CB
6-2
CLASS OF 19
PASADENA, CA
(JOHN MUIR)

Elijah Blades, Arizona Western College, Cornerback

Rivals.com

Elijah Blades - Hudl

Vols and LSU both offered today. Originally Blades was a 4 star out of Cali who was committed to UF but signed with Nebraska in 2017 class but ended up at JUCO.

[twitter]966037759595958272[/twitter]

Last edited by a moderator:
class of 2019 cornerback elijah blades of arizona western college in yuma, ariz., posted tuesday on his twitter account that he received a scholarship offer from tennessee.

"blessed to say that i have received an offer from the university of tennessee," he tweeted.

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound blades also added an offer tuesday night from lsu. He previously had reported offers from ole miss, illinois, florida atlantic and unlv.

Blades once was committed to florida and signed with nebraska coming out of john muir high school in pasadena, calif., before deciding to enroll at arizona western last year. He's expected to be one of the top junior-college prospects in the 2019 class.

Very talented CB prospect

I think 247 had him close to a 5* by the end of 2017 class

[twitter]988824926709690368[/twitter]

Head football coach at Arizona Western CC - this kids school

Reactions: 4 people
Got Merton Hanks neck.
[Twitter]988839028727271424[/Twitter]

Got Merton Hanks neck.
[Twitter]988839028727271424[/Twitter]

Merton Hanks is way before most of these posters time. I was going to make a comment the other day about Ronnie Lott having his finger cut off on the bench during a game because they told him he would be out for six weeks. Then I realized most wouldn't know who he is.

Merton Hanks is way before most of these posters time. I was going to make a comment the other day about Ronnie Lott having his finger cut off on the bench during a game because they told him he would be out for six weeks. Then I realized most wouldn't know who he is.

Merton Hanks had a natural ability to turn his head and find the ball. Really kept his head on a swivel. :)

Reactions: 2 people

I don’t cater to the relative neophytes...let em Wikipedia I say! :aggressive:

247 article coming off a visit to LSU...

“I liked LSU a lot, I think it’s a place I can really flourish,” Blades said. “The coaches were great with me and treated me like family and that’s what I’m looking for. They made it clear to me that they need corners and there’s an opportunity to play early there. “Since I’m coming from a JUCO, early playing time is big for me. My dream is to make it to the League (NFL) so I want the opportunity to play right away and I think LSU offers that chance."

“The ones I’m most comfortable with are LSU, Miami, South Carolina, Tennessee and Oregon,” Blades said. “I’m not closing any doors with any other schools but those are the ones that I have the best relationships with right now.” Blades talked about each school and what stands out about them:

Miami- “I really like Miami and they told me they want to bring in a JC corner in this class. They have a great reputation and tradition and I think I could fit in well there. It just seems like a great place to be and I’m looking forward to taking a visit out there. Mike Rumph is the coach I'm talking with and I like him a lot so I was really excited when I got that offer, that was big for me.”

South Carolina- “Their DC, Travaris Robinson, was at Florida when they had a ton of defensive backs get to the League. He coached guys like Vernon Hargraves, Jalen Tabor and a few others and he’s a great DB coach. I also know one of their corners, Keisean Nixon, who plays there and is from Southern California and played here at Arizona Western and he likes it there a lot.”

Tennessee- “Terry Fair is recruiting me and we have a good relationship. He’s a quality coach and I think I can come in and help them win some games. They told me they don’t have a lot of depth right now at corner and I could come in and play right away. They have a new staff and I think they’re going in the right direction.”

Oregon- “The two DB coaches they have, Keith Heyward and Donte Williams, are two guys I have known for a long time. They both recruited me out of high school and I have a really good relationship with both of them so there’s a strong comfort level there. They need corners bad too, they really don’t have much depth at all so I can make an early impact.”

- Greg Biggins, 247

Blades said he's much more focused on school now than in HS. 4.0gpa last summer and 3.5 in the fall. Said biggest things he's looking for are being comfortable with the coaching staff, a chance to play right away and family atmosphere. Says he'll try to take more visit this spring and summer.

“Also, hearing that JUCO CB Elijah Blades from Arizona Western is hoping to be here sometime in mid June for a couple days for unofficial visit.”

Hubbs

Reactions: 12 people
“Also, hearing that JUCO CB Elijah Blades from Arizona Western is hoping to be here sometime in mid June for a couple days for unofficial visit.”

Hubbs

That’s the school where his head coach made remarks about opening up a pipeline to UT, iirc.

He could be the first blue chip corner prospect Pruitt lands.

That’s the school where his head coach made remarks about opening up a pipeline to UT, iirc.

He could be the first blue chip corner prospect Pruitt lands.

In the last 2 year we’ve gotten Kongbo, Wood Anderson and Jahmir Johnson all from Arizona Western. I’d say they have a soft spot for us :)

Make that the #1, #10 and #16 overall juco players. Blades would make that the #5 overall too

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
The 6-foot-2, 175-pound corner has legit 4.4 speed with tremendous length and has garnered offers from tons of top programs following an impressive freshman season at Arizona Western C.C. “Honestly, I don’t really know too much about Tennessee, but they’re recruiting me hard right now. … I hear from coach (Terry) Fair a lot.”

Blades, a Pasadena (Calf.) native, had a relationship with Fair dating back to high school and two have continued to develop that connection. Despite Fair now recruiting for Tennessee — and not Colorado State — the message is largely the same, per Blades. “It ain’t no selling from coach Fair,” he said. “Basically, it’s what he told me when he was recruiting me back in high school that I can come in and have a chance to play right away.”

Blades didn’t hold an offer from Tennessee as a prep prospect and has never visited Rocky Top. He does have a tie to the program, though, playing with Vols signees Dominick Wood-Anderson and Jahmir Johnson last year. Tennessee has made it clear to Blades that there’s an opportunity to see the field immediately in 2019, and that message is certainly attractive to a junior college prospect with vision of making it to the NFL. Jeremy Pruitt’s track record of developing defensive backs is something he’s definitely aware of, too. “I know that he puts a lot of dudes in the league," he said.

-VQ

A name like Blades has to land at UT, just sounds cool, we could have Blades and a Warrior!

Blades is an incredibly athletic and speedy corner. But that speed doesn’t come at a cost of height; Blades is listed at 6-foot-2, 170 pounds. He knows how to use his large frame to play with a tough physicality, and he has a great break on the ball. He knows how to read quarterbacks fairly well and is dangerous when he picks off a pass. He’s physical and is good at press coverage, something that bodes well for how he would fit in with Tennessee’s defense.

N. Rutherford
Vols Trending for Top JUCO Cornerback in 2019 Class | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back