Rubble

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
I am just venting here..

Years of self serving incompetent "leadership" has literally left one of the best football programs in the country in complete rubble.

We thought we had seen rock bottom under Dooley only to see Botch Jones give us the worst season in program history. Now, 10 years after the pathetic display that was the firing of Fulmer, we find ourselves without a freaking recruiting class. The lack of a legitimate recruiting class will put, which was likely another 5 year rebuild anyway, another 2-3 years on top of that.

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC
A year without a recruiting class
The national embarrassment that was the coaching "search"

And going winless in the SEC this year, many of will not be around the next time Tennessee fields a competitive football team.

God I hope I am wrong. I hope Pruitt is the next Nick Saban. I hope the humiliation that was the coaching search will quickly be forgotten. I hope our new staff is so good that they can somehow make up for this whiff of a recruiting class but the last 10 years have been so pitiful that hope and trust just don't give many the same optimism that they once did.

I guess we have no choice but to put up with crap however long it last.

Reactions: 2 people
We will finish in the top 10 in the final recruiting rankings in February and the whole basis of this post will be rendered irrelevant.

Reactions: 10 people
We will finish in the top 10 in the final recruiting rankings in February and the whole basis of this post will be rendered irrelevant.

I concur here.

this staff is light years ahead on the recruiting part of the game as well as the evaluation of talent for long term sustainability of the program.

can’t tell you how hard these guys are busting their tails on recruiting right now.

Reactions: 19 people
I concur here.

this staff is light years ahead on the recruiting part of the game as well as the evaluation of talent for long term sustainability of the program.

can’t tell you how hard these guys are busting their tails on recruiting right now.

oh, you can tell. they're all over the place, multiple states in a single day, west coast, east coast, FL AL MS, TN GA....

yeah, i think it should be blatantly obvious to anyone that pays just a little attention, how much work they're all doing right now. and short staffed to boot.

Reactions: 6 people
I am just venting here..

Years of self serving incompetent "leadership" has literally left one of the best football programs in the country in complete rubble.

We thought we had seen rock bottom under Dooley only to see Botch Jones give us the worst season in program history. Now, 10 years after the pathetic display that was the firing of Fulmer, we find ourselves without a freaking recruiting class. The lack of a legitimate recruiting class will put, which was likely another 5 year rebuild anyway, another 2-3 years on top of that.

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC

And going winless in the SEC this year, many of will not be around the next time Tennessee fields a competitive football team.

God I hope I am wrong. I hope Pruitt is the next Nick Saban. I hope the humiliation that was the coaching search will quickly be forgotten. I hope our new staff is so good that they can somehow make up for this whiff of a recruiting class but the last 10 years have been so pitiful that hope and trust just don't give many the same optimism that they once did.

Chill out man. This class will finish with a higher ranking than the last 2 classes under Butch.

Plus we may be able to actually develop the players we currently have now. Everything will be just fine.

Reactions: 3 people
FYu10Bd.gif

Reactions: 8 people
I concur here.

Good to see you AV. Hopefully we catch up to what Bama and UGA are $elling $oon too. :)

I am just venting here..

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC

Jones was a very bad coach. Some of us tried to warn the others here that there were bad signs concerning his coaching ability in the first year. That team lost at least one game it shouldn't have lost and was uncompetitive in a couple of games when the scores shouldn't have been as embarrassing as they were. There were more signs in every year that followed.

However Jones did do some good things. He would have left the program in almost ideal position 2 years ago if those in charge had been willing to honestly evaluate his flaws. Instead, they let him hire new assistants... good coaches who did not perform under his leadership. We can speculate on what he did that caused these things. We know without question that the O was his from the day he signed until the last game. But what is certain is that he NEVER had what it took to be a winning coach in the SEC. I don't hate him... but I've fired people that I liked because they couldn't do the job to expectations.

So we are two years into the decline started after Jones choked away his opportunity to reestablish the program. He compounded that failure by making excuses about youth, depth, injuries, etc... to cover his lack of ability. Too many bought it.

The good news is that there is still enough talent to build on. UT still has great facilities and much to offer recruits. Immediate playing time is there for guys who are good enough. Pruitt can point to Fr who have succeeded under him before as can several of the other coaches. The new rules will dictate that Pruitt sign a near full class. He'll hopefully have some victories then he'll take some chances with a few guys.

This IS part of the test. There is no "year zero". There is no allowance for a 5+ year rebuild before Pruitt must start winning. He's making decisions right now that will either lead him to long success or failure in less than 5 years.

We WILL be able to tell. Great coaches, coach great. If they have a 3 win roster... they find a way to win six (see Brohm). If they have a six win roster... they win 8. Pruitt IMO inherits a 7 win or so roster assuming he gets most of the injured players back. If he wins six then get ready for heart ache... and especially if they aren't competitive. If he wins 7 there's still hope but as much caution as hope. Eight... more hope than caution. If he figures out how to beat all the teams on the schedule except for those with pretty obvious roster advantages (Aub, UGA, and Bama)... then we may have a special coach.

I am just venting here..

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC

Please back away from the ledge

Reactions: 1 person
I am just venting here..

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC

They haven't whiffed on this recruiting class. They came in, trimmed the fat and will start getting the players they want on board.W E will still sign close to 25 by time the next signing day is finished. Would not shock me if we got 5+ commits this weekend and possibly several more. And hopefully throw in the Cal Grad Transfer and Van Jefferson too.

Jones was a very bad coach. Some of us tried to warn the others here that there were bad signs concerning his coaching ability in the first year. That team lost at least one game it shouldn't have lost and was uncompetitive in a couple of games when the scores shouldn't have been as embarrassing as they were. There were more signs in every year that followed.

However Jones did do some good things. He would have left the program in almost ideal position 2 years ago if those in charge had been willing to honestly evaluate his flaws. Instead, they let him hire new assistants... good coaches who did not perform under his leadership. We can speculate on what he did that caused these things. We know without question that the O was his from the day he signed until the last game. But what is certain is that he NEVER had what it took to be a winning coach in the SEC. I don't hate him... but I've fired people that I liked because they couldn't do the job to expectations.

So we are two years into the decline started after Jones choked away his opportunity to reestablish the program. He compounded that failure by making excuses about youth, depth, injuries, etc... to cover his lack of ability. Too many bought it.

The good news is that there is still enough talent to build on. UT still has great facilities and much to offer recruits. Immediate playing time is there for guys who are good enough. Pruitt can point to Fr who have succeeded under him before as can several of the other coaches. The new rules will dictate that Pruitt sign a near full class. He'll hopefully have some victories then he'll take some chances with a few guys.

This IS part of the test. There is no "year zero". There is no allowance for a 5+ year rebuild before Pruitt must start winning. He's making decisions right now that will either lead him to long success or failure in less than 5 years.

We WILL be able to tell. Great coaches, coach great. If they have a 3 win roster... they find a way to win six (see Brohm). If they have a six win roster... they win 8. Pruitt IMO inherits a 7 win or so roster assuming he gets most of the injured players back. If he wins six then get ready for heart ache... and especially if they aren't competitive. If he wins 7 there's still hope but as much caution as hope. Eight... more hope than caution. If he figures out how to beat all the teams on the schedule except for those with pretty obvious roster advantages (Aub, UGA, and Bama)... then we may have a special coach.

Good thoughts, but I don't know that your first year coach test is quite as telling as you make it sound. Maybe the test should be in year two or later. There are plenty of coaches that had horrible first years that turned out great. For example, Saban at Bama first year 6-6, Kirby last year at UGA 7-5. The rosters on 2007 Bama and 2016 UGA had much more talent than those results. Were they horrible coaches because of that after year one. No, of course not. Sometimes it takes a couple years to implement the system. You can't really tell anything from the results in Year one. IMO.

Last edited:
I am just venting here..

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC

Probably has something to do with you living in Cat Country, anything you read from Lexington is going to obviously have a negative UT spin. I live in the same state, in Memphis, and I still see a lot of this from the local media.

i don't disagree with any of this, but i think you get 7 and a bowl next year, call it a W and move on to signing would could be a true impact class in 19, and by year 3 at the latest we're talking bigger/better things. maybe year 2, depending on how this class shakes out, and who develops.

year 1 is tough. lots of things have to fall in to place chemistry wise for a brand new staff, new players, new.....everything. the good news, Pruitt seems to have a simplified system that most of his former players say is adaptable and easy to translate, at least defensively speaking.

no idea on Friend and Helton and how multiple their playbook or schemes are.

i think 7 would be a good # in year one, and would probably mean we beat everyone we were supposed to. lost the ones we were supposed to and pushed in the "even" games.

do agree, win more than that, and i think you start feeling really good about this group.

Unbelievable how bought in most of you are. Great for you. I think whoever they hired would be an improvement in X & Os but you all are so easy to manipulate. Early in the search there was no way a coordinator needed to be heading the football team at TENN. Any coach could recruit at TENN with all it has to offer. Money was not an object, just offer $10M a year. CBJ could recruit but couldn't develop. We have talent for the next coach. Now we hire a coordinator from Bama and brag about how great he can recruit. We need all of the coaches he is hiring because they can recruit. We are paying less than $4M a year. Now we have low expectations because Jones 4* recruit were not the same type as Pruitt recruits. We have no talent on the roster so don't expect much next year. The excitement reminds me of the last 2 hires after the press conferences. This fan base needs a winner soooo bad, they will accept any hope just because it's a change. I hope Pruitt absolutely is a big winner but I am waiting before making any predictions.

I am just venting here..

Given the facts:

Unproven new HC

You must have meant to put this in the Gruden thread.

Unbelievable how bought in most of you are. Great for you. I think whoever they hired would be an improvement in X & Os but you all are so easy to manipulate. Early in the search there was no way a coordinator needed to be heading the football team at TENN. Any coach could recruit at TENN with all it has to offer. Money was not an object, just offer $10M a year. CBJ could recruit but couldn't develop. We have talent for the next coach. Now we hire a coordinator from Bama and brag about how great he can recruit. We need all of the coaches he is hiring because they can recruit. We are paying less than $4M a year. Now we have low expectations because Jones 4* recruit were not the same type as Pruitt recruits. We have no talent on the roster so don't expect much next year. The excitement reminds me of the last 2 hires after the press conferences. This fan base needs a winner soooo bad, they will accept any hope just because it's a change. I hope Pruitt absolutely is a big winner but I am waiting before making any predictions.
talk about oversimplification of the situation. their first, and apparently only, candidate before all the hoopola was Gregg freaking Schiano.

all things considered, i think we've done ok.

VN Store

Back