Alex Thomson - Wagner QB (Grad Transfer)

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
Reactions: 5 people
Thomson is a pro-style quarterback with an arm that Simms calls “powerful.” He broke out in 2016 with 16 touchdowns, 2,436 yards and just five interceptions. He only played in the first two games of this season because of a shoulder injury. His former offensive coordinator at Wagner, Rich Scangarello, is the current quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers. He’s just as resolute in his view of Thomson’s talent and future.

“I think he’s an NFL quarterback,” Scangarello said. “I have no doubt about it. He’s athletic, smart and tough, and he’s just scratching the surface as a player. He’s as good as the back-up quarterbacks in the NFL right now. I really believe that. He’s legit.”

Word has begun to trickle through college circles about Thomson’s potential. He said that he’s spoken to Tennessee offensive coordinator Tyson Helton and the Vols have offered a blueshirt. (Essentially, that means he can’t go on paid official visits and is awarded a scholarship on the first day of camp, which counts toward the following year’s recruiting class.)

Blue shirt offer is interesting

Reactions: 14 people
We need some depth at QB. If the staff thinks he can help, then let's go get him.

Transfers don't blue shirt anyway. They just count either forward or backward is my understanding

Remember Nick Laimeson? Sounds like a repeat

Yeah, that guy got WAAAAAYYY too much hype on some message boards back in the day. He was 6'4 225 with a rocket for an arm. They built him up to be Peyton 2.0.

At least with Wagner you've got a current NFL QB coach vouching for the kid.

Reactions: 1 person
Bruin actually broke this wide open (ughh). When blueshirts existed they didn’t apply to graduate transfers. And as Kristy graciously explained in another thread, graduate transfers don’t apply as initial counters due to them previously receiving financial aid.

bring it...as long as we don't have to not take an OL, DL, CB, LB this year. I'll take another big ugly DL over 3rd or 4th string QB.

Bruin actually broke this wide open (ughh). When blueshirts existed they didn’t apply to graduate transfers. And as Kristy graciously explained in another thread, graduate transfers don’t apply as initial counters due to them previously receiving financial aid.

I read all of those and thought I had it, and now I think that I still have it. Thanks.

This is from an article about signing changes from a few months back:

Other prominent portions of the legislation include:

Limiting annual scholarships to 25: An important piece of this legislation is walk-ons who have not been enrolled for two years and transfers put on scholarship will count against a team’s 25-player class size limit for first-time financial aid agreements or a National Letter of Intents. A walk-one awarded a scholarship after two years on campus would not count against the limit. The aim of this is to reduce oversigning, greyshirt and blueshirt practices.

A signing limit exemption: If a signee becomes injured and must give up football, he would not count toward the signing class limit of 25. Previously, a program would not be allowed to replace a signee who is unable to continue playing football.

Reactions: 3 people

Limiting annual scholarships to 25: An important piece of this legislation is walk-ons who have not been enrolled for two years and transfers put on scholarship will count against a team’s 25-player class size limit for first-time financial aid agreements or a National Letter of Intents. A walk-one awarded a scholarship after two years on campus would not count against the limit. The aim of this is to reduce oversigning, greyshirt and blueshirt practices.

A signing limit exemption: If a signee becomes injured and must give up football, he would not count toward the signing class limit of 25. Previously, a program would not be allowed to replace a signee who is unable to continue playing football.

Nailed it. :hi:

This is an interesting development. How many blueshirts does Pruitt want to pursue and take away numbers from his 2019 class. How much does he feel like he needs a veteran guy at qb for year one with JG and McBride here.

will be interesting to see what happens here.

-Hubbs

Honestly I'd rather keep our full 2019 25 available, as opposed to trading it for a one year rental at QB in what is essentially a rebuilding year anyways.

2019 is going to be the foundation of the Pruitt era, in a roster that needs a mini overhaul.

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly I'd rather keep our full 2019 25 available, as opposed to trading it for a one year rental at QB in what is essentially a rebuilding year anyways.

2019 is going to be the foundation of the Pruitt era, in a roster that needs a mini overhaul.

First post says two years to play.

Reactions: 4 people
I’ve told you all, that Pruitt wants to win in 2018, and he is going to get the players to run his system right away.

Reactions: 7 people
I’ve told you all, that Pruitt wants to win in 2018, and he is going to get the players to run his system right away.

I agree. Doesn’t look like he’s just going to look at 2018 as a rebuilding year and mark it down as year zero. He’s recruiting to fill immediate holes and win now.

Reactions: 12 people

That limit exemption is good for litaker if they choose that route

VN Store

Back