CLASS OF 19
CHARLOTTE, NC
(CHARLOTTE COUNTRY DAY)

Triston Miller, Charlotte Country Day, Offensive Tackle

Rivals.com

Triston Miller - Hudl

Vols offered last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Former Wake Forest commit Triston Miller will visit Tennessee on March 3 for its second Junior Day, the 3-star offensive tackle told VolQuest.com. The Charlotte (N.C.) Country Day School prospect has seen his recruitment spike in the last month, picking up offers from the Vols, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Purdue and West Virginia, among others. Tennessee is suddenly a real factor for Miller after new OL coach Will Friend visited the North Carolina school a couple times in January. Friend later hit up the offensive tackle “totally out of the blue" one day, delivering some surprising news.

“Coach Friend had told me to call him one night and I really didn’t expect to get an offer or anything,” Miller said. “I thought he’d just tell me they were interested, but when he said they were offering I was stunned. I was pretty excited about it. ... I would love to play in the SEC. That’s been a big dream for me for awhile. I’ve seen Tennessee have players like Malik Jackson and Alvin Kamara have really good careers and success in the NFL so far.”

“They said they were going to target more athletic lineman and I feel like that fit that role pretty well. I’m a lineman who can move, but still get people off the ball with strength,” he explained. “They like my aggression.”

“My background in basketball really helps me out with my athleticism in football,” Miller said, also noting that he played against Tennessee forward Grant Williams several times as a freshman and the two have maintained contact. “I’m a strong rebounder and my low-post game is pretty good.”

Since picking up his Tennessee offer, Miller has spoken with Friend and received a direct message from head coach Jeremy Pruitt, but most of his contact has been with offensive coordinator Tyson Helton. “I’ve mostly talked with coach Helton lately,” he said. “He sends me motivational stuff and just checking up on me with how school and the day is going.” Pruitt sent Miller a DM telling the offensive lineman, “That I’m really looking forward to getting you up to Tennessee,” and the offensive tackle said he can’t wait to checkout the school in two weeks.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly Target more athletic tackles..Meaning those who can move and not wear concrete cleats like Kendrick who was embarrassed by speed rushers

Exactly Target more athletic tackles..Meaning those who can move and not wear concrete cleats like Kendrick who was embarrassed by speed rushers

Butch was terrible at OT eval apparently. Always seemed like we had guys that should be center/guards playing tackle. Then the ones that have OT potential he ended their careers or it takes them 3 yrs to get up to weigt

Reactions: 1 person
Butch was terrible at OT eval apparently. Always seemed like we had guys that should be center/guards playing tackle. Then the ones that have OT potential he ended their careers or it takes them 3 yrs to get up to weigt

He also had the weakest lineman at Center in Coleman Thomas who got abused his whole career against a true NT

Dooley and Pittman found Kendrick. I think with better coaching he would have been decent

Sometimes I wonder if the staff thinks Tennessee is still a part of North Carolina. Would love to get these Carolina kids.

NC kids love UT, always have. Now there are more and more of them on a yearly basis due to the Panthers and the population explosion. We have just ignored pretty much in the past decade.

“i really got a good feeling for the school. … it was everything i hoped it would be. I got a pretty good feel of what kind of football i would be playing in the sec, and i really loved it there.” the 6-foot-5, 260-pound miller said he enjoyed spending time with the vols’ new staff, and he was pleasantly surprised by “the size” of neyland stadium. “i had heard it was really big,” he said. “but actually, like, stepping inside of it, it’s huge and it’s really nice.”

“i spent a lot of time with coach friend and coach pruitt, and coach helton,” miller said. “(friend) said, when he watched my film, he saw that i was really powerful and really good with my feet. He said that fits in really well with his style of offense. “they said that they’re pretty thin on the offensive line right now, and they’ll be taking a good number of linemen in this year’s class.”

“they showed all the coaches’ resumes, and that really can’t be topped,” he said of pruitt’s staff. “they all have, like, individual success, and they’ve put a lot of players in the league, and i think that just speaks for itself.”

“i’m definitely going to come back again,” miller said. “i know next time i’m coming with tennessee, it’s going to be in a couple weeks, and i’m coming with my head coach to watch a spring practice.” for now, miller isn’t rushing to make his final college choice. “i’ll probably wait around ’til, like, closer to the first signing day,” he said. “i’ll definitely sign in december.”

Reactions: 1 person
“i loved everything about the school,” miller told volquest. “i expected it to be a different atmosphere from some of the other schools i had visited because it was tennessee, a big-time sec school. And after taking one visit i was impressed. I really enjoyed everything. Coach (will) friend seems like an amazing coach to play for. The stadium was huge.”

“(friend) said i’m really powerful and my footwork is really good. He likes my burst off the ball,” miller said. “we watched film of georgia and colorado state. He was showing us plays of smash-mouth football. I love to play like that. Watching film, the tackle gets a lot of 1-on-1 battles with the de and i like that.”

“coach (pruitt) said he loved my playing style, my aggressiveness,” miller recalled. “when he watched my tape, he could tell that i was aggressive and could really move. He told me that tennessee is on the up-rising and they’re going to be a powerhouse soon.”

miller has upcoming visits to west virginia, uva, arkansas and kentucky, but tennessee made a big move after saturday’s trip. The offensive tackle will be back on rocky top again in a few weeks, too.

“tennessee is definitely close to the top,” miller said. “i really love tennessee right now. They’re definitely close to the top of my list. I’m definitely coming back for a spring practice in a couple weeks.”

-VQ

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Article from SEC Country. Most of it is pretty similar to the ones posted by Ron above, but there were a couple of interesting quotes:

“The O-line coach, Will Friend, seems like a really good coach,” Miller said. “I really like their playing style. It’s smash-mouth football.”

The praise for Friend isn’t out of the ordinary. Class of 2018 signee Jerome Carvin told me before he committed that he was impressed with Friend after a brief phone conversation. Friend could be an underrated weapon on the recruiting trail for the Vols.

“His résumé speaks for itself,” Miller said. “He’s gotten a lot of people to the league. If you watch his lines, you can tell they are really well coached. They are all like really low and physical. You get the vibe he knows what he’s talking about.”

Offensive coordinator Tyson Helton’s vision of a physical power-running team resonates with Miller. He likes to run block and move people around, which is what the Vols are targeting at the position.

The style of play and coaches have helped make Tennessee one of Miller’s top schools. With more positive visits, the Vols could end up with a commitment from the sought-after tackle.

“Everything was very upbeat,” Miller said. “It wasn’t like most visits. For example, we were touring the weight room and they had us going over riddles. I really enjoyed it.”

-Blake Morgan

Tackle Triston Miller impressed with Tennessee's new 'smash-mouth' approach on offense

Free video interview posted to VQ. Has good things to say about UT and talks a lot about his athleticism and footwork. Says he wants to put on more weight. Currently weighs 265.

"Tennessee is definitely really high on my list. I love everything about Tennessee." Planning to visit again but doesn't say when.

VolQuest.com - Athletic OT Triston Miller: 'Tennessee is high on my list'

Last edited:

VN Store

Back