Committed to LSU. Vols offered 12-20-17

Rivals.com

Maurice Hampton, Memphis University School, Cornerback

[twitter]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person
Why are we just now offering this kid?

Wth Butch?

I'm reading between the lines a little here, but I don't think Butch was welcome at this high school. When he was at Cincy he took a commitment from one of their players and then dropped the kid really close to signing day. The coaches at USM were furious. When Butch came to UT and wanted to recruit Drew Richmond, who also went to USM, Butch had to spend a lot of time mending fences with that coaching staff. We obviously landed Richmond, but then the very next year Butch accepted a commitment from another USM kid, Tim Hart, only to drop him close to signing day. My guess is that that made Butch public enemy #1 on that campus.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm reading between the lines a little here, but I don't think Butch was welcome at this high school. When he was at Cincy he took a commitment from one of their players and then dropped the kid really close to signing day. The coaches at USM were furious. When Butch came to UT and wanted to recruit Drew Richmond, who also went to USM, Butch had to spend a lot of time mending fences with that coaching staff. We obviously landed Richmond, but then the very next year Butch accepted a commitment from another USM kid, Tim Hart, only to drop him close to signing day. My guess is that that made Butch public enemy #1 on that campus.

So he did it twice? And Hart is at Memphis now.

So he did it twice? And Hart is at Memphis now.

Not only did he do it twice, but I'm assuming that in between the first and second time, he went there and told them everything they wanted to hear so that he could get us in on Richmond. That probably made him look like an even bigger liar and hypocrite when he turned right around and dropped Hart the very next year. Again, this is all me reading between the lines. People who are actually close to the situation may have a different story to tell.

And yes, Hart did end up signing with Memphis IIRC.

Why are we just now offering this kid?

Wth Butch?

Butch gave up during/after the 2016 season. He knew 2016 was a make it or break it year. When things went off the rails he clocked out. Couple that with the locker room issues that he couldn't handle, totally over his head imo, and the end of the story was written. Tried his dangdest to try and get another job but he lost what little shine he had with the way the season ended and there were literally no suitors. He then switched agents in order to protect his contract and to hopefully garner some more interest from a higher profile agent. Moral of the story, when your head coach wants out as badly as Butch wanted out last year, open the door for them and make it happen.

Reactions: 2 people
The bad thing is Hart played really well this season for Memphis, even starting I believe 6 games and he had a crucial pick 6 against Josh Rosen and UCLA. We could have used him this season.

Reactions: 1 person
Not only did he do it twice, but I'm assuming that in between the first and second time, he went there and told them everything they wanted to hear so that he could get us in on Richmond. That probably made him look like an even bigger liar and hypocrite when he turned right around and dropped Hart the very next year. Again, this is all me reading between the lines. People who are actually close to the situation may have a different story to tell.

And yes, Hart did end up signing with Memphis IIRC.

Idk why butch took prospects commits early on knowing he wud renege later. He did it to sooo many players.

I’d say you’re reading between the lines quite a bit considering the name of the school is actually MUS

I’m betting butch didn’t bother recruiting him. He’s been committed to LSU for a long time to play football and baseball.

I’d say you’re reading between the lines quite a bit considering the name of the school is actually MUS

I’m betting butch didn’t bother recruiting him. He’s been committed to LSU for a long time to play football and baseball.

Thanks for the correction on the school name. The part I'm reading between the lines on is Butch being persona non grata at MUS after dropping Tim Hart. Everything else I wrote was common knowledge during the Richmond and Hart recruitments, and Hart publicly expressed his displeasure after being dropped.

Thanks for the correction on the school name. The part I'm reading between the lines on is Butch being persona non grata at MUS after dropping Tim Hart. Everything else I wrote was common knowledge during the Richmond and Hart recruitments, and Hart publicly expressed his displeasure after being dropped.

So, let me get this straight. Butch gives Colton Jumper a scholly, but pulls one from Hart. (I know they play different positions, if you can in fact call anything Jumper did as "playing").

SMH :mf_surrender:

Coaches travel note...

Tennessee worked instate today but only hit up private schools because of weather with so many systems still closed.

Terry Fair went to Ensworth to see Keshawn Lawrence while Jeremy Pruitt went to Memphis to see Bill Norton, Marcus Henderson, Maurice Hampton, Omari Thomas, and Ray Curry.

-Price

19 for '19: Vols early wish list

Hampton is an LSU pledge but the Vols love this West Tennessee playmaker. He is long and would be a huge addition because of his ability to be a lockdown corner at the next level. After coming up short with the 2018 class, Hampton is very much a must swing target and the Vols will hope to get him on campus this spring.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back