guy..... we just have to be strong and keep moving forward

I'm sorry Wylo. I know how you feel. I'm very close with my father in law and look at him the same way I did my dad.
It hurts to see a good man go down knowing you'll miss him greatly, but at least you had the privilege of knowing him, sharing some good times and creating some great memories. That's what life is all about my friend.
I received a call Wednesday morning informing me that my brother had been found dead in his apartment by his girlfriend. I'm right there with you guy..... we just have to be strong and keep moving forward

I'm so sorry for your loss and thank you for the kind words. You have no idea how much they mean to me.

Sorry to hear this Wylo.

My ex-husband's father passed away last week. This is what my youngest son said about him:
Pops you were a hell of a man. The biggest hardass I've ever met. You never sugar coated anything and always told it how it was. I respect you for that. These last couple of days were hard but you're in a better place now and we will see you again one day. RIP. I love you papaw P.

I'm thankful my son had that influence in his life, and that he recognized what he was.

Your family is in our prayers.

He went into cardiac arrest last night and his brain was without oxygen for almost 30 minutes. He is in a coma here in Nashville and has 48 hours to show brain activity. Unless a true miracle happens, I'm losing my pappy.

Rest well.

God bless you and your family bud..

So sorry for your loss Wylo. What you wrote about him brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

if he treated you like that after you and his daughter divorced he thought very highly of you. Cherish the times you had and try to be the father he was.

Last edited:
Hang in there Wylo....just try to remember the good times. We had visitation for my brother last night and hearing all of the good things he had done for others and how he had touched so many people's lives definitely made me feel better.
I'm sure you'll experience the same. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you all so much. Those words mean so much to hear. He was a good man. As good as can be. Old school, tough, grumpy. But he was caring. Never turned away a stranger. Helped people his entire life. All of my friends consider him a dad to them. This is a hard day. I never imagined a world without that man, as silly as that sounds.

VN Store

Back