Top 15 Power 5 talent-producing states over last 3 years

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This may have been discussed in other threads, but I thought this was interesting. Georgia at No. 3. Tennessee is No. 13.

[twitter]1014993786626338816[/twitter]

So if UT just recruited the areas of TN, GA, and NC, that’s a pool of about 65 top tier recruits annually. That’s a great recruiting base to start from.

Reactions: 6 people
Really goes to show how much the Atlanta metro area has grown over the past couple of decades, and now you have all this elite talent supplemented by the rest of GA.

I find it amazing that Alabama with a population of a couple of million less than Tennessee is 5 places higher. They must have an incredible high school system down there.

The ‘20 class will shoot Tennessee’s average way up. I believe we have 5-6 in the top 100 early rankings so far.

I think things are skewed a little since the Big 10 is considered a "Power" conference for some reason. So some northern states sneak in there, when the truth is that most yankees couldn't cut it in the SEC, nor could their teams up there. OSU would be about on par with TAMU.

Population, HS football culture, demographics. CA has 39MM people, yet only #4 on the list, averaging about 40 per year, triple the population of GA, but GA puts out more talent, which I'm glad we're getting our fair share.

Reactions: 1 person
What is it about Florida that produces an obscene amount of talent per sq.mi ? I know weather influences it, but it's crazy how much comes out of there.

I’m too lazy to do the work but I wonder how this correlates to population? California Florida Texas are in the top five. Outside that, I don’t know but I suspect it’s a good correlation.

How does Ohio produce that much talent? They must all stay north.

Population and tradition. Football is as big in Ohio as it is in Texas. Most stay in the midwest. Michigan, ND, MSU, etc. all load up on Ohio talent in addition to OSU usually getting the elite talent.

I find it amazing that Alabama with a population of a couple of million less than Tennessee is 5 places higher. They must have an incredible high school system down there.

Look at Georgia with their population. They overproduce more than most.

If you take away huge Senior population from Florida, more of the same.

I expected SC to be much higher.

In NY, basketball and Lacrosse are obviously higher priorities than football. #3 population without top 20 football representation for recruits.

Genetics play a role too, In Colorado football is a big thing but not that much blue chip talent in the state which has been growing like crazy 4.5 million and rising by about 2-300,000 a year.

Last edited:
Out of curioustiy could someone do a ranking based on per capita production?

VN Store

Back