DT
6-1
EXP 2015 - ...
FRISCO, TX
(HERITAGE)

Preston Gordon, Rice, Defensive Tackle

Preston Gordon Bio :: Rice University

Reactions: 2 people
former rice defensive tackle preston gordon, who announced last month that he's planning to move to another school as a graduate transfer, told govols247 on monday that he has been in contact with tennessee, and he might visit the vols "soon."

the 6-foot-1, 280-pound gordon, who will be a fifth-year senior during the 2018 season, said he has had "some communication with" tennessee defensive graduate assistant jon shalala, and trips to tennessee and connecticut "could be soon" if the vols decide to pursue him.

He already has visited texas tech and kansas. Gordon said he has yet to schedule a visit to tennessee, but he's intrigued by the vols after recently talking with shalala.

"we just discussed my situation, as far as why i chose to leave (rice), my gpa and my plans for whatever university i choose to attend," gordon said. "and then we talked about schemes and what they have to offer."

alabama, tcu, tulane and syracuse also have been in contact with him. He said he's interested in the vols because "they have a lot of history," and tennessee "is a very historical place."

gordon has started 28 games over the past three years at rice. He finished his junior season with 34 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, one sack, four quarterback hurries and two pass breakups.

A former standout at heritage high school in frisco, texas, he was rated a two-star prospect in the industry-generated 247sports composite for the 2014 class.

Reactions: 1 person
Now, before anyone gets too carried away about this, I've been told Tennessee hasn't made any sort of decision on whether it wants to pursue Gordon. I don't think the entire staff has evaluated his film to this point, so I don't believe the Vols have extended an offer to him. And it remains to be seen whether they really would want to use a graduate-transfer spot — and one of their remaining spots in this class — on a defensive lineman. It sounds like finding a graduate-transfer offensive lineman still might be a bit more of a priority for Tennessee at this point.

Gordon is at least a name to keep an eye on, though, so we'll see if anything comes of this.

- Callahan

2 star...we're not that desperate are we...probably gonna wait for a bigger fish...:)

GO VOLS!

Lol, you realize he is no longer a prospect as a grad transfer, right? He was a 2* out of HS, but he's already been a proven starter in D1. If he's being looked at by Alabama, you should probably surmise that he would help our team too.

Reactions: 5 people
Lol, you realize he is no longer a prospect as a grad transfer, right? He was a 2* out of HS, but he's already been a proven starter in D1. If he's being looked at by Alabama, you should probably surmise that he would help our team too.

It's crazy how much impact the star system has on many people's mindset. Players get judged for overachieving, underachieving, busting based on the position some "recruiting business" labeled them as a junior in HS. Sometimes years and years before. Even after playing in college for several seasons, players are still labeled by thier "star caste status".

Reactions: 1 person
6-1 and 280?? I'm 6-1 and couldn't imagine being that kind of weight. Young man must be pretty stout and not easy to move, excellent!

It's crazy how much impact the star system has on many people's mindset. Players get judged for overachieving, underachieving, busting based on the position some "recruiting business" labeled them as a junior in HS. Sometimes years and years before. Even after playing in college for several seasons, players are still labeled by thier "star caste status".

I believe in the star rating system to some extent, but I agree. Once you have played at the college level, you judge that, not what they did in high school.

VN Store

Back