(WHITE STATION)

Ray Curry, White Station, Offensive Tackle

Rivals.com

Ray Curry - Hudl

[twitter]953769613929730049[/twitter]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Coaches travel note...

Tennessee worked instate today but only hit up private schools because of weather with so many systems still closed.

Terry Fair went to Ensworth to see Keshawn Lawrence while Jeremy Pruitt went to Memphis to see Bill Norton, Marcus Henderson, Maurice Hampton, Omari Thomas, and Ray Curry.

- Price

We can't wait for 2020 to get OLine help.

☝🏻statement of the year. Luckily we
1- don't have Butch
2- and we have Pruitt.

Curry said he traveled to Knoxville when he was in middle school to prepare for the Kentucky vs. Tennessee Future Stars Game, an all-star event that has given several Memphis-area players their first glance at Tennessee’s campus. “Had a great time with that. Really liked it,” Curry said. “We practiced in the indoor facility. It was real nice. I really liked the facility.”

With the Vols now pursuing him, he said he’s “ready to go back” and take a closer look at Tennessee. "I’m talking to my parents about it,” Curry said. “We’re supposed to be having a discussion (soon) about where I’ll be going this summer and stuff like that.” The Vols have stopped at his school during the ongoing spring evaluation period, and he said he has been in contact with first-year Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt and offensive line coach Will Friend.

“Coach Pruitt was the one that offered me,” Curry said. "All the linemen in our class in Memphis, he offered us. He seemed like a real genuine guy. I liked him. He came by the school (in January) and talked to Coach. I couldn’t talk to him since I’m an underclassman. “He said he’s just trying to get guys in our area to come up there and change the tradition — things of that nature. It sounded good. I’m ready to go up there and see how it is.”

“They’re real tradition-rich. I (noticed) that,” he said. “We have a former player that walked on there, Ramsey Hailey. He’s talked to me about. He said he really liked it. “They got some boys from Cordova, too,” Curry added, referring to Tennessee freshman offensive lineman Jerome Carvin and incoming running back signee Jeremy Banks of nearby Cordova High School. “They’re going to turn it around. I’m ready to see what they’re going to do this season, for real.”

Curry's offer list has blown up since the Vols offered in January. Picking up offers from Vandy, Ole Miss, A&M, Bama, Michigan, Ark, LSU and Texas. He said he wants to major in engineering, specifically airplane engineering. I'm sure Dobbs can put in a good word.

ANOTHER top shelf OL from Memphis in '20. Crazy. Good thing we have Pruitt and co now, they actually have good relationships over there unlike our last couple coaches.

ANOTHER top shelf OL from Memphis in '20. Crazy. Good thing we have Pruitt and co now, they actually have good relationships over there unlike our last couple coaches.

So much this.

The only way that you're going to beat out the more local competition from Ole Miss and Bama is by getting in early and building relationships with recruits and the local high schools. Having these kids on campus early and getting good with the parents is essential. This is where guys like Pruitt and especially Niedermeyer have proven their worth by owning these relationships early on and building rapport with the recruits and their families.

You're not going to sell kids from Memphis on the whole in-state thing or even facilities. These kids have seen facilities like ours before, and you have no in-state advantage with Memphis. Historically that city has been carved up by all the different programs that have recruited there. And especially when you factor all of the BS that Butch put the local high schools through, there are lots of burned bridges that Pruitt and Co. are now rebuilding efectively. This is all straight out of Business 101, which our past 3 coaching staffs obviously missed.

Article up on SEC country. Here are some highlights:

Curry is a 6-foot-5, 315 pound tackle who punishes defenders who try and get into the backfield.

He’s planning on taking a trip to Knoxville in late June with his parents and his coach. They’ll will visit multiple schools on the trip, including Alabama, but he’s excited to see Tennessee.

“Really just get a feeling for it,” Curry told SEC Country. “See how they’re running things. Get to know Coach [Will] Friend and Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt better. Those are the people I’m going to be dealing with. I want to see how the city is and the atmosphere.”

“I always wanted the Tennessee offer growing up when I was younger,” Curry said. “I always liked the tradition and I played in an all-star game in eighth grade, and we practiced in the UT facilities. I went down there and enjoyed it. I’m ready to get down there now and see it since it’s under new management.”

“Tennessee’s offer really stood out,” Curry said. “Growing up playing NCAA Football, I would always pick Tennessee as my school. Still to this day, it’s crazy that it’s a school I got an offer from.”

The visit this summer is very important. Curry isn’t close to making a decision, but his recruitment won’t be a drawn-out process. He wants to commit after his junior season after he visits a few schools on game days this fall.

Curry said the game day experience will be one of his biggest factors in his decision-making process. The June visit will be important to convince him to make a return trip in the fall. A fall Saturday in Neyland Stadium likely would put the Vols in a solid spot.

“My main goal is to get that cake,” Curry said. “If I can get that pancake on a guy, my goal is accomplished. Then go upfield.

“I’m trying to put you on your back or your shoulder. I really like getting into the second level and catch a linebacker or safety. You really don’t see that in a lot of high schooler’s film. I’m adding it to mine.”

-Blake Morgan
In-state OL Ray Curry has important visit planned to Tennessee

MEMFISS
The 6-foot-5, 315-pound lineman picked up his offer from the Vols back in January, with head coach Jeremy Pruitt personally extending the scholarship. The 3-star recruit has maintained steady contact with Tennessee assistants David Johnson and Will Friend since then, texting with both “a lot.”
“We talking pretty good,” Curry said.
“Me and coach Johnson and coach Friend. We text a lot. They stopped by the school a couple weeks ago during the bye week. Coach Johnson, he’s a cool guy. My parents like him.”
Curry holds more than 20 offers, including Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas. Over the summer, he visited Texas A&M, Auburn and Vanderbilt, but he still hasn’t made a trip to Tennessee yet as a recruit. Back in middle school, Curry made his way to Knoxville for an all-star game, where he did have the opportunity to see the indoor facility. He wants a longer look though, especially with the in-state push by Pruitt and Johnson.
It’s no secret that the Vols are trying to make a play in Memphis, with Curry, Omari Thomas, Marcus Henderson and others trench targets from the area. Curry is also familiar with Tennessee’s current tandem from Cordova — Jerome Carvin and Jeremy Banks — and wants to see first-hand what the new regime is all about.
“They’re trying to bring the 901’s up to the Rocky Top,” he said.
“They want all the guys down here from Memphis. I need to get up there.”

VQ

Simonton called him “one to watch” when referring to in state OL guys the staff was recruiting in ‘20, in the chat this evening.

Edit: Basically what he said on 11/5, per Ron’s post above.

Reactions: T Dog

VN Store

Back