The Effects Of Early Signing Period

For a coach with everything going right in his life, Saban sure complains a lot. About everything.

I agree with what Coach "S" says.

I wonder just what logic brought this change on.
Who, or what school or conference was behind this.

By the way; is early signing binding or does a prospect still have to finalize in Feb. I have read confusing statements along this line. I think it's finial, but not sure.

My problem is "what' the rush" things move too fast for these kids as it is. They do not need to rush. If they are good enough, the wait til Feb. will make no difference. f they are not, then it would be a mistake for them to "take advantage" of the rush, as they will suffer later. Wait it out, school at some level will be there for those not a "big school" level prospect. For them, the education will outweigh the little time they will play at a level that is beyond their physical or skill level.

Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't part of the reason for early signing to stop the incessant recruiting phone calls, texts, etc to those student/athletes that had already committed to a school?

If these calls, texts, etc are anything like the thousands of calls I received in the months leading up to the Handel/Ossoff congressional election then I support the early signing period for those recruits who are certain of their school choice. They darn sure need the RELIEF !!!

Last edited:
I agree with Saban. It only benefits lesser schools. Mid majors and lower level DI schools are going to push the borderline kids to sign with them early. Shouldn't affect a 4 or 5 star kid that knows where they are in the process and deciding on which P5 school they are signing with. The 3 star kids are the ones most affected.

Then, the schools with coaching changes like us are really scrambling to just get in front of kids. When we're prepping for a bowl game, it's kind of an inconvenience. If you're prepping for a playoff game, it's a hell of a distraction. Not that it's affected us.

I'd say Jucos, transfers and EE's during the early signing period. May graduates in February would be fine. I'd bet no P5 coach would be for the early signing period after this year if they ever were. Mid majors, directional schools, etc. are all about it.

I think the early signing period HURTS Power 5 schools and helps smaller conferences. We usually recruit all our blue chip athletes and if they signed else where around signing day. Tennessee and other Power 5 schools would raid the lower ranked teams recruiting classes on the last few days to fill holes and add bodies. These players benefited by getting to go to a better football school but they were not our first choice. Smaller schools would lose players that were committed to them all year long just because the "big boys" came calling last minute. What do yall think?

By the way; is early signing binding or does a prospect still have to finalize in Feb. I have read confusing statements along this line. I think it's finial, but not sure.

My problem is "what' the rush" things move too fast for these kids as it is. They do not need to rush. If they are good enough, the wait til Feb. will make no difference. f they are not, then it would be a mistake for them to "take advantage" of the rush, as they will suffer later. Wait it out, school at some level will be there for those not a "big school" level prospect. For them, the education will outweigh the little time they will play at a level that is beyond their physical or skill level.

Maybe some of these kids want to go ahead and get it over with so people will leave them the hell alone.

It's so kids can get their financial help earlier. Also so kids don't get pestered by grown ass men during the last few months of their school year. Some of you folks can find a problem with anything.

And yes we still have Feb 3rd to April signing period - that hasn't changed - likely never will.

FTR I don't believe there should be a signing day at all. If the kid has made up his mind and the school is willing to accept, then he should be able to send in his LOI whenever he wants to.

Yeah it's the dead period from Dec 18th to Jan 11th, so the early signing period keeps grown azz men from pestering recruits for what, 21 days or so? NCAA passed it because there's more AD's and presidents outside of the Power 5 than there are inside. Early signing absolutely protects the smaller schools from having recruits poached at the Feb. signing day. That's what it was designed to do.

Yeah it's the dead period from Dec 18th to Jan 11th, so the early signing period keeps grown azz men from pestering recruits for what, 21 days or so? NCAA passed it because there's more AD's and presidents outside of the Power 5 than there are inside. Early signing absolutely protects the smaller schools from having recruits poached at the Feb. signing day. That's what it was designed to do.

You're missing the point. Once they sign they're locked in. So coaches won't be pestering them from Jan to Feb. You're talking a hundred plus texts a day for some of these kids. The dead period comment was made to show it's irrelevant that Pruitt is coaching - he woudnt be able to recruit anyways.

Dooley was a huge proponent. If that tells you anything

VN Store

Back