Kiffin declares recruiting war in Georgia

The more I read from other areas (Ga, Fla, Al etc.) the more I like Kiffin..... He has them all talking bout him and the Tennessee Vols and they are scared

It would be great to get verbals from some of these targeted prospects in the next week or two... just to keep the momemtum building for 2010.

Not to go all history dork on you guys, but Kiffin at this point looks like he is about to go General Sherman on Atlanta.

Tennessee, as most folks are aware, doesn’t produce much in the way of four- and five-star recruiting prospects. Georgia, as we all know, produces a lot.

I like this piece.

I am almost positive from watching this staff we will see a few suprises down the road. They never quit.

A key for Georgia is Rodney Garner. I think if you look for one reason for their success. It is Garner. He is flat out awesome in ATL. Martinez is more or less gone after the year. I don't see them giving Garner that job. There is some mixed feelings about Garner down there. I think they are tired of being played for the extra money with him threating to leave. But they know how valuable he is as a recruiter. Make no mistake about it. If he ends up somewhere else other than Georgia. They are going to be in trouble.

Garner wont go anywhere unless his wife approves. She is obsessed with the lifestyle of Atlanta and doesn't want to leave.

I agree there is no way he gets the DC job at Georgia. After the mess Martinez created, there is just no chance they promote an unproven guy like Garner for the role.

No idea what will happen with Garner but I don't blame UGA if they aren't getting tired of Garner always maneuvering for more money and promotion.

Also I think Tennessee has a real chance with Jeff Whitaker if they push hard. He's a great prospect IMO.

I am almost positive from watching this staff we will see a few suprises down the road. They never quit.

A key for Georgia is Rodney Garner. I think if you look for one reason for their success. It is Garner. He is flat out awesome in ATL. Martinez is more or less gone after the year. I don't see them giving Garner that job. There is some mixed feelings about Garner down there. I think they are tired of being played for the extra money with him threating to leave. But they know how valuable he is as a recruiter. Make no mistake about it. If he ends up somewhere else other than Georgia. They are going to be in trouble.

I can agree with this. As a Florida fan I have sort of been waiting for him to leave. He was also a key recruiter for 2 guys that we were a close #2 with...Da'Rick Rogers and TJ Stripling. I am hoping Georgia does something stupid and fires Richt so Florida can swoop in. Stripling may be a little more open though...he has listening to UF and he will be taking an official visit pretty soon. UT may try to get involved with him as well.

I really dont know how Stripling sky-rocketed up the rankings like he did. I was not overly impressed with him at Tennessee's camp. And I know Farrell said the reason Stripling jumped so much was because of his Tennessee camp performance...?
Strange.

He was the 5th best DE at camp. Tall and lengthy and decent athleticism but he is nowhere near the talents that Miller, Willis and Smith are IMO. Doesn't have the explosion.

I just like how the Atlanta media is perpetuating this story by writing about it in their own papers. AND including links to ours! bwahahahahaha

Stripling isn't as good as Miller but he is better than Willis. He is a different type of DE. He is a DE that Florida really likes...those tall, fast, and athletic DE's that can fly around the edge. I do agree that he is a little overrated but he is still a pretty good prospect. Da'Rick Rogers is a stud though. I really hope he gives us a 2nd look but it seems like he is very solid with UGA.

Stripling isn't as good as Miller but he is better than Willis. He is a different type of DE. He is a DE that Florida really likes...those tall, fast, and athletic DE's that can fly around the edge. I do agree that he is a little overrated but he is still a pretty good prospect. Da'Rick Rogers is a stud though. I really hope he gives us a 2nd look but it seems like he is very solid with UGA.

Willis is going to be a Strong Side DE or DT if he continues to grow. He reminds me a lot of Shaun Ellis actually. He's someone that will be a 6'5 290 lb Strong Side End in college or possibly DT. He is a very physical player and for his size does have good athleticism.

Smith and Miller are a lot more explosive than Stripling IMO. Both have a chance to become elite pass rushers in the SEC.

Stripling was probably the 4th or 5th best DE at UTs camp this summer. Not impressed. I'd take all 4 of our DE commits over him. jmo...

EDIT: I just saw where Montrell said he was the 5th too. I agree...

I don't know why someone said that Garner's wife is obsessed with Atlanta since they live in Athens. That's quite a hike down 316 to get to Atlanta. I think it has more to do with the fact that he has a home in Athens and is comfortable there. This is a guy who doesn't have an ego (a la Gran) and is quite successful doing what he is doing. I do think that if UGA loses him their recruiting will suffer big time.

I don't know why someone said that Garner's wife is obsessed with Atlanta since they live in Athens. That's quite a hike down 316 to get to Atlanta. I think it has more to do with the fact that he has a home in Athens and is comfortable there. This is a guy who doesn't have an ego (a la Gran) and is quite successful doing what he is doing. I do think that if UGA loses him their recruiting will suffer big time.

I think that was a reason given for him not accepting a position with the Vols when Kiffin was putting his staff together. Plus, he has younger kids that I don't think he wants to keep moving around.

I believe he was promised the DC position if it opens up when Garner was contemplating of going to us.

I believe he was promised the DC position if it opens up when Garner was contemplating of going to us.

I believe you are correct. I also believe he will not become DC when Martinez is fired. That is when things with Garner will get interesting IMO.

I believe you are correct. I also believe he will not become DC when Martinez is fired. That is when things with Garner will get interesting IMO.

That is when he will realize he got sweet talked to come back, but then there is the wifey.

we haven't recruited in georgia well since garner was on the staff... he's a great recruiter but mediocre coach.(t. taylor comes to mind, haha) would be nice to have a lock on that area again... many great players throughout the 90s became Vols because of garner

we haven't recruited in georgia well since garner was on the staff... he's a great recruiter but mediocre coach.(t. taylor comes to mind, haha) would be nice to have a lock on that area again... many great players throughout the 90s became Vols because of garner

I don't know where you are getting your position coach eval from but I don't agree...at all. Garner has done very well w/ DL recruits at Georgia and they have gotten the post season hardware and the lofty draft status to prove it. He is a well regarded position coach.

As for Taylor, he did wonders w/ our WRs when he was moved there. Meachem was considered a bust until Taylor moved over to WRs due to the lack of productivity at the position for many years beforehand. Also, he did reasonably well w/ several of our mediocre RBs when he was a position coach there, too. His stint w/ Ok St went well (as their offense has all it's stars back this season from last and aren't doing as well as last year) and his stint w/ Auburn so far has gone much better than expected.

Both Garner and Taylor are excellent position coaches, in addition to their recruiting skills.

Taylor was a great position coach. Anyone who says differently just doesn't know what they are talking about.

As for Tennessee's recruiting in Georgia it will get better and better as we head into '11 and '12. Ambles, Copeland and Taylor are very good starts and Tennessee is about to get AJ Johnson one of the Top 5 prospects in the state for next year.

That seems to be as far from the truth as anything I have heard or seen from the man. Gran and egomaniac do not seem to be Kosher.

That seems to be as far from the truth as anything I have heard or seen from the man. Gran and egomaniac do not seem to be Kosher.

I assumed he meant that to read that Gran doesn't have an ego. It threw me at first, too, but it would make no sense whatsoever the other way.

VN Store

Back