247 now has Vols #16 in 2018 Team Recruiting

Don’t think so. Top 15, maybe top 12 at best imo. Hardly anyone ahead of us that we can jump over.....Oregon, Michigan, Washington, maybe LSU but that’s about it based on number of recruits and average star rating. We added 4 star Jordan Young today and didn’t budge at all.....stayed at #16.

Don’t think so. Top 15, maybe top 12 at best imo. Hardly anyone ahead of us that we can jump over.....Oregon, Michigan, Washington, maybe LSU but that’s about it based on number of recruits and average star rating. We added 4 star Jordan Young today and didn’t budge at all.....stayed at #16.

With numbers limited, it’s going to get interesting. Blue shirts, Grey Shirts.........You think these guys may be possibilities....?

1.Quay Walker LB
2. Eddie Smith CB/WR or Olaijah Griffin CB or Tre’shaun Harrison S / WR
3. Isaac Taylor-Stewart CB
4. Malik Langham DE /OLB
5. Ryan Winkel or Dylan Wonuum OT
6. Anthony Grant or C’Bo Flemister RB/DB
7. Otito Ogbonnia DT or..
8. John Mincey DE /OLB
9. Glenn Beal TE/DE

Last edited:
So that puts us what....6-7 in the SEC?

I think somewhere between 4th (LSU is 4th right now) and 6th in the SEC. We may be able to move to 12th nationally. Remember that these goofy rankings and calculations often times separate team rankings by decimal points..

Last edited:

Interesting that 247 ranks Young as a 3*. He’s a 4* in the 247 composite. Litaker is still listed as a firm commit.

I'm more interested in whether the teams needs are met than a subjective ranking

Well, I think filling positions of need and recruiting highly talented / ranked players are equally as important.

To compete for the SEC championship, you must fill those positions of need with highly talented players.

Example: We’re filling offensive line needs with 3* 6-4 270 lb. guys while Alabama and Georgia are filling offensive line needs with 6-5 330 lb. all-Americans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So that puts us what....6-7 in the SEC?

We’re 5th right now behind Georgia, Alabama, Auburn and LSU. Florida right on our heels, one spot behind us at 17th/6th....gonna be tough to hold them off. We need to finish strong, which I trust JP will....doing great so far.

Can the Vols scare the top 10 when it’s all over with?

Don't want to be that guy - but we have been 16th on 247 for a week or two. Let me see if I can find a faceplant emoji.

Nope... :yess: just use that one. No news here.

That's a no news here emoji.

We should jump from 18 to 15 on Rivals once they get around to updating. That is a change from the past week.

We should jump from 18 to 15 on Rivals once they get around to updating. That is a change from the past week.

And that matters? I’m not attacking you, I just find the whole 14 vs 16 or 8 vs 12 thing comical at best. These recruiting guru$ have made up this fabricated game and we as passionate fans buy in, literally . I think I agree with what has been posted earlier . It’s 2 fold . It’s about recruiting the best available players to critical needs. I think some coach’s are better at looking at “4 and 5” star talent and separating who really is and who isn’t real. Hopefully Tennessee has someone now who can see the real ones. Hopefully Tennessee gets to where the staff is recruiting for 2 And 3 years down the road and not for next season. The SEC is no place to roll out lots of first year freshmen on your roster. But again I just find the whole 17 vs 13 thing funny. Once past the top 2 or three. Who can really say? GBO

Reactions: 2 people
I'm more interested in whether the teams needs are met than a subjective ranking

Exactly right. It comes down to a coach and staff being able to recognize and develop players. I'm over the 5 star mania. For some reason, our elite recruits never seem to pan out. Trust the staff and grade this class in a few years.

Reactions: 1 person
I learned from the Butch era that the overall ranking is not as important as the per player ranking. What does signing 34 players help when you know half will need to transfer.

We need to go the Clemson route where you sign around 20 every year they are almost all elite players and you don’t have a lot of attrition.

I think this class will have close to the best per player avg ranking we’ve had in a decade.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back