'19 AL DT LeDarrius Cox (Ole Miss signee)

It's great to see Tennessee finally recruiting Gulf Coast Alabama! There are a ton of d1 athletes here. It's sickening to see all of them go to Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Cal, etc. Finally we have a coach who knows about the gold mine that is here in Mobile and the surrounding area! The PAC 12 comes here, the Big 10 comes here, it's great to finally see Tennessee show up!

Reactions: 1 person
Chad Simmons of Rivals interview with Cox today at Rivals camp in Mobile...UGA offered recently and he visited there yesterday for their junior day, spoke highly of them "they're definitely in my top 3". But he wouldn't say who his other 2 are but did say he plans to commit this spring or summer. When asked who's he's seeing this spring said UT next weekend and LSU weekend after that. Talks highly of Pruitt, said that's why he's visiting UT, he was recruiting him to Bama before and offered soon after getting UT job.

Since taking over at Tennessee, Jeremy Pruitt has been attacking the state of Alabama on the recruiting trail. Defensive tackle LeDarrius Cox plans to visit Knoxville this weekend. He had a good day. Defensive lineman Patrick Lucas was offered quickly after Pruitt took over and he has real interest in the Vols. A 2020 running back who Tennessee offered early, Jordon Ingram, stood out at his position. Another young prospect is Kris Draine, a 2020 wide receiver who is a Vols target that flashed quickness and hands.
-Rivals

From Rivals:

DT LeDarrius Cox

The situation: This race could still have a lot of twists and turns to it, depending on who offers moving forward, but where it stands today, Georgia is the favorite to land one of the top defensive linemen in Alabama. You have to keep an eye on Tennessee, he is visiting the Vols this weekend. Texas A&M recently offered too. Don’t be surprised if more schools jump on board and offer in the near future.

The pick: Georgia

“The trip went very well,” said the 6-foot-5, 300-pound tackle. "It was nice meeting the coaches and starting to build a relationship with them. I wanted to see where I would fit in at.”

Cox, a 3-star recruit whose early offers include Georgia, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Nebraska, had met Pruitt previously twice at visits/camps at Alabama, but the Mobile native had his first 1-on-1 interaction with the new head coach Saturday. Pruitt told Cox that Tennessee’s defense is looking for his combination of size and strength.

“He was just saying when he watched my film he was amazed,” Cox said. “The coaches said I have a really nice get-off. Pruitt told me how great Tennessee is, and what it would be like if I came to Tennessee. He said that he was one of the first people to take a chance and offer me.”

Cox recorded 46 tackles and six sacks as a junior, earning honorable mention all-state honors for a program that lost in the Class 7A State Championship Game. He’s being recruited as a true nose guard, describing his game as “very powerful and quick.” “I have a good get-off and I just do what my coach tells me to do,” Cox said. “I play within the defense.”

Cox visited Georgia last weekend and has trips scheduled to LSU (next week), Ole Miss (March 24) and Texas A&M in the coming weeks. He said both UGA and Tennessee “set the bar high for me.” “I loved both schools,” Cox said. “It was a fun and nice experience to see both schools. Looking forward to see what’s next.”

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Cox said he “loved it up there” during his first trip to Knoxville, and he’s already planning to visit the Vols again.

“That was my first time up there. It went well,” said Cox, who’s ranked the No. 494 overall prospect and No. 33 defensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite for the 2019 class. “I got a chance to meet the coaches and tour the campus and really get a feel for Tennessee, and I enjoyed it a lot. Everything there was real nice. It was a really nice vibe. I loved it up there.”

“When Coach Pruitt was at Alabama, he really liked me and told me I was a good player and whatnot. So I guess, when he got to Tennessee, he just pulled the trigger and offered me,” Cox said. “I was still surprised when I got the offer, because I didn’t really know he was going to really offer me. But it was just a blessing that he did.”

Rocker and Ollie both talked extensively with him while he was there and made it clear to Cox that the Vols could use his help as a “nose guard” in their new defense.

“They said they need big guys like me,” Cox said.

“They’re straightforward and they’re honest,” Cox said. "They’re going to tell you how they feel and what they feel.”

“I will go back,” Cox said.

Said he will try to make a decision this summer.

Reactions: 3 people
Same last name as my brother-in-law. They are probably related. Except that my brother-in-law is not black or has any family in AL.

Booooom

“LeDarrius Cox of McGill Toolen (Ala.) has committed to Tennessee.

I’ll have more on him later. I’m at a school now. Like this kid a lot.”

-Simmons

Reactions: 5 people
Well that’s a nice surprise...

tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 people
[twitter]981632047981715456[/twitter]
[twitter]981627575771516930[/twitter]

Just got off the phone with LeDarrius Cox. Said Tracy Rocker was the difference in his recruitment. Will have story shortly.

-Simonton

Reactions: 17 people

VN Store

Back