Offense Wins Championships.
4_8209672.JPG

OLB, WDE
6-5
CLASS OF 19
BOONEVILLE, MS

Sam Williams, Northeast Mississippi C.C., Outside Linebacker

Samuel Williams - Hudl

rising sophomore linebacker/defensive end sam williams of northeast mississippi community college in booneville, miss., posted saturday on his twitter account that he received a scholarship offer from tennessee.

"i want to thank god for blessing me with the ability (to receive) a football scholarship to the university of tennessee," he tweeted.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound williams, who played at lee high school in montgomery, ala., also has reported offers from uab, alcorn state, western carolina, virginia state and west alabama.

He recorded 53 tackles, 3.5 sacks and three fumble recoveries as a freshman at northeast mississippi.

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like we're his first offer. Sometimes that resonates with recruits as they go through the process. Hopefully it plays in our favor.

Reactions: 5 people
;). I would say less than 10% of the time it actually makes a difference.

In the relative short time I've been following recruiting, I've read or heard countless times where a recruit has said how it stood out to them that X school was the first to offer them.

Conversely, I've never heard a kid say "That school was the first to offer me, so they can go **** themselves."

Reactions: 1 person
In the relative short time I've been following recruiting, I've read or heard countless times where a recruit has said how it stood out to them that X school was the first to offer them.

Conversely, I've never heard a kid say "That school was the first to offer me, so they can go **** themselves."

He’s got made up PERCENTAGES tho! How are we supposed to take you seriously? :lol:

Reactions: 3 people

But one guy picked another school so...science?

Reactions: 2 people
Kid is originally from Alabama.... Now you see they kind of players Saban can literally go get at LB without driving over an hour for an in-house visit. Can’t teach that size at LB.

Breaker, we get it. Bama has good talent. We have been making strides the last few years. Let's hope the state of Tennessee continues to develop bumper crop athletes and becomes the hotbed of the South; while cherry picking the elite from the state every NSD. CJP will get us in on the top talent every year, regardless of the state from which they hail.

Reactions: 6 people
Breaker, we get it. Bama has good talent. We have been making strides the last few years. Let's hope the state of Tennessee continues to develop bumper crop athletes and becomes the hotbed of the South; while cherry picking the elite from the state every NSD. CJP will get us in on the top talent every year, regardless of the state from which they hail.

No I’m saying this is how easy it’s been for Saban. He doesn’t have to go anywhere. I can tell you the amount of kids qualifying there will go up soon too. Best thing is Pruitt can go in and win battles there

Reactions: 3 people
No I’m saying this is how easy it’s been for Saban. He doesn’t have to go anywhere. I can tell you the amount of kids qualifying there will go up soon too. Best thing is Pruitt can go in and win battles there

Exactly. He's been able to build a strong base roster of his player types from the immediate area and then go upgrade from the rest of the nation as he can reel them in. We don't have that luxury. We consider our immediate areas as being Atlanta, Nashville, etc.; which is a 3-4 hour drive versus a 1-2 for Bama. The farther away you go from campus the less the loyalty and rabid interest.

Exactly. He's been able to build a strong base roster of his player types from the immediate area and then go upgrade from the rest of the nation as he can reel them in. We don't have that luxury. We consider our immediate areas as being Atlanta, Nashville, etc.; which is a 3-4 hour drive versus a 1-2 for Bama. The farther away you go from campus the less the loyalty and rabid interest.

That’s what makes him so good. Mack Wilson, Shaun Dion Hamilton and Evans were all out of Montgomery. He drove 45 minutes to seal the deal with Da’Ron Payne. It’s easy work for him to build a roster.

Williams was on campus this weekend...

“I loved it,” said Williams, who also holds offers from Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Oregon and Maryland, among others. “The facilities, it’s like everything’s close together. The dorm, you just walk across the street. I mean, they’ve got good food. We went to eat. It was so good. “I mean, it felt like somewhere I could be home, where I won’t feel kind of lonely, I guess you could say.”

“I saw the campus,” he said. “We talked. I met with all the coaches. I took some pictures with the uniform on. I saw the football field, went inside the stadium. I was very impressed with the stadium. (I was) just hanging out with the coaches and stuff. It was pretty fun. “To be honest, I mean, looking on TV and stuff, the stadium and stuff looked real big. But it’s another experience being inside of it. It’s huge, and I could see myself on that field.”

“because I’ve only been to visit three teams, so I can't really say who’s my favorite and who’s not.”

Like Middleton, he has no rankings. Middleton is because he didn't play the past season. I'm assuming that is the case with this kid as well?

Considering we seem to be in a good spot with Lakia Henry, another JUCO OLB this cycle, and we took Jordan Allen, I took a look at our olb depth chart and linebacker depth chart overall to see why we're looking for older guys instead of focusing on true freshman recruits. Didn't realize how light we are, depth wise. By the time the '19 kids come on to campus, it might just be Ignont, Bitulli, and Peterson (if he lives up to potential) as established guys. Maybe Sapp too.

Like Middleton, he has no rankings. Middleton is because he didn't play the past season. I'm assuming that is the case with this kid as well?

Considering we seem to be in a good spot with Lakia Henry, another JUCO OLB this cycle, and we took Jordan Allen, I took a look at our olb depth chart and linebacker depth chart overall to see why we're looking for older guys instead of focusing on true freshman recruits. Didn't realize how light we are, depth wise. By the time the '19 kids come on to campus, it might just be Ignont, Bitulli, and Peterson (if he lives up to potential) as established guys. Maybe Sapp too.

Eligibility wise in 19 you have Kirkland, Ignont, Bituli, Sapp, Taylor, Allen, Smith, Peterson, Page, Reid, Johnson...I feel like I might be missing one or two...

There is the chance that Bituli or one of the others has a monster year and leaves early...there’s also the chance that Kirkland doesn’t get a RS but that seems unlikely to me (he missed all of last year...how is he not a JR this year?)...

But honestly, I think the current approach to recruiting LBs is as much an indication of how th staff feels about the current roster than anything..,I don’t think they’re convinced yet that they have the talent and depth to compete at a high level...regardless of the star ratings of the recruits listed above

Eligibility wise in 19 you have Kirkland, Ignont, Bituli, Sapp, Taylor, Allen, Smith, Peterson, Page, Reid, Johnson...I feel like I might be missing one or two...

There is the chance that Bituli or one of the others has a monster year and leaves early...there’s also the chance that Kirkland doesn’t get a RS but that seems unlikely to me (he missed all of last year...how is he not a JR this year?)...

But honestly, I think the current approach to recruiting LBs is as much an indication of how th staff feels about the current roster than anything..,I don’t think they’re convinced yet that they have the talent and depth to compete at a high level...regardless of the star ratings of the recruits listed above

Agreed, maybe Pruitt thinks that some of the guys on the roster are too small at LB?

Bates was at 224#, Reid 215#, Page 207# last fall. Ignont (228#) looked like he wasn't motivated to play in the spring game for some reason.

OTOH Peterson was recruited at 231#, Allen 240#, Garland 240#, and Mincey 255# (LB or DE?).

Kirkland is only one of maybe 12 guys that should get a RS for 2017 IMO.

Agreed, maybe Pruitt thinks that some of the guys on the roster are too small at LB?

Bates was at 224#, Reid 215#, Page 207# last fall. Ignont (228#) looked like he wasn't motivated to play in the spring game for some reason.

OTOH Peterson was recruited at 231#, Allen 240#, Garland 240#, and Mincey 255# (LB or DE?).

Kirkland is only one of maybe 12 guys that should get a RS for 2017 IMO.

Allen is 6'6 255

Garland and Mincey are DL. Both DEs

Page, Ried were recruited for a postion that doesn't even exist in ANY of our new defensive looks.

Taylor, Smtih, Bituli, Kirkland, Allen, Ignot, Johnson and Sapp all are big enough to be effective in the scheme.

Allen is 6'6 255

Allen is not 6'6 255. Rivals listed him at 6'5 230. 247 and ESPN at 6'4 230.

They'll be able to put some weight on him by the fall (I'm sure he already did bulk up in the spring), but 6'6 255 is freakishly large. That's basically the size Clowney entered the draft at (taller, actually, but a little lighter).

VN Store

Back