CJP and UT admissions

Nocleats

I wonder if CJP has been able to get UT Admin to change their admission policies? Players who meet all NCAA and SEC requirements up till now still may not be admitted into UT.. Players that Pruitt was able to get into Bama and UGA could possibly not be able to enroll at Tenn.
Hopefully Davenport now understands Volnation aint playing this BS no more!

Reactions: 4 people
I wonder if CJP has been able to get UT Admin to change their admission policies? Players who meet all NCAA and SEC requirements up till now still may not be admitted into UT.. Players that Pruitt was able to get into Bama and UGA could possibly not be able to enroll at Tenn.

Sorry you will have no voice in this.

Reactions: 8 people
Lets face it... Most players are at School for Ball... Should be different requirements that a regular student

Disagree - a player should have to meet the academic requirements for the university. It isn't fair, and could be challenged in court, if the university denies admission for a non-athlete due to the requirements but allows an athlete to enter and obtain a scholarship.

Reactions: 4 people
Disagree - a player should have to meet the academic requirements for the university. It isn't fair, and could be challenged in court, if the university denies admission for a non-athlete due to the requirements but allows an athlete to enter and obtain a scholarship.

Happens all the time... An College Athlete like it or not is more valuable if they are superstar to the university in terms on revenue than a regular student ..

Look at Basketball at Duke as an example.. Think those plays meet the requirements to get in.. NO WAY

Reactions: 1 person

A lot of these cats ain't come to play school. If the admissions were the same for both athletes and regular students you'd have a terrible football team. Even Vanderbilt has admissions for athletes. That's how it works in this league. Our admissions for athletes need to be on par with Bama.

A lot of these cats ain't come to play school. If the admissions were the same for both athletes and regular students you'd have a terrible football team. Even Vanderbilt has admissions for athletes. That's how it works in this league. Our admissions for athletes need to be on par with Bama.

Both Florida and Georgia have higher ACT and SAT averages for admission than Tennessee. Tennessee is higher than Alabama. Tennessee is similar to Auburn who had no problem beating Alabama. Clemson entry requirements are higher than Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia. They are similar to Florida. Clemson had no problem beating Alabama.

The argument that higher entrance requirements limits ability to field a really good football team does not hold water.

I agree that Pruitt will need to adapt to UT's requirements - but the argument that UT needs to lower its standards is ridiculous.

Sometimes smarter kids are smarter on the football field as well. Sometimes smarter kids are more balanced and have what it takes to balance school work with playing sports.

Studies have shown that high school kids that participate in activities outside of school (athletics, band, et al) actually do better in school. They learn time management which is key for success in college and after their education has ended.

Reactions: 2 people
But of course there are those pampered children that have been given everything and never had to earn anything, The longer that continues the harder it will be on them when they get to the point where they have to compete and have to earn what they get.

I sometimes wonder if that is why some of the highly rated players turn into busts. They don't have what it takes to earn their way.

Reactions: 1 person

Nerd alert

Again, I think people aren't hearing the real story.. A HS player has to meet NCAA and SEC guidelines in order to receive an athletic scholarship. As long as they meet these guidelines, they are admitted and every school in the SEC allows them in under these guidelines, EXCEPT for Tennessee. Academic exceptions are allowed at every school in the conference but Tennessee. (even vandy) My ? is why are we ok with this.. Why should our coaches not be allowed to go after the same players that other SEC schools allow in. Why do Tennessees' coaches have to recruit on an unleveled field? We are a state University, not Stanford or Princeton, however Stanford WOULD allow them in as long as they met NCAA requirements but Tennessee wouldn't!

Lets face it... Most players are at School for Ball... Should be different requirements that a regular student

Totally disagree. They should meet the same requirements of other students. That should be a requirement at all SEC schools.

I think this is one of the biggest issues at Tennessee. Since they started doing this Tennessee has pretty much sucked. Want Vanderbilt kids, play like Vanderbilt. Heck they're not even as good as Vanderbilt.

If it's easier to get into UGA, UF, ALA then continue to expect to suck, or get out of the league. You're not going to be able to compete very well or beat them most of the time. Makes no sense to put restrictions on a program when trying to compete with teams that have a competitive advantage. Sounds like liberal logic to me.

Whoa bruin, you can't say that, that would make things to easy and possibly allow Tennessee to get some 5 stars players with a 2.0 gpa. I agree with you, recruits shouldn't have to be scholars to plays sports

Totally disagree. They should meet the same requirements of other students. That should be a requirement at all SEC schools.

These kids aren't here for their academic prowess. Keep treating them that way and Tennessee will be as relevant as Ole Miss. And just so you know those dumb football players provide a lot of revenue for academic programs. Let's keep our heads in the sand while every other school in the conference bypasses us though and see what happens when attendance and donations fall by 10-20%.

Let's start to see the big picture and think about what Knoxville and UTK look like without a financially successful football program.

Beverly Davenport doesn't understand anything except money. And for her part I understand, she values academics more than football and really that's fine. I'm still scratching my head at people that think she's some kind of hero for appointing Fulmer over the other Haslam stooge. She simply saw losing one boosters support as less damaging than losing ten others and a fan base. Haslam and academia both have sucked the life out of the football program; one is gone but football still has to take whatever financial scraps are left over after the chancellor fleeces it's earnings.

VN Store

Back