'18 CA WR Geordon Porter

Don't really have an opinion on this recruit, but I am excited for getting our coach back in less than 12 hours.... and how busy this recruiting forum will be the next few weeks with activity.

Can't wait to see how this class rounds out.

Reactions: 1 person
Need more WRs especially if Byrd is heading to DB. Also with this guy and that JUCO wideout visiting this weekend it makes me think the WR coach will be hired very soon

Re: Porter

[twitter]https://twitter.com/jason_fray/status/950441789902659584[/twitter]

Reactions: 7 people
Geordon (pronounced Gordon) is coming in on Friday.

He's already seen Az State, Utah, and ND. He's not sure about a 5th visit. Likes Tennessee's plan of attack offensively with a pro-style and vertical passing game.

Neidermeyer is recruiting him but he's spoke to Pruitt some. He expects to meet the WR coach this weekend although he's not been told who that is at this point.

Hubbs

Reactions: 8 people
Hmmm wonder who it is ?

Based on JJ Peterson commitment coming before his vist & was confirmed Rush was in Kville last weekend meeting with the coaches that aren't Pruitt & Sheerer who he already knows my $$$ is on Rush as new WR coach announced tomorrow 1st day of 10th assistant coach.

Based on JJ Peterson commitment coming before his vist & was confirmed Rush was in Kville last weekend meeting with the coaches that aren't Pruitt & Sheerer who he already knows my $$$ is on Rush as new WR coach announced tomorrow 1st day of 10th assistant coach.

That's what I was thinking too, but that has been said to not be the case. We'll see. If not him then my uneducated guess would be either that Juco head coach from Valentine's school or the Purdue WR coach. I'd be happy with any of those 3. All look like good coaches.

Tennessee pursuit of prospects in the state of California since Jeremy Pruitt's arrival is picking up steam. This weekend, Etiwanda, Ca. receiver Geordon Porter is scheduled to be in Knoxville for an official visit. “I got the visit details finalized a couple of days ago,” Porter said. “I wanted to get this visit in early in January. I'm not sure about my last visit but I knew I wanted to get to Tennessee as early as I could in January.”

Porter has already visited Arizona State, Utah and Notre Dame where he was once committed back, in November. Porter decided in early December that he wasn't going to sign early as he wanted to see other places to make sure of his decision and that's when Tennessee's new coaching staff started calling led by Brian Neidermeyer.

“Coach Neidermeyer is who recruiting me,” Porter said. “I have also talked some to coach Pruitt who said he's excited to get me to town this weekend. “They started calling in December, and it was pretty big deal because that's a big school. I was really excited.”

Porter's excitement is due to several things. “It's in the SEC,” Porter said. “People love football there and they have great tradition. Peyton Manning played there. It's a great football school.”

Porter also likes what he's hearing about Tennessee's offense. “They like my speed,” Porter said. “They like that I can get down the field. A pro-style offense is what I like. I'm looking for a good academic school. An offense with a balanced attack, and one that goes vertical in the passing game.”

Porter said he hasn't been told who the Vols receivers coach is going to be but has been informed that he should get to meet him this weekend while on the visit. Pruitt has one coaching spot left and has not hired a receivers coach to date.

-VQ

Reactions: 6 people
Rush would be who I'd hope for personally at this point. I know some don't like him BUT the guy shows he cares about the kids. I think he is the best coach and opens up the most potential recruiting aside from his past mistakes

That's what I was thinking too, but that has been said to not be the case. We'll see. If not him then my uneducated guess would be either that Juco head coach from Valentine's school or the Purdue WR coach. I'd be happy with any of those 3. All look like good coaches.

Yea any of those 3 would be great. No inside information, just a gut feeling it's Rush... It just makes sense. With Peterson commit, ties to Pruitt and Sheerer. And I think Rush is the replacement for Helton at OC when he leaves for a HC job in a couple years. Helton wouldn't have left his brothers staff unless he was wanting to get the OC title to help him get a HC job.

Like I said just seems to make the most sense to be Rush.

Yea any of those 3 would be great. No inside information, just a gut feeling it's Rush... It just makes sense. With Peterson commit, ties to Pruitt and Sheerer. And I think Rush is the replacement for Helton at OC when he leaves for a HC job in a couple years. Helton wouldn't have left his brothers staff unless he was wanting to get the OC title to help him get a HC job.

Like I said just seems to make the most sense to be Rush.
If you’re broaching that future OC angle, you need to check out Joe Osovet on YouTube. Dude is brilliant.

If you’re broaching that future OC angle, you need to check out Joe Osovet on YouTube. Dude is brilliant.

Bingo, up and coming offensive mind with recruiting connections in NY, NJ, Baltimore and Philly.

Reactions: 2 people
Analyst' opinions on Porter after his ND commitment...

247Sports National Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong: "Notre Dame lands a high-upside receiver in Geordon Porter. You've heard and read a lot about his speed and it's well documented, he is in the discussion as the fastest player in California. He's also explosive with a 35-inch vertical with change of direction quickness. Porter was a late bloomer but has really started to show his potential as a senior, a difference-maker on routes to all levels of the field, he is also a playmaker after the catch and makes things happen in the return game as well. Porter isn't close to being maxed out. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a fixture in ND's receiver rotation for years to come."

Scout Director of Recruiting Brandon Huffman: "The first thing that pops with Geordon is his speed. He's one of the fastest football players in the West and that speed was on display all spring and summer. Where he's blossomed is as a pure pass-catcher. That was the one question mark for him going in to his senior season - the speed was there, that straight line speed that had him in the Fastest Man Finals at The Opening Los Angeles. But it was about becoming more of a pure receiver - running crisp routes, catching the ball naturally and consistently and getting off the line and separation. He's done that well this year. In an early season shootout with Redlands (Calif.) East Valley, he had a 7-catch, 256-yard, 4-TD performance, carrying over the confidence he had in the offseason into pads and on Friday nights. His best football is ahead of him. He is still a little raw as a true receiver, but he has immense upside and athleticism that already gives him a leg up."

What is Notre Dame getting in new WR commit Geordon Porter?

Reactions: 5 people

The thing with Osovet (IMO) is Pruitt wouldn't bring him in as say the OC of the future due to his Offensive scheme he runs as a HC n OC in past. If we're recruiting kids for a pro style offense why bring a guy in that when and if he takes over our player personnel doesn't fit his scheme.

The thing with Osovet (IMO) is Pruitt wouldn't bring him in as say the OC of the future due to his Offensive scheme he runs as a HC n OC in past. If we're recruiting kids for a pro style offense why bring a guy in that when and if he takes over our player personnel doesn't fit his scheme.

This.... wouldn’t make sense imo either but who knows?

Helton’s not running a pure pro set imo. Bama doesn’t. Osovet runs it because it fits his available personnel.

Helton’s not running a pure pro set imo. Bama doesn’t. Osovet runs it because it fits his available personnel.

Gotcha, only thing I've seen of his offenses was the hurry read option stuff. That's the reasoning for my comments.

He seems very interested. Seems to be a smart kid that is doing his homework.

He is coming in this weekend, I tried to see if there is a post of all visiters coming in this weekendnyone see one??

VN Store

Back