CLASS OF 21
MELBOURNE, FL
(HOLY TRINITY EPISCOPAL ACADEMY)

James BlackStrain, Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy, Wide Receiver

Rivals.com

James BlackStrain - Hudl

[twitter]971469912161046528[/twitter]

Last edited:
class of 2021 wide receiver james blackstrain of holy trinity episcopal academy in melbourne, fla., posted wednesday afternoon on his twitter account that he received a scholarship offer from tennessee.

The 6-foot-2, 165-pound blackstrain referred to tennessee as his "dream school" in announcing the offer.

"blessed and honored to receive an offer from my dream school the university of tennessee #gbo #vfl #rockytop," he tweeted.

Blackstrain also holds early offers from kentucky and middle tennessee.

He's expected to be one of the top wide receivers from the state of florida in the 2021 class.

Reactions: 2 people
expected to be...I'll have to strain to remember that once he can actually sign.

Reactions: 1 person
Melbourne, Florida wide receiver James BlackStrain didn't know it was coming, but the offer from Tennessee left BlackStrain extremely happy. In a tweet, the 2021 receiver called Tennessee a dream school and said the Vols have just always been a school that he has liked.

“They just stand out to me,” BlackStrain said. “They are attractive. I have other offers, but I'm really excited about the Tennessee.”

The 6-2, 165 pound BlackStrain has never been to Knoxville, but has watched the Vols through the years and a couple of former Vols have had his attention for a while. “They have a couple of guys like Alvin Kamara and Peyton Manning,” BlackStrain said. “Those guys are guys I have watched.”

Tennessee coaches were by Holy Trinity Academy in Melbourne back in the winter and BlackStrain has spoke to the coaches some. On Wednesday, the receiver was in school when he got the good news. “I was at school and coach called me out of class and told me. I was every excited. It makes me want to work even harder,” BlackStrain said.

To date, the Florida native has three offers with more offers to follow as everyone looks for prospects dynamic with the ball in their hand.

“I think I make plays. Schools are looking for playmakers. I play hard and push myself. I try to help my teammates. I try to lead and push my team harder,” BlackStrain said.

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
james blackstrain held tennessee in high regard long before he visited the vols on friday for the first time. When the class of 2021 wide receiver from holy trinity episcopal academy in melbourne, fla., received a scholarship offer from tennessee last month, he called it his “dream school.” and he said the vols are “at the top of my list” following his first trip to knoxville. “when we toured the school, it was very, very nice and the facilities were great,” said blackstrain, who holds early offers from kentucky, north carolina and middle tennessee in addition to the vols. “the stadium was huge, and i liked the environment.”

blackstrain said friday’s visit to tennessee “met my expectations,” and he “might visit again soon,” perhaps as early as this summer. “i liked the stadium the most,” he said, referring to the vols’ neyland stadium. "it was surprising in person.” during the visit, blackstrain spoke with new vols wide receivers coach david johnson and offensive graduate assistant cameron clemmons.

“it was my first time talking to them in person, but i talked to them over the phone,” blackstrain said. “they said they know they’re starting (with me) early, but they just wanted to build a relationship with me. “(they like) my hands and my wingspan and my catching radius. I’m still growing because i’m very young. I’m big right now, but i’m going to get bigger.”

blackstrain said he enjoyed talking with johnson — better known to many players and recruits by his nickname, “coach yac,” which refers to yards after catch — during his stay at tennessee. “he was just telling me to keep on working and keep getting better,” blackstrain said of johnson.

The vols’ new strength and conditioning coach, craig fitzgerald, was among the other members of new tennessee head coach jeremy pruitt’s staff who spoke with blackstrain on friday while he was in knoxville. “i met the strength coach. I liked it,” blackstrain said. "it was a good workout he was giving out today. He showed me a couple of the workouts they did.”

blackstrain said he started as a freshman last season at holy trinity episcopal, catching 27 passes for 555 yards — an average of 20.6 yards per reception — along with seven touchdowns. The recruiting process is just getting started for blackstrain, who picked up his latest offer last week from north carolina, and he said he’s in no hurry to decide on a school. He said he “really” doesn’t “know yet” when he might make his choice.

Reactions: 1 person
uh....we're not really recruiting this kid at all. nothing to see.

VN Store

Back