CLASS OF 18
CHATTANOOGA, TN
(BRAINERD)

Joseph Norwood, Brainerd, Safety

Rivals.com

Joseph Norwood - Hudl

Reactions: 3 people
Stock is rising, Vols interested?

Yes, there's some interest. He's actually on his way to Tennessee right now for an unofficial visit. The Vols haven't offered him, so we'll see what comes of it, but he's an interesting possibility to keep in mind.

We actually reported a few days ago that Tennessee had reached out to his coach to gauge his interest in visiting the Vols. Norwood ended up not traveling to Nebraska, which had talked about hosting him on an official visit this weekend, so it appears the Huskers probably won't be a factor. With nowhere else he was needing to visit this weekend, Norwood had an easy choice to make when Tennessee invited him to drive up to Knoxville today. We'll see where things go from here.

-Callahan

Reactions: 4 people
three-star senior athlete/defensive back joseph norwood of brainerd high school in chattanooga, tenn., told govols247 on saturday that he was on his way to tennessee for an unofficial visit with the vols.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound norwood has yet to receive a scholarship offer from tennessee but drew interest from the vols and nebraska this week, with both teams still searching for help in the secondary in the 2018 class. The cornhuskers briefly showed interest in hosting him on an official visit this weekend, but those plans never materialized.

Norwood went on official visits to middle tennessee, tulane and massachusetts last month. He holds offers from at least 14 schools, including middle tennessee, massachusetts, tulane, southern miss, kent state, georgia state, coastal carolina and chattanooga.

In the industry-generated 247sports composite, he's ranked the nation's no. 2,122 overall prospect and no. 153 athlete in the 2018 class and the no. 53 senior from the state of tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
My mom retired working from Brainerd 30+ years back in the days when Brainerd pumped out D-1 kids left and right especially in Basketball with Coach High. Then, all their kids started getting recruited and leaving for Baylor, McCallie, Boyd-Buchanan or moving towards Harrison Chattanooga Central and Ooltewah HS and the program went down hill from there.

My mom retired working from Brainerd 30+ years back in the days when Brainerd pumped out D-1 kids left and right especially in Basketball with Coach High. Then, all their kids started getting recruited and leaving for Baylor, McCallie, Boyd-Buchanan or moving towards Harrison Chattanooga Central and Ooltewah HS and the program went down hill from there.

Howard, Tyner as well.

In the 80s there was very good talent at those 3 programs.

This kid hits like Tyson Campbell.

he's not as athletic, but still looks to be a very good athlete.

Regardless i like him. Good build and film is outstanding. Head-hunter with speed.

I love recruiting. All the recruiting services in the world these days (website, Camps, Independent Consultation) and still kids like Joseph Norwood get over looked.

Yet Nebraska and Tennessee notice enough about him.

Reactions: 6 people
This tells us how the coaches really feel about the chances of the 2018 class but they never had the time to make more inroads or relationships.

Norwood is on campus for an unofficial...

We swapped text and he confirms he's in Knoxville. Will be interesting to see what comes of that if anything.

Tulane is the landing spot for him over MTSU I think unless Tennessee has something for him

- Hubbs

Howard, Tyner as well.

In the 80s there was very good talent at those 3 programs.

This kid hits like Tyson Campbell.

he's not as athletic, but still looks to be a very good athlete.

Regardless i like him. Good build and film is outstanding. Head-hunter with speed.

I love recruiting. All the recruiting services in the world these days (website, Camps, Independent Consultation) and still kids like Joseph Norwood get over looked.

Yet Nebraska and Tennessee notice enough about him.
So where would you consider the position this kid could help us at..because you say not as athletic and I dont know what you mean by that....

So where would you consider the position this kid could help us at..because you say not as athletic and I dont know what you mean by that....

Tyson Campbell is a 5 star DB that runs and started for the best high school team in Florida.

Norwood seems to diagnose plays well, which enables him to play fast. And he tackles well. And does so under control.

He's an immediate contributor on special teams and good depth at safety.
Everybody you sign isn't going to be. Starter.

Reactions: 3 people
Tyson Campbell is a 5 star DB that runs and started for the best high school team in Florida.

Norwood seems to diagnose plays well, which enables him to play fast. And he tackles well. And does so under control.

He's an immediate contributor on special teams and good depth at safety.
Everybody you sign isn't going to be. Starter.

So you would be ok if he came in as a PWO as I would

Very Dooley like if so.

We're going after the very best.

If we strike out. We still need to add some young talent that can help get the veterans better.

This Noorwood kid is no slouch. He's tall, fast and can hit.

Nebraska is also wanting to add him in some capacity.

If we strike out. We still need to add some young talent that can help get the veterans better.

One thing for sure; he is a long strider

No they don't.

Nebraska isn't hosting Joseph Norwood this weekend after all. The Tennessee recruit had gotten overtures from the Huskers as a potential defensive back option, but Nebraska canceled an in-home visit and let the athlete know they were full.

"No sir I'm not visiting," he said. "They got another guy, so they don't have a spot for me anymore."

The Huskers have made a hard push for defensive backs lately. In addition to the four already committed or signed, Nebraska hosted Cam Taylor last weekend and are set to visit Ken Montgomery Jr. this weekend.

Last edited:

If he is a walk on, then great.

CJ Black and Venus Lacey were pretty good round ball players from Brainerd.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back