FRANKLIN, TN
(BATTLE GROUND ACADEMY)

Chico Bennett Jr., Battle Ground Academy, Outside Linebacker

Rivals.com

Chico Bennett - Hudl

[twitter]957342976413446145[/twitter]

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Really great young man! Also has received offers from Vandy and Virginia recently.

Interest will pick up on him soon!

Reactions: 1 person
Just watching him (against lesser competition) he seems like he would be a good fit at OLB in a 3-4. Needs some added weight, but has the body to accommodate it.

FWIW.....Looked more like a "player" than Wilhoite did when BGA played FRA. Just 1 game though.

Reactions: 2 people
after moving from virginia to middle tennessee less than a year ago, chico bennett jr. Put together an impressive junior season that has helped him pick up seven scholarship offers within the past month. He was pleasantly surprised that one of the first offers came from tennessee. The three-star junior linebacker from battle ground academy in franklin, tenn., said he landed an offer from the vols in late january during a visit to knoxville, and he admitted tennessee now “is definitely up there” on his growing list of college choices.

“it was very unexpected, especially from the conversation that coach (jeremy) pruitt was having with me and my cousin and my other teammate,” bennett said, referring to the vols’ first-year coach. “it was definitely unexpected, but i was thankful. “(pruitt) said that he saw my tape and really thought i was a good player, and he liked what he saw. … just liked my play, liked the way i was getting to the quarterback.”

the 6-foot-4, 200-pound bennett said it was his first visit to tennessee’s campus, and he was impressed by his first look at the vols. He said he’s already planning to visit them again march 3 for one of their upcoming junior days. “i thought it was a lovely campus,” said bennett, who’s ranked by 247sports as the no. 616 overall prospect and no. 44 outside linebacker in the 2019 class. “it was big, of course, but it was definitely nice — nice environment. Seemed like the culture was nice, so i thought it was a very pleasant visit. … it was definitely something.

“tennessee is definitely up there. I really enjoyed (the visit). I like what coach pruitt has going on, and i’m really interested in what he has going on and the program.” bennett said he “was a fan” of tennessee growing up, although he never lived in tennessee before moving there around memorial day last year. He said his father, who has “been in the military,” is originally from the nashville, tenn., area.

Chico bennett jr. Said schools only recently have started to take notice of him, with film from his junior season starting to circulate and “my coach getting me out there.” he recorded 69 tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss and 17 sacks as a junior, according to maxpreps.

Reactions: 8 people
In-state OLB to watch here...

Just had a nice, long chat with the Battle Ground Academy prospect. Bennett plays both ways but most schools (Iowa is recruiting him on offense) see him as a blistering pass rusher off the edge. He visited Tennessee in early February, earning an offer in person from Jeremy Pruitt. Bennett will be back on March 3. He has offers from UT, Vandy, Cincy, Virginia and Purdue, but Clemson, Georgia (where he's visiting next weekend), Va. Tech and Michigan State, among others, are all starting to talk to him a lot now, too.

Bennett is the son of an Army family, so he's only played one season of high school football in Tennessee. His father actually played football at Hawaii but was born in Nashville and is a big Vols fan. Bennett played receiver exclusively until last year, where he posted 17 sacks as an edge rusher.

He's raw but has excellent athleticism (runs a legit 4.5), length and a frame to easily add weight. Full story to come later in the week.

- Simonton

Reactions: 6 people
will be a 23b lb beast rusher in a few years

Im sure this kid will make a huge leap in the rankings soon. He will probably end up being a top 250 guy.

I saw almost all his games last season....he's real quick off the snap and his motor never quits.

BGA lost 2 real good wr's (going to small colleges) so he will probably be used more at wr next year than he was this yr. I still think he is a 3-4 LB!

BGA also has another solid '19 kid and a real good '20!

Chico Bennett Jr. has lived in Germany, Kansas, Kentucky and Virginia twice, but the well-travelled Battle Ground Academy prospect has settled into his new home in Tennessee quite nicely. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound athlete came to Nashville less than a year ago in hopes of expanding his football horizon. A proud son in a military family, Bennett actually left his parents in Northern Virginia and moved in with his uncle and cousin, 2020 corner Briston Bennett.

Bennett’s path to Nashville has certainly been unique, but he’s come full circle a bit, as his father Chico Sr., was born there and grew up rooting for the Vols. Now, Chico Jr., is hoping to follow his father’s footsteps a D-1 athlete, as his dad played cornerback for Hawaii in the early 1990s. “My dad played for Hawaii, but he grew up watching and cheering for Tennessee,” Bennett said. “When I was a kid in Virginia, we would always be watching Tennessee games. I would come downstairs and ask, ‘Who are we watching?’ And my dad would say, “Those are the Vols, man. The Big Orange.”

“He told me the story on how he (found) me,” Bennett explained. “Coach (Pruitt) said he was driving and was on his way to see some other prospects when he got a call from one of his guys and said, ‘Man, you have to check this kid out.’ So he watched the film and and it was me. I guess they enjoyed it and saw my potential. “So, they had me come up there and then as he was telling the story how coach (Nick) Saban has to sign off on the real offers at Alabama, so he told me he wanted to offer me a scholarship to Tennessee. “I was in shock. It totally surprised me. I was like, ‘Wow. Thank you so much.’”

“Coach Pruitt said he wants to put me at 240 pounds, easy,” Bennett Jr. said. “I had never played a down of defense in my life before last year. When I first got there to BGA, I was talking to my coach, who said we play both sides of the ball. I looked at him like, ‘Yea. That’s what you think. But not me.’ But I put my mindset to playing defense and I gave it a try, worked hard and it worked out.”

Bennett admits at times he didn’t know exactly what he was doing on defense, relying mostly on instincts. Still, he finished his junior season with 69 tackles, 17 sacks and 23 tackles for loss — all while playing with a torn labrum most of the year. Since Batten has helped promote his film, Georgia, where he’ll visit this weekend, Clemson, Michigan State, Iowa, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Kentucky have all reached out recently. While he’s in no hurry to make his collegiate choice, the Vols have made a nice early impression and Bennett Jr. will be back on campus on March 3.

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
I have a feeling this guy may be one of the best recruits coming out of this class when it’s all said and done.

I have a feeling this guy may be one of the best recruits coming out of this class when it’s all said and done.

Haven't watched him but considering how quick Pruitt jumped on him while still trying to close the last class tells me he holds this kid up pretty high

Saban will wait til the last second, dance and snap him up. :sick:

VN Store

Back