'19 JUCO LB Lakia Henry (Former UT commit)

Ron Swanson

Offense Wins Championships.
4_8136845.jpg

ILB
6-1
CLASS OF 19
VIDALIA, GA
(VIDALIA COMPREHENSIVE)

Lakia Henry, Dodge City C.C., Inside Linebacker

Rivals.com

Lakia Henry - Hudl

[twitter]966486369764888576[/twitter]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
four-star junior linebacker lakia henry of dodge city (kan.) community college posted wednesday night on his twitter account that he received a scholarship offer from tennessee.

"extremely blessed and honored to receive another offer from the university of tennessee !!!! #govols !!" he tweeted.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound henry holds offers from at least 10 schools, including alabama, texas, texas a&m, nebraska, ole miss, kentucky, arizona state, iowa state and syracuse.

Henry, a former standout at vidalia (ga.) high school, is ranked by 247sports as the no. 2 overall junior-college prospect and no. 1 juco inside linebacker in the 2019 class. He's currently planning to graduate from dodge city in december and enroll at the school of his choice in january.

Reactions: 3 people
After getting scholarship offers last week from a couple of other SEC schools, Lakia Henry figured it was only a matter of time before he also picked up an offer from Tennessee. But that didn’t make it any less exciting for him when it happened. The four-star sophomore linebacker from Dodge City (Kan.) Community College said he was happy to get an offer from the Vols on Wednesday during a conversation with new Tennessee offensive quality control assistant Joe Osovet, and he’s already planning to visit the Vols next month. “That was big-time,” Henry said of his offer from Tennessee. “I was expecting that one. That was an offer I was really expecting to have. “I’ve been interested in Tennessee because I’m from Georgia, so that’s not too far from Tennessee.”

“He liked the way I play,” Henry said of Osovet. “He said he liked how physical I am. He liked the way I make plays and all those things. And then he called my coaches, and he was like, I have good character and all that good stuff. “He was just (saying) I have experience, and most people that come to a D-I school from a junior college don’t usually sit out. I have to work, but he was like, they have big plans for juco guys.” Henry, who racked up 110 tackles, 2.5 sacks and an interception during his first season at Dodge City, said he’s intrigued by a few of the things the Vols have to offer.

“Their stadium, it’s 102,000 people every Saturday,” he said. “That’s a big stadium, man. It’s the biggest one so far. And they’ve got really nice jerseys. “I love the way they run their defense. They’re fast and they’re physical. I like the way they play. It’s a place that I can see (being a) fit, but every school is in the race right now. It’s nobody really in front, but Tennessee might can take the lead. Ole Miss might can take the lead. “It’s all dependent on how the recruiting process goes, really.”

"I’m not trying to really go all the way far (away),” he said. “But being in Kansas really taught me, it don’t matter how far you go. Just whichever school is offering the best scholarships and things of that sort.”

Henry, who plans to graduate from Dodge City in December and enroll at the school of his choice in January, said he “will probably commit to a school right before the season starts.” While he’s in no hurry to make his choice, he said he already has a plan for using his five official visits and has an idea of some of the other schools he might visit.

“I’m taking three (official visits) in the summer, and I’m going to take two during the season,” he said, later referring to Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Iowa State, Tennessee and Alabama as possible official-visit destinations. “I want to go to Texas, too,” Henry added. “I want to go to all the schools, really. It’s really a hard, hard decision.”

Henry is planning to visit UT March 17 during his spring break when he travels home to GA.

Henry is planning to visit UT March 17 during his spring break when he travels home to GA.

All these extra support staff coaches are really putting in work. I may be wrong but I don't remember any of them under Butch or Dooley getting mentioned by recruits. Of course I don't think we had nearly as many of them then either. Oddly enough the only one I remember getting much praise at all was Terry Fair.

All these extra support staff coaches are really putting in work. I may be wrong but I don't remember any of them under Butch or Dooley getting mentioned by recruits. Of course I don't think we had nearly as many of them then either. Oddly enough the only one I remember getting much praise at all was Terry Fair.

Fair definitely got some mentions. I also seem to remember a GA who worked with D-linemen getting several mentions at some point, but I can't remember his name. Sunseri and Osovet seem to be making an impact already though. I hope we start hearing more about Hardesty and Simon. I'm really excited to have those 2 on board.

Fair definitely got some mentions. I also seem to remember a GA who worked with D-linemen getting several mentions at some point, but I can't remember his name. Sunseri and Osovet seem to be making an impact already though. I hope we start hearing more about Hardesty and Simon. I'm really excited to have those 2 on board.

the OL guy we still have got some mentions as well. I was wanting to say his name was Ollie but I may be confusing him with the recruit.

Reactions: tabrams
the OL guy we still have got some mentions as well. I was wanting to say his name was Ollie but I may be confusing him with the recruit.

Kevin Ollie. Last year’s Tino Sunseri.

Tennessee pursuing No. 2 JUCO prospect in Class of 2019 the hardest

Linebacker Lakia Henry has been talking with the Vols staff, primarily defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer, and he picked up a Tennessee offer last Wednesday.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound JUCO prospect could provide some immediate depth in the middle of the Tennessee defense in 2019. Pruitt plans to switch to a 3-4 defense predicated on strong linebacker play.

Pruitt needs inside linebackers who can control the middle of the field. Henry fits that mold.

“I’m really aggressive at the point of attack,” Henry told SEC Country. “I can really take on blockers that are bigger than me. I’m a good sideline-to-sideline runner. I used to play running back, and that has helped me a lot.”

“Playing time is big,” Henry said. “I want to come right away and play. Not saying that I deserve anything. I know I’m going to have to work for it. I want to have a fair shot to compete for a spot.”

Henry also values the facilities of programs and his relationship with the coaching staff. The Vidalia, Ga., product has been impressed with what the new coaching staff has brought to Tennessee. He wants to know them more and see the campus when he takes a visit sometime in the middle of March.

“The staff is good for the program,” Henry said. “Tennessee has always had a good football team. I feel like a staff like this can really bring them back to the way the program used to be. I’m excited about the coaching staff.

Henry plans to commit by the time this season begins.

-- Blake Morgan
Full Article HERE

Last edited:
True FR in 15... played 16 missed entire 17 season....

For sure can apply for 5th season... don't know why he is not classified as RS Jr now...

Yeah I messed that up. He could ditch us as a graduate transfer (don’t think that’ll happen). But he has had a mess of injuries over the years.

Glad to see the Vols going the JUCO route, Pruitt needs immediate impact players SEC pressure to win is undeniable. What are y'all thoughts on the kids film ?

four-star linebacker lakia henry of dodge city (kan.) community college told 247sports' hank south that he's planning to visit tennessee on may 11.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound henry, who played at vidalia (ga.) high school, will be visiting the vols for the first time after getting a scholarship offer from new tennessee coach jeremy pruitt's staff nearly two months ago.

Henry now holds offers from more than a dozen schools, including alabama, ole miss, texas a&m, nebraska, texas, miami, south carolina, kentucky, missouri and kansas state.

He said monday that the vols are one of the teams recruiting him hardest. He said he has been in contact with joe osovet — the former coach at asa college in brooklyn, n.y., who now works in player development at tennessee — along with vols defensive coordinator kevin sherrer.

Henry is ranked by 247sports as the no. 2 overall junior-college prospect and no. 1 juco inside linebacker in the 2019 class. He racked up 110 tackles, 2.5 sacks and an interception last season at dodge city.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back