6'5'' | 220 LBS
CLASS OF 2019
Diablo Valley CC

Rivals.com

[twitter]987883182359040000[/twitter]

[hudl]3/7693805/5a15d0104df5dd2164827d33[/hudl]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The trip from California to Knoxville is not the shortest one, but it pales in comparison to quarterback Jarrod Hoyer's journey to being recruited. Hoyer who has been at four different schools in the last five years took his first recruiting visit over the weekend, an unofficial visit to Tennessee. “It was amazing,” Hoyer said. “I don't even know if I can describe it. I have never been on a visit. It was special. We had a great tour on Friday and met with the coaches. And the spring game atmosphere was great.”

Hoyer is a 6-foot-5, 220 pound quarterback who currently plays at Diablo Valley Community College. Hoyer was a full qualifier out of high school but injuries, a transfer and a different position sent him down the junior college path. “I went to Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland for my first three years,” Hoyer explained. “I was hurt my junior year. I actually had a stress fracture in my L4 vertebrae the doctors said occurred from growing. I grew 4 inches in less than a year.”

As a senior, Hoyer transferred to Dougherty Valley High School because it was closer to home. He made that move just weeks before the start of fall practice. Dougherty Valley already had a quarterback. So Hoyer found himself playing wide receiver after being a quarterback all of his life. Hoyer finished the year back at quarterback because of an injury to the starter. With a lack of game tape and a new high school, colleges didn't come calling. So Hoyer landed at Laney Community College in Oakland where he grayshirted in football and played baseball. After a year at Laney, Hoyer moved to Diablo Valley Community College where he is now, playing in every game last season.

It was a longstanding relationship that has brought Tennessee into the picture. “Kevin Simon is the new director of player personnel at Tennessee. He knows the quarterback coach I work with, Matt Gutierrez. Coach Simon and the coaches watched my film. Tennessee reached out to me a month ago. They invited me to come out for their spring game.”

“For this next year, they said they are in the market for a guy with some experience either a juco or transfer guy.” “My first two years of high school I was in a pro-style offense. Now I'm in more of a spread offense. But I'm more of a drop back pro style guy,” Hoyer said. “I think it fits me. “I was in the quarterback meetings on Friday. I visited with Coach Helton and he told me that he was going to come out in spring practice to see me throw.”

- VQ

As a full qualifier out of HS, Hoyer could come out of JUCO this summer and enroll in fall somewhere but he's planning to stay in JUCO one more season.

Reactions: 4 people
So theoretically could this kid be on campus by next summer or fall? I'd hope so. I'd rather add a JUCO QB in 2019 than in 2020 (where it looks like we'll have a good shot at Harrison Bailey).

Hoyer_12_headshots.jpg

QB
6'5" 220lbs
Diablo Valley CC

[twitter]987883182359040000[/twitter]

[hudl]3/7693805/5a15d0104df5dd2164827d33[/hudl]

Thanks RS. Great arm, poise under fire, 6-5, and accuracy. His most impressive attribute is his release. On every throw his release is 3 seconds or less. He’s been well coached...Only questions are; 1. How evasive is he in the pocket. 2. The status of his spinal issue. (from growing 4 inches in one year)

Thanks RS. Great arm, poise under fire, 6-5, and accuracy. His most impressive attribute is his release. On every throw his release is 3 seconds or less. He’s been well coached...Only questions are; 1. How evasive is he in the pocket. 2. The status of his spinal issue. (from growing 4 inches in one year)

FWIW, he completed less than 50% of his passes last year. I’d say that’s a pretty big question too

Reactions: 3 people
I’d worry about it too, but iirc Shrout threw like 100 interceptions his senior year. Seems like the staff looks for tools above other things.

We’ll see if this guy gets an offer before we know for sure.

I’m not sure we should read too much into Shrout yet. He was about the best left we could snag in the last class. If Pruitt and Helton had had more than a few months to find a QB, no telling if he’d have been their guy.

Reactions: 1 person
Dont like this idea at all. Why would we be looking at a JUCO QB?
If JG can’t be good enough to beat out Chryst of all people, he’s not the QB we want moving forward. He may not be around in 2019 if that’s the case.

If something like that happens on the JG front, then getting a JUCO QB (not necessarily this guy) or another grad transfer at QB makes sense. It’s not ideal though.

On other travel note, offensive coordinator Tyson Helton was in California on Wednesday to check in on several prospects including JUCO QB Jarrod Hoyer

Hoyer visited Tennessee for the spring game. He doesn't have a Tennessee offer at this point, but the Vols are evaluating him as they look for a quarterback in the class of 2019.

-VQ

VN Store

Back