Tennessee football flashback

Ugh. I was sitting in the student section for that one. Awful then. Awful now. I didn't realize then how ineffective and boring Battles "Tennessee T" wishbone experiment was. Mostly it just got Stanley Morgan all beat up.

Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't that when the Vols and CommodeDores almost got into a brawl before the game started? I think it took place while both teams were warming up.

Wasn't that when the Vols and CommodeDores almost got into a brawl before the game started? I think it took place while both teams were warming up.

The Tennessee and Vanderbilt teams went at it in Bill Battle's last game at UT a week later in Nashville. Tennessee won that game 13-10 and lost this one 7-0.

The Tennessee and Vanderbilt teams went at it in Bill Battle's last game at UT a week later in Nashville. Tennessee won that game 13-10 and lost this one 7-0.

The next season was probably Kentucky's best team in most of our lifetimes. I think they went 10-1. Didn't play in a bowl because NCAA busted them for cheating (probation). Their quarterback went on to play tight end for the Raiders.

Last edited:
The next season was probably Kentucky's best team in most of our lifetimes. I think they went 10-1. Didn't play in a bowl because NCAA busted them for cheating (probation). Their quarterback went on to play tight end for the Raiders.

Yeah the 1977 Kentucky team only lost to Baylor. They beat Penn State that season in Lexington 24-20. A very underpowered 1977 Tennessee team only lost to them 21-17. Johnny Majors said he was most proud of that team for that performance(UK had beaten LSU 33-14 and Georgia 33-0 earlier in the season).

Thanks Dave. I didn't have time to watch the video before I asked the question. Thanks for posting all these videos of past UT games, brings back a lot of memories.

The 76' UK game was memorble for me b/c I was sitting in section OO with my Dad. I was 7 years old and there was an elderly UK fan sitting next to us who was sharing his bag of peanuts with me.

Reactions: 5 people
Ugh. I was sitting in the student section for that one. Awful then. Awful now. I didn't realize then how ineffective and boring Battles "Tennessee T" wishbone experiment was. Mostly it just got Stanley Morgan all beat up.

Some of those defenses were comical looking. Literally 9 guys within 5 yards of the ball. It's amazing that it took well into the 80s before anybody thought to spread things out on offense.

The 76' UK game was memorble for me b/c I was sitting in section OO with my Dad. I was 7 years old and there was an elderly UK fan sitting next to us who was sharing his bag of peanuts with me.

Now that's a nice memory...Seems everyone ran some form or another of the wishbone in those days...I always loved that offense but some teams just were not mean't to run it...UT was one of them...Gahhh!!

Now that's a nice memory...Seems everyone ran some form or another of the wishbone in those days...I always loved that offense but some teams just were not mean't to run it...UT was one of them...Gahhh!!

Randy Wallace was a drop back passer. If that idiot Bill Battle wanted seriously to run the wishbone he should have made freshman Jimmy Streater the quarterback. JS would have been an awesome wishbone quarterback.

Some of those defenses were comical looking. Literally 9 guys within 5 yards of the ball. It's amazing that it took well into the 80s before anybody thought to spread things out on offense.

The modified wishbone still works look at Georgia Tech and Air Force.

Randy Wallace was a drop back passer. If that idiot Bill Battle wanted seriously to run the wishbone he should have made freshman Jimmy Streater the quarterback. JS would have been an awesome wishbone quarterback.

The good news was that with no TV and lots of running, the games were over in 2 1/2 hours. Seriously.

Wasn't BYU the school that really got the wide open passing attack going?

Vandy tried to stop Tennessee from going on the field,i believe.

If it's the game I'm thinking of Tennessee was running off of the field after warm ups. Could be wrong though.

If it's the game I'm thinking of Tennessee was running off of the field after warm ups. Could be wrong though.

Yeah that was it,UT paid them back 45-0. I wish somebody would put the 91 UT-Vandy game on Youtube.

Bill Battle's last home game at Tennessee 1976

Geez Louise - what a horrible reminder. I was at that game. Had 4 UT student tix that I sold for $100. Thought I was a friggin millionaire. Then jumped the fence in the endzone to sneak in the game.

Believe the moving company showed up at his house on Sunday afternoon, correct??

Bill Battle's last home game at Tennessee 1976

Geez Louise - what a horrible reminder. I was at that game. Had 4 UT student tix that I sold for $100. Thought I was a friggin millionaire. Then jumped the fence in the endzone to sneak in the game.

Believe the moving company showed up at his house on Sunday afternoon, correct??

Johnny Majors called the folks who sent the moving van to Bill Battle's home,"Twisted Individuals".

Dale arte instigated it. He led the UT players right through Vandy players who were in their pre game warmups. All hell broke loose in the North endzone.

I'll see what I have on that game and load it up sometime/

Dale arte instigated it. He led the UT players right through Vandy players who were in their pre game warmups. All hell broke loose in the North endzone.

I'll see what I have on that game and load it up sometime/

I remember it. I was sitting in the stands and thought it was hilarious to see Carter run right through the middle of the Vandy warmups. I'd love to see video some time.

VN Store

Back