Orgeron Turned Down Extra $250,000 From LSU To Go To UT

Sabanocchio

I didn't see this posted anywhere but feel free to merge it if it was. Looks like all the LSU fans were wrong. It was them offering 900K.

The courtship of Ed Orgeron was rather intriguing.

The former Ole Miss head coach was not only the object of Tennessee’s desire, but LSU coach Les Miles threw an all-out blitz on his former coaching rival.

Tennessee won out.

Here’s how it unfolded.

Orgeron, defensive line coach for the New Orleans Saints, had talked with Lane Kiffin for more than a month about joining Kiffin at Tennessee - even before Kiffin was officially hired. The two had coached together previously at Southern Cal.

While Orgeron said he enjoyed his one season as an NFL assistant, he said he wants to be a college head coach again, so he entertained offers from both LSU and Tennessee.

Orgeron went to Destin, Florida, for a few days and told each program he would make a decision by January 1st. When Lane Kiffin felt he was losing the battle, Lane and his father, Monte Kiffin, UT’s newly hired defensive coordinator, flew to Destin and knocked on Orgeron’s condo door.

The Kiffins convinced Orgeron to take the Tennessee job and offered him $650,000, about $50,000 more than LSU had offered.

When LSU coach Les Miles heard Orgeron was taking the Tennessee job as assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator, Miles drove to New Orleans after LSU’s win in the Chick-fil-A bowl and offered Orgeron a whopping $900,000.

Orgeron declined, saying he had given Tennessee and Kiffin his word that he would join the Vols’ staff.

Thus, Orgeron turned down $250,000 to go to Knoxville.

Orgeron Turned Down Extra $250,000 From LSU To Go To UT | MrSEC.com

maybe because we went to his vacation home and Miles was lazy and just drove across town? Its the thought that counts. :)

While Orgeron said he enjoyed his one season as an NFL assistant, he said he wants to be a college head coach again

If I were an AD and I needed a head coach for my team, taking a look at Ed Orgeron would fall somewhere between digging up Bear Bryant and trying to clone Pete Carroll.

I thought that was a cool story about the Kiffin's going to his place in Destin.

If I were an AD and I needed a head coach for my team, taking a look at Ed Orgeron would fall somewhere between digging up Bear Bryant and trying to clone Pete Carroll.

I have no idea the point here.

where can I find the story of coach O's first meeting with his team at ole miss? I would like for my wife to read it and I cant seem to find it again.

I think he is trying to say it is not worth it.

I think, I don't know.

I think he's saying that O was a God awful HC and he'd rather have a corpse or spend fruitless time trying to clone a good coach as hire him.

I don't believe this story for a second. No way he truns down that much money. I also don't think LSU would pay him that without upsetting new DC Chavis and other staff members.

I don't believe this story for a second. No way he truns down that much money. I also don't think LSU would pay him that without upsetting new DC Chavis and other staff members.

You may not believe it, but it is getting a footing.

during his phone interview with Hyams the other afternoon, i found it interesting that Orgeron said something along the lines of "i wanted to get back in to college coaching...and i made my mind up to come to Tennessee the day lane was hired".

Ed did the right thing. Coach under les brains and john (third and chavis) or monte kiffin? Boy thats a toughy.

VN Store

Back