Interesting read from A Memphis blog

good read and astute observations...after the game I know CBP got kudos from Digger on some of the points made...specifically the foul at the end of the game when we were up by 3...sometimes CBP basketball IQ gets overlooked because he can be so charismatic

I never, not one time, worried about being outcoached. Calipari can't carry Bruce's jock, what I was shocked by, is the physical nature with which we played.

good read and astute observations...after the game I know CBP got kudos from Digger on some of the points made...specifically the foul at the end of the game when we were up by 3...sometimes CBP basketball IQ gets overlooked because he can be so charismatic

good point

Very round about way of saying Bruce Pearl gave Calipari a coaching clinic last night.

how did CBP outcoach Cal?

we won, but let's not go overboard. Cal did the right things, but three of his 4 NBAers laid an egg. CDR, Dozier and Dorsey all played subpar.

This may sound silly but I think Cal's biggest coaching blunder last night was the time out so early. Bad clock management late in the game cost his team. They were out of gas and it showed.

how did CBP out coach Cal?

we won, but let's not go overboard. Cal did the right things, but three of his 4 NBAers laid an egg. CDR, Dozier and Dorsey all played subpar.
I disagree I don not think we played any better than the tigers, i think it was coaching that did it. First off, we completely took them out of their game, played a completely game plan, and when it mattered made the right fouls. #1 they are a penetration team. Guards drive to the goal and make a decision at the elbow to go to the rim, or pass inside for the dunk/easy two. Count on one hand how many inside drives they had in the half court offense. There were not many in transition. #2 WE CONTROLLED THE BOARDS. That was the constant on everyone's predictions of the game, they would out rebound us. By pushing the play to the perimeter and making them take the outside shots, that pulled out the big guys to allow us to get the majority of the rebounds. #3 on the other end of the court, we did not key on the three ball. Was a lot of drives and slashing that drew fouls and left the defense frustrated. In the end left them gassed. CDR limping on the injured leg, Dorsey and Allen with 4 fouls.

#5 the reason we won and UAB did not was fouling the guard when he crossed half court and not giving him a sniff of a three ball or a basket and the foul. Best case scenario he gets two. Worst he misses they get the rebound, something they did not do all night long.

Bruce was intense all night. He should have gotten a Tech when they called Tyler for stepping on the baseline and then went to a TV timeout. Pearl was under the basket yelling at the ref, red faced as can be. Tyler had to get him back over to the bench.

So yes sitting in the stands and watching the coaches composure all game long, you could tell the confident one and the one who looked lost.

I never, not one time, worried about being outcoached. Calipari can't carry Bruce's jock, what I was shocked by, is the physical nature with which we played.

I totally agree. I never expected that we would be a physical as we were. Hell we Memphis at their on game last night.

I disagree I don not think we played any better than the tigers, i think it was coaching that did it. First off, we completely took them out of their game, played a completely game plan, and when it mattered made the right fouls. #1 they are a penetration team. Guards drive to the goal and make a decision at the elbow to go to the rim, or pass inside for the dunk/easy two. Count on one hand how many inside drives they had in the half court offense. There were not many in transition. #2 WE CONTROLLED THE BOARDS. That was the constant on everyone's predictions of the game, they would out rebound us. By pushing the play to the perimeter and making them take the outside shots, that pulled out the big guys to allow us to get the majority of the rebounds. #3 on the other end of the court, we did not key on the three ball. Was a lot of drives and slashing that drew fouls and left the defense frustrated. In the end left them gassed. CDR limping on the injured leg, Dorsey and Allen with 4 fouls.

#5 the reason we won and UAB did not was fouling the guard when he crossed half court and not giving him a sniff of a three ball or a basket and the foul. Best case scenario he gets two. Worst he misses they get the rebound, something they did not do all night long.

Bruce was intense all night. He should have gotten a Tech when they called Tyler for stepping on the baseline and then went to a TV timeout. Pearl was under the basket yelling at the ref, red faced as can be. Tyler had to get him back over to the bench.

So yes sitting in the stands and watching the coaches composure all game long, you could tell the confident one and the one who looked lost.

I will agree that CBP slightly outcoached Cal, but not by much. Like one guy said earlier, CDR, Dozier, and Dorsey (especially the last 2) played well below their standards. And to your point #2. How would Memphis taking outside shots pull away their own big men from the goal? That's not what got them beat on the boards. Tennessee wanted it more last night and Memphis got what they deserved. When you play subpar against a top tier team, you are going to lose. Tennessee beat the Tigers at their own game and DESERVED to walk out of the Forum with a win.

Calipari was out-coached due to his casual stance towards free throws. I am not a basketball coach, however, I would tend to think that two things you would always want to focus on would be boxing out and free throws. It seems that in games where it is tough to differentiate between talent the outcome is decided on the boards and at the line...

I will agree that CBP slightly outcoached Cal, but not by much. Like one guy said earlier, CDR, Dozier, and Dorsey (especially the last 2) played well below their standards. And to your point #2. How would Memphis taking outside shots pull away their own big men from the goal? That's not what got them beat on the boards. Tennessee wanted it more last night and Memphis got what they deserved. When you play subpar against a top tier team, you are going to lose. Tennessee beat the Tigers at their own game and DESERVED to walk out of the Forum with a win.

so Tennessee was just the lucky receipiant of a memphis off night? give me a break.

how did CBP outcoach Cal?

Give credit where credit is due. CBP was the master in this game. CDR, Dozier and The Windex Man were all handled by the Pearl!!!:clap:

Lofton did everything he was asked. Just having him on the floor made the game so much easier for the rest of the guys. You have to be aware of an All-American when he is on the floor.

Exactly, and thats why this team is so good this year. Lofton can be quiet in the box score but we have enough other great options to cover for him.

Lofton did everything he was asked. Just having him on the floor made the game so much easier for the rest of the guys. You have to be aware of an All-American when he is on the floor.

Agreed. And would you have picked any other player to be at the FT line to ice the win?

VN Store

Back