WR
6-2
CLASS OF 20
SAVANNAH, GA
(BENEDICTINE MILITARY SCHOOL)

OFFERS - UGA, WKy, VOLS

[HUDL]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9700238/5a5ff0c6ab938f34ec6e5077[/HUDL]

Last edited:
Rico Powers has been known as a football and basketball star in Savannah, Ga. at Benedictine, but he has given up the hard court to focus on the gridiron. The four-star wide receiver is running track this season to stay in shape and work on his speed, but he knows his football is his future. Western Kentucky was first to offer the Rivals250 talent. Georgia then offered last year while watching him practice basketball. Since then, offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tennessee among others have rolled in. He knows this is a big off-season for him.

"I have given up basketball to focus on football," said Powers. "I will run the 100m, 200m and do all the jumps in track, but I am focused on football now. "I had 23 touchdowns my junior season, but I know I can get better. I look at this year compared to last year, and I can tell a difference. I had a good season. I had 16 rushing touchdowns playing the wing in our offense and the others were receiving.

"The schools showing the most interest right now are Georgia, Purdue and Arkansas. Georgia has been down to check on me, I have been talking a lot to coach Chad Morris (Head coach) and Justin Stepp (Wide receivers) a lot and Purdue has really been on me. They have not offered yet, but they are showing a lot of interest. "Other schools that haven't offered that are showing interest are Florida State, Florida and South Florida.

"I am just working to get out there to camps and show what I can do this year. I am waiting, staying patient and just seeing who all offers me. I want to wait it out, see what options I have and all that before I commit. I am focused now on showing my abilities on the field. "I want to get out and take more visits. I have only visited Georgia and South Carolina so far. I want to take visits to Arkansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee and schools like that. I just want to see other schools and see if I like it. "I could commit early if I see the right fit, but right now, I am thinking it will happen right after my senior season. I am just looking for the right fit."

-Rivals

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Rico Powers, a 4-star receiver from Savannah, made his way to campus for the first time, participating on Cam Newton’s 7-on-7 team. Powers said contact with Tennessee had cooled off until it recently picked back up. He’s hoping to further build a relationship with Tee Martin, as Tennessee “has everything else I want.”

“This was my first time here. I got to see a little bit of the facilities, of the town. I like how it is. I like the stadium, too. It was nice,” Powers told Volquest.

“I just really liked the environment. It’s a calm, cool city. Tennessee is right there. We just kind of lost contact, so that faded away, but if I get back in contact with them more they’ll be right there.”

- VQ

“I’ve been wanting to get up here,” Powers said. “This was my first time. I got to see a little bit of the facilities, of the town. I like how it is. I like the stadium, too. It was nice.”

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound wideout holds close to 20 offers and recently named a Top 5 of Auburn, Nebraska, Oregon, South Carolina and NC State. Still, Powers said his recruitment is wide open and his interest level in Tennessee remains “high.”

“Tennessee is right there,” he said.

“We just kind of lost contact, so that faded away, but if I get back in contact with them more they’ll be right there.

Thursday was a nice start.

Powers said he was greeted warmly by the staff and talked with receivers coach Tee Martin. The fact he felt so comfortable in and around campus helped, too.

“They was happy to see me. They was happy to get me up here. They were like my third offer, so they were excited to get me up here for the first time,” he said.

“(Tee Martin) was definitely saying they want to get in more contact, build that relationship. I just really liked the environment. It’s a calm, cool city.”

Asked what Tennessee could do to make its way seriously back into the mix, Powers said, “just building that relationship with me. That’s all I want. They have everything else I want.”

Powers will be at Georgia for another 7-on-7 tournament next week and then plans to being taking official visits before a late summer decision.

“I want to be committed before my season,” he said.
-VQ

VN Store

Back