CLASS OF 19
ROCKY MOUNT, NC
(ROCKY MOUNT)

Shyheim Battle, Rocky Mount, Cornerback

Rivals.com

Shyheim Battle - Hudl

[twitter]965686319170162688[/twitter]

Last edited by a moderator:
three-star junior cornerback shyheim battle of rocky mount (n.c.) high school posted monday on his twitter account that he received a scholarship offer from tennessee.

"blessed & honored to receive my 10th offer from the tennessee vols #outta252," he tweeted. "blessings on blessings thanking the man above."

it was the first sec offer for the 6-foot-2, 173-pound battle, who also holds offers from n.c. State, duke, virginia, wake forest, boston college, east carolina, appalachian state, charlotte and north carolina a&t.

Battle is ranked the no. 673 overall prospect and no. 61 cornerback in the 247sports composite for the 2019 class.

“i wasn't really expecting it until i came to campus,” battle said. “it's one of the biggest schools to offer me. “they like my size and length, the passion i play with and my aggressiveness.”

the offer came last monday from former vols and quality control coach montario hardesty and tight ends coach brian neidermeyer. Then wednesday, battle got a chance to visit with both jeremy pruitt and terry fair. “his background of coaching at a place like alabama and his history of coaching dbs,” battle said of what stood about about his visit with pruitt

battle has been business already seeing schools. He's seen duke, east carolina, north carolina and last weekend he was at virginia. He plans to see rocky top in the coming weeks. “i was going to come up this weekend with a friend, but i can't make it. So i'm going to come up for a spring practice or the spring game,” battle offered.

Battle is exploring the option of graduating early and plans to sign in december which is why he might take some official visits in late spring or summer as well as a couple in the fall as he looks for the right fit.

“what's really important for me is getting a good education at a place where i feel at home,” battle said. “what's the possibility of early playing time? What does the rest of the class look like? How do i bond and fit in with the team.”

- vq

Reactions: 1 person
When Pruitt said he wanted DBs to line up in your face, he meant it. Huge difference between CJP and Butch when it comes to recruiting.

The simple fact that he is from New Bern and down east N.C. is huge here though. Regardless if he can or can’t.

“CB Shyhiem Battle visited Clemson on Saturday and will take a multi-day trip to Tennessee on Thurs-Sat. Hears from Niedermeyer and Fair all the time. Knows he’s a big need and has an opportunity to play on Day 1. Will commit and sign early.”

Simonton

Reactions: 7 people
it’s no secret that tennessee covets cornerbacks as a priority for its 2019 class, as jeremy pruitt hopes to retool a secondary short of depth and playmaking defensive backs. Rocky mount (n.c.) corner shyheim battle was among the standouts at nike opening regional on sunday and is one of tennessee’s top targets at the position. The 6-foot-2, 170-pound corner is long (77-inch arms) and physical, with offers from clemson, ohio state, nc state, duke and others.

The vols extended a scholarship to battle back in late february and the 3-star corner will finally get his chance to see tennessee during a multi-day visit this week. “i’ve been talking to coach (brian) niedermeyer, coach (terry) fair, coach (montario) hardesty and coach (jeremy) pruitt for a while now,” battle said. “i’ve started to build that relationship and want to see where it goes next week. I want to go up early and make a practice too, see how that goes, catch the spring game, get the view of the campus.”

this spring, battle has visited virginia, unc, nc state and clemson, among others. While the wolfpack and tigers are considered battle’s current leaders, the vols hope to join the fray after this weekend.

During sunday’s camp, battle shined during the 1-on-1 portion, showcasing both his physicality and patience. He said his two favorite corners are patrick peterson and marcus peters and he tries to emulate their skills as a lockdown defender on the perimeter. “you put me in press (coverage) and nothing gets by me,” he said, confidently. “my biggest strength is getting on receivers early with a good jam on the line and then pushing them off their route.”

battle is well-aware of jeremy pruitt’s track record of sending cornerbacks to the nfl, a sales-pitch that ohio state and clemson are making to the north carolina native. The opportunity for early playing time is tennessee’s top selling point right now, though, and with a no plans to make a decision until december, battle is looking forward to seeing what all the vols have to offer. “they be telling me how bad they need corners. That i could come and compete right now,” he said.

- vq

Reactions: 2 people
Mini podcast from VQ on Shyheim.

Coming Thursday to see practice. Visiting with coaches Friday. Then going home after OW game.

long drive from Rocky Mount to Knoxville. maybe so long, they decide to stay over 1 more night....:p

5 visitors to watch at Tennessee's spring game

CB Shyheim Battle

Battle, a three-star cornerback from Rocky Mount (N.C.) High School, has expressed interest in visiting Tennessee since getting an offer from the Vols on Feb. 19, and he referred to them Sunday as one of five teams standing out to him. Clemson currently is at the top of his list, with N.C. State right behind the Tigers. But Tennessee is the only team in his top five he hasn’t visited to this point, and a memorable trip to Knoxville this weekend could make the Vols legitimate contenders. He’s well aware that Tennessee needs help at cornerback, and he likes what he has heard about the Vols so far.

-Callahan

Reactions: 4 people
the 6-foot-2, 173-pound battle said he has heard plenty from first-year tennessee coach jeremy pruitt’s staff over the past couple months, and he’s eager to learn more about the vols during his overnight stay in knoxville. “i just want to see what they’ve got going on,” battle said after participating in sunday’s nike elite 11 regional just outside charlotte, n.c.

“i want to see how their players interact with the coaches and stuff, how the coaches bond with the players. I want to see how they play, see the atmosphere up there and get a good feel for it.” clemson currently is at the top of his list, with n.c. State just behind the tigers. He said tennessee is the only school among his favorites that he hasn’t visited. “i haven’t been to tennessee yet,” battle said, "so i don’t know what they have.”

“coach hardesty, he’s from my area, so he’s big on me, for real,” battle said. “he said they really need some corners, and they think i can come in and make a change out of the gate. I can come in as a true freshman, maybe even earn a (starting) spot.” niedermeyer, who followed pruitt from alabama to tennessee, also has been in contact with battle, and battle said “he’s a pretty cool guy.” “he’s going to keep it real,” battle said of niedermeyer. “he’s funny. He’s a real funny guy.”

“i know it’s a good opportunity, because they need corners, and i’m a good corner,” said battle, who holds offers from more than 15 schools. “i want to come in playing early.” he’s familiar with pruitt’s history as a national championship-winning defensive coordinator at alabama and florida state, along with his background as a secondary coach. He said he also has heard about pruitt being heavily involved with tennessee’s defensive backs on the practice field. “i know coach pruitt coached a lot of good dbs,” battle said. “i know he left alabama, and he coaches the dbs for tennessee, too, so i’ll be working with him a lot if i go there.”

battle, who attended clemson’s spring game last weekend, said he’s still at least a few months away from deciding on a college. “i’m thinking about doing it either right before the season, during the season or on signing day,” he said. "when i commit, i’m going to tell the coach and the staff that i committed, but i want to keep it quiet so everything don’t blow up.”

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back