Randall Cobb to stay at Kentucky

JAllen18

VFL
"Alcoa High School senior quarterback Randall Cobb has decided to remain committed to Kentucky.

Cobb said Tuesday night that he has canceled his official visit to Tennessee set for this weekend. He called Tennessee assistant coach Dan Brooks to alert him of the decision.

Tennessee’s new offensive coordinator Dave Clawson also got a call from Cobb.

“He was supposed to come over to the house tonight (Tuesday night),” said Cobb, the 2007 Class 2A Mr. Football back. “But I called him and told him I’m firmly committed to Kentucky, that it wouldn’t be a good idea to come over.”

Cobb committed to Kentucky in June. He went on a visit to Lexington this past weekend and by the time he returned Sunday, he knew Kentucky was definitely the place for him.

“It was so good, talking with all the coaches and the players,” said Cobb. “It was perfect with all those guys. It just felt like home up there to me.”

Cobb rushed for 793 yards and 13 touchdowns on 88 carries this past season, also passing for 1,765 yards and 22 touchdowns on 89-for-138 passing. He threw only two interceptions in 15 games.

Cobb was intrigued by the avenue of possibly getting to play quarterback at Tennessee. That was something he thought he may not get to do at Kentucky, until this past weekend. Cobb said he “miscomprehended” what Kentucky quarterbacks coach Randy Sanders, a former UT offensive coordinator, had told him in a previous visit. Cobb said Tuesday he will get the chance to practice with the quarterbacks and attend the quarterbacks meetings and get a look at wide receiver. Cobb said Sanders nor coach Rich Brooks ever lied to him, and that when Sanders was thinking of possibly leaving to be coach at Western Carolina that he was “straight up” with Cobb about it.

Cobb also said he could be returning kicks and punts.

Now that the recruiting process has slowed, Cobb can return to normalcy.

“I’m pretty excited,” he said. “It has caused stress on my family. I just want that to be gone now.”

Now we cant even get the local kids to stay home...

OMG if he dominates at KY. i will be so pissed..
that would be another steal that got away from UT

I doubt we were really heavily recruiting him. I, for one, am not losing any sleep over a QB we don't necessarily need this year.

If we didn't pull him from Kraptucky then we obviously didn't want him all that bad. I wouldnt worry about the loss unless he can play D line

I doubt we were really heavily recruiting him. I, for one, am not losing any sleep over a QB we don't necessarily need this year.

Agree completely. Probably wouldn't even have played QB here so, if he plays QB up at Kentucky, then good for him.

He'll be a receiver in a few years...and Kentucky will be back in the cellar where they belong.

Guys, in this thread, we are starting to sound like UK basketball fans discussing UT's prospects for success in basketball. :no:

If he is going to be returning punts and kicks, I doubt that KY is seriously considering him QB material.

disappointig. This kid is a good player. He has great upside if he can get with the rich coaches (aka not Randy Sanders) and he is fast enough to play WR or DB. He could be a great scrambling QB.

whatever, in about five minutes we wont be able to remember his name. KY is where good football players go to die. Yes, they had a little blip on the screen this year, but it will not last.

i liked this kid but i doubt he would have done anything big here.....at QB i would rather have the kid Orhain Johnson.

it is kind of sad though, that we cant manage to pull a kid out of our own backyard....Leroy Thompson, Vince Redd, hello.

It was fully explained to Redd that he'd immediately be a DE at UT, but he wanted to be a LB, so went to UVA. I heard after a season or two, the Cavalier coaches suggested a move to DE, prompting his transfer to Liberty U. To his credit and for what its worth, he did play well at Liberty this last season at OLB, and one scout on the radio said he expects him to be drafted by some 3-4 team out there.

"Alcoa High School senior quarterback Randall Cobb has decided to remain committed to Kentucky.

Cobb said Tuesday night that he has canceled his official visit to Tennessee set for this weekend. He called Tennessee assistant coach Dan Brooks to alert him of the decision.

Tennessee’s new offensive coordinator Dave Clawson also got a call from Cobb.

“He was supposed to come over to the house tonight (Tuesday night),” said Cobb, the 2007 Class 2A Mr. Football back. “But I called him and told him I’m firmly committed to Kentucky, that it wouldn’t be a good idea to come over.”

Cobb committed to Kentucky in June. He went on a visit to Lexington this past weekend and by the time he returned Sunday, he knew Kentucky was definitely the place for him.

“It was so good, talking with all the coaches and the players,” said Cobb. “It was perfect with all those guys. It just felt like home up there to me.”

Cobb rushed for 793 yards and 13 touchdowns on 88 carries this past season, also passing for 1,765 yards and 22 touchdowns on 89-for-138 passing. He threw only two interceptions in 15 games.

Cobb was intrigued by the avenue of possibly getting to play quarterback at Tennessee. That was something he thought he may not get to do at Kentucky, until this past weekend. Cobb said he “miscomprehended” what Kentucky quarterbacks coach Randy Sanders, a former UT offensive coordinator, had told him in a previous visit. Cobb said Tuesday he will get the chance to practice with the quarterbacks and attend the quarterbacks meetings and get a look at wide receiver. Cobb said Sanders nor coach Rich Brooks ever lied to him, and that when Sanders was thinking of possibly leaving to be coach at Western Carolina that he was “straight up” with Cobb about it.

Cobb also said he could be returning kicks and punts.

Now that the recruiting process has slowed, Cobb can return to normalcy.

“I’m pretty excited,” he said. “It has caused stress on my family. I just want that to be gone now.”

Now we cant even get the local kids to stay home...

Has anyone noticed that Cobb still has not signed a LOI for Kentucky? He is still just listed as committed. Could he still be deciding between UK or UT?

VN Store

Back