2019 247 vs Rivals In-State Recruiting Discrepancies

VOLuptuousBOOMS

I know threads like this are taboo around these parts, but I found this interesting enough to create a thread. .

2019 247 vs Rivals in State Recruiting Discrepancies

Examples:

Woodi Washington - Rivals #1 vs 247 #9
Lance Wilhoite - Rivals #2 vs 247 #13
Trey Knox - Rivals #3 vs 247 #15
Adonis Otey - Rivals #4 vs 247 #33
Keveon Mullins - Rivals #5 vs 247 #12
Jackson Hannah - Rivals #7 vs 247 #16

Maurice Hampton 247 #1 vs Rivals #17
Bill Norton 247 #2 vs Rivals #9
Eric Gray 247 #3 vs Rivals #21
Kristian Williams #6 vs Rivals #12

Reactions: 2 people
Notice that basically all of the top ranked guys on Rivals are from the mid-state. I wonder if it has something to do with a certain organization centered there...

Reactions: 7 people
I know this isn't the proper form, but have y'all heard about TJ Sheffield's offer getting pulled by Notre Dame ?! We were in on him correct ?!

247’s Headquarters is in Brentwood

Which should raise a red flag to how they have some of those kids ranked low. Barton has always held mid state up high and beat their chest until this year. That tells me he must really not be very high on them.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd tend to take 247's evaluations over Rivals given their stronger presence in Tennessee, but also worth considering that most evaluations are at least somewhat out of date. Sometimes, very very out of date.

There will be many kids that get evaluated their Junior seasons and they'll play their entire Senior season without ever being re-evaluated by the recruiting services.

Reactions: 5 people
I'd tend to take 247's evaluations over Rivals given their stronger presence in Tennessee, but also worth considering that most evaluations are at least somewhat out of date. Sometimes, very very out of date.

There will be many kids that get evaluated their Junior seasons and they'll play their entire Senior season without ever being re-evaluated by the recruiting services.

If true this is a real disservice to the kids. Shame...

Here's the discrepancy...

If the player commits to us, he's underrated and about to get another star or two

If the players commits elsewhere, he's just another overrated player from ___________.....

Reactions: 1 person
I have heard that with Rivals you won't really get a high rating, or as high as deserved, if you don't go to a Rivals camp. Would make sense as Trey Smith did not camp with Rivals and was regarded as #1 player in the nation in ESPN and #4 in state of TN with Rivals. Also have heard that at least in mid state that if players played for a certain 7 on 7 select team they would receive higher rankings through Rivals than those that did not play for said team. I'm just hearing too much about Rivals in TN being more about who you play for and who you camp with rather than how good you truly are for me to be comfortable taking a Rivals ranking at face value again. Where there is smoke...., and I'm seeing a lot of smoke.

Reactions: 3 people
If true this is a real disservice to the kids. Shame...

I get your point but real recruiters don't base their evaluations on these services, they are more for generating fan interest. So a kid will get recruited if he's good regardless of how he's rated in these services. The best way to tell if a kid is the real deal is to look at his offer list after his HS senior season. You'll see big moves in these services on a number of kids based on who offers them. My point being its only a disservice to them with regard to fans taking notice. If they can play they'll get offers regardless of what the services say.

I know threads like this are taboo around these parts, but I found this interesting enough to create a thread. .

2019 247 vs Rivals in State Recruiting Discrepancies

Examples:

Woodi Washington - Rivals #1 vs 247 #9 Murfreesboro
Lance Wilhoite - Rivals #2 vs 247 #13 Nashville
Trey Knox - Rivals #3 vs 247 #15 Murfreesboro
Adonis Otey - Rivals #4 vs 247 #33 Murfreesboro
Keveon Mullins - Rivals #5 vs 247 #12 Memphis
Jackson Hannah - Rivals #7 vs 247 #16 Nashville

Maurice Hampton 247 #1 vs Rivals #17 Memphis
Bill Norton 247 #2 vs Rivals #9 Memphis
Eric Gray 247 #3 vs Rivals #21 Memphis
Kristian Williams #6 vs Rivals #12 Memphis

5/6 of the listed Rivals High-Discrepancy Players are from Mid-State
4/4 of the listed 247 High-Discrepancy Players are from Memphis

Seems as if 247 favors Memphis. Did 247 hold a camp in Memphis? Is a prominent 247 person in Memphis?

Seems as if Rivals favors the greater Nashville Area. Did they hold a camp there? Is a prominent Rivals person in Nashville?

Reactions: 4 people
5/6 of the listed Rivals High-Discrepancy Players are from Mid-State
4/4 of the listed 247 High-Discrepancy Players are from Memphis

Seems as if 247 favors Memphis. Did 247 hold a camp in Memphis? Is a prominent 247 person in Memphis?

Seems as if Rivals favors the greater Nashville Area. Did they hold a camp there? Is a prominent Rivals person in Nashville?

Good stuff here.

Ranking players isn't an exact science and bias definitely comes into play. Camping matters if you want your ranking to go up in most cases. Many kids camp and many don't. Woody and Simmons even said so on VQ board awhile back that the reason our TE commits, Brown and Lowe, didn't get a bump this spring is because they didn't camp. Those guys won't have an opportunity for a 4th star from Rivals until they play games this fall and more film is out. Or if analysts decide to go watch a game of theirs on a Friday night.

All of these rankings are subjective and will naturally vary from site to site.

Reactions: 3 people
Ranking players isn't an exact science and bias definitely comes into play. Camping matters if you want your ranking to go up in most cases. Many kids camp and many don't. Woody and Simmons even said so on VQ board awhile back that the reason our TE commits, Brown and Lowe, didn't get a bump this spring is because they didn't camp. Those guys won't have an opportunity for a 4th star from Rivals until they play games this fall and more film is out. Or if analysts decide to go watch a game of theirs on a Friday night.

All of these rankings are subjective and will naturally vary from site to site.

I don’t think anyone expects the recruiting services to not have some variation in where players are ranked. This list in the OP shows more than just slight variations. One sites number 1 player in the state is the other sites #17. That is a glaring disparity that appears to be a theme with TN kids.

I don’t think anyone expects the recruiting services to not have some variation in where players are ranked. This list in the OP shows more than just slight variations. One sites number 1 player in the state is the other sites #17. That is a glaring disparity that appears to be a theme with TN kids.

Oh I agree. I was just giving a general opinion on the topic. Clearly Woody Wommack has a woody for this years midstate kids.

VN Store

Back