Rocky Top recruiting weekend could help vault Vols into top 10, set stage for elite 2

Rocky Top recruiting weekend could help vault Vols into top 10, set stage for elite 2019 class

Michael Wayne Bratton | 5 hours ago

Jeremy Pruitt is now on the job full-time in Knoxville and that could be trouble for schools hoping to compete with Tennessee for recruits in the near future.

As Tennessee's new head coach said this week in his press conference, "If you ain't recruiting 365 days a year, someone else is."Based on his early returns in Knoxville, that's more than just lip service for Pruitt and the coaching staff he's assembled.

[...]

Rocky Top recruiting weekend could help vault Vols into top 10, set stage for elite 2019 class

The article goes on to mention that Quay Walker, the nation's no.3 OLB prospect, who was originally scheduled to visit UF but decided to visit Rocky Top with JJ Peterson instead. Signing the both of them in the same class would be a coup.

Reactions: 4 people
The last report I saw indicated that following the ESP, 33 of the nation's top 100 prospects remained on the board.

Another Trey Smith or two, Jennings back, Byrd works out at DB, a pair of starting freshman LBs, and those JUCOs and who knows how many wins we could pull off this fall.

Reactions: 2 people
Another Trey Smith or two, Jennings back, Byrd works out at DB, a pair of starting freshman LBs, and those JUCOs and who knows how many wins we could pull off this fall.

This is what I've been saying. With the talent already on the team (just needs development and good coaching), the great recruits coming our way this year, and the new coaching staff... I do not believe VolNation will be as embarrassed as we thought we would be in 2018. If a couple of toss-up games go our way we could have a 7, 8, or 9 win season... plus a bowl game. Just remember we shouldn't count out that dog that ain't been hunted yit (Smokey V.2018.0)! ! !

GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
According to Jimmy"the tool" Hyams we won't get a top 10 class. He was on the radio in Nashville this morning and they asked him. I know "consider the source".

According to Jimmy"the tool" Hyams we won't get a top 10 class. He was on the radio in Nashville this morning and they asked him. I know "consider the source".

A whole lot of people don't think UT will get a top 10 class this year, after Jones, Currie, decommits, short time for Pruitt to recruit, early signing, etc.

That and we have a football coach now. No more of those stupid sayings from Butch. :clapping::clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
Really? We are at 16th. A couple of big names, and we are in the top 10. Eleven spots and we are at no.5. Don’t tell me it can’t be done, because I believe it can and will be done.:):thud::rock::clapping:

are they already here or coming in tomorrow? If they aren't it could be a mess with a bunch of no shows.

Really? We are at 16th. A couple of big names, and we are in the top 10. Eleven spots and we are at no.5. Don’t tell me it can’t be done, because I believe it can and will be done.:):thud::rock::clapping:

Its going to extremely difficult for us to get in the top 10. We would need some of our current commits to get significant bumps. Also, we would need to land a few 5*s. Finally, we would need a few current top 10 teams to slip up. All that is unlikely. But this class will still be a big success.

Reactions: 3 people

Already 16th. We get Quay, Griffin, and Copeland and we are a lock for top 10.

Already 16th. We get Quay, Griffin, and Copeland and we are a lock for top 10.

Don’t think it’s quite that simple. We can finish really strong with those guys and a few others and not necessarily get into the top 10...just not many teams in the top 10 we can displace at this point imo based on their average player ratings and how many signees they currently have.

Ftr, I think JP and staff have done a phenomenal job thus far with this class. It’s great to be excited about recruiting again.

We can only sign 23. It just may not be mathematically possible to climb to 10th

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to miss Lyle. A life champion with a five star heart whose teams played complimentary football...:yuck:

Had you included individual or some derivatives of it at least three times in that sentence, it would have been perfect.

We can only sign 23. It just may not be mathematically possible to climb to 10th

I thought we had 25 spots before the early departures of Kelly, Gaulden and McKenzie. My count is 28 that we could sign. I could be wrong.

I thought we had 25 spots before the early departures of Kelly, Gaulden and McKenzie. My count is 28 that we could sign. I could be wrong.

Can't sign more than 25 in any class anymore. And this year we can't sign but 23.

Those of you doing arithmetic, and trying to see if we can make the top 10, don't forget that other teams can add players and increase their numbers, too.

Those of you doing arithmetic, and trying to see if we can make the top 10, don't forget that other teams can add players and increase their numbers, too.

10 of the teams ahead of us already have 20+ signed/committed. We have plenty of room to move into the top 10.

10 of the teams ahead of us already have 20+ signed/committed. We have plenty of room to move into the top 10.

OK, so some of them don't, and 5-stars may be added. Take a look below us, too, at teams with fewer players signed. I've got no guess how it will work out, just that there are a lot of moving parts.

This only applies to the Rivals rankings:

Tennessee currently has 1947 team points with 18 players. If we add Quay Walker (152), Griffin (184) and Copeland (148), we will have 2371 team points after subtracting off 60 for dropping a 5.5 rated player. Rivals only counts the top 20 players on a team and we would have 21 at this point. This would put us in 11th and only ever so slightly behind Clemson (2379).

But...Clemson only has 15 players and Southern Cal (2238) only has 13. It will be hard to get in front of either of these teams. With one more 4 star, we could move in front of Auburn (2436) since they already have 21 players but that would only put us at 11th (assuming Clemson and USC are in front of us).

I think we need to have more than 2600 team points in the end to get into the top 10, which means we need a Taylor-Stuart (219), or several other high 4 stars.

Funny thing...last year's Rivals 10th place team only had 2257 team points, and the year before that the 10th place team only had 2429. This is a tough year to get into the top 10.

VN Store

Back