Volunteer_Kirby

Its not what you think...
4_7945092.png

Chase Brown
6-5, 315
Lackawanna C.C. Scranton, PA

Rivals
Hudl

As a prep at Briar Woods (Broadlands, Va.) High School, Brown decided to sign with James Madison, but after a year there, he decided to leave and get a fresh start.

Brown is on pace to finish up his two-year degree in December and he will have two years to play two following the 2017 football season.

Current Pittsburgh commit (6/12/2017)

Tennessee offered (12/10/2017)

Meh. Highlights are meh.
Wonder if he has 2 or 3 left

Last edited:
With the offers going out to JUCO and grad transfers it’s obvious Pruitt ain’t just building for the future. He hates losing and wants to win now. I love it.

Reactions: 1 person
With the offers going out to JUCO and grad transfers it’s obvious Pruitt ain’t just building for the future. He hates losing and wants to win now. I love it.

I think he's gonna do a combo of both till he gets the depth and talent he wants. Don't think he wants to be in a position where he's having to play walk-ons on either line of scrimmage.

Tells me that Chance Hall might be finished as well as Nielhous is a complete project.. This years OL might be alot like 09

Tells me that Chance Hall might be finished as well as Nielhous is a complete project.. This years OL might be alot like 09

Butch's refusal to recruit more OLmen / LB was really dragging this team down. We should've had a stockpile there, but we've always had bare minimum, it was only when the injuries became too numerous that he had no choice but to recruit those areas. Still Butch preferred to rely on walk ons when he should've been giving younger scholarship guys valuable reps.

Honestly as time goes on I think we're going to see a huge difference between how Pruitt manages a roster and how Butch did it. One guy has learned for years under the best guys in the business. The other guy rode the coattail of his predecessor in Brian Kelly to get where he is and even then, there time together was limited (1 seasons? also the fact that he was demoted from OC to RB coach after Kelly arrived, well, that should've been another red flag).

Reactions: 1 person
Butch's refusal to recruit more OLmen / LB was really dragging this team down. We should've had a stockpile there, but we've always had bare minimum, it was only when the injuries became too numerous that he had no choice but to recruit those areas. Still Butch preferred to rely on walk ons when he should've been giving younger scholarship guys valuable reps.
QUOTE]

He recruited plenty of numbers on the OL.

He just took too many guys with histories of being injured, too many guys that needed around 3 years of growth and development, and mismanaged some of the ones who didn't fall into those categories.

If Hall, Jones, Calbert, and Niehaus were healthy, Boulware was still in the fold, and Richmond had received better coaching to this point we wouldn't scrambling for JUCOs and grad transfers right now.

Reactions: 2 people
QUOTE]

He recruited plenty of numbers on the OL.

He just took too many guys with histories of being injured, too many guys that needed around 3 years of growth and development, and mismanaged some of the ones who didn't fall into those categories.

If Hall, Jones, Calbert, and Niehaus were healthy, Boulware was still in the fold, and Richmond had received better coaching to this point we wouldn't scrambling for JUCOs and grad transfers right now.

True, it was a compound of many issues. with those guys healthy, Niehaus and Calbert were relatively unknown while Jones seemingly regressed. still not enough and Butch couldn't see it.

After 0 OL commits in the 12 class, Butch recruited 3 guys in '13 - Kendrick, Sanders & Wiesman - not exactly a good idea when we were looking at an empty cupboard in '14.

In '14 he had to make up for lost ground because he had the bare minimum again, so he recruited Blair (did nothing), Mosely (recruited as a DT - was too out of shape, moved to guard - did nothing), Robertson (Butch's most complete OLman recruit even as a freshman), Raulerson (did nothing), & Coleman Thomas.

Again he only had those numbers because we were down to the bare minimum at OL and it should've been clear early that some of those guys weren't going to work out (namely Mosely, Blair and Raulerson).

Then in 2015 - Drew, Jack, Boulware & Chance - Stewart was a no show and was intended to be a grey shirt IIRC. This was probably Butchs best OL class, which isnt saying much. With the lack of talent that was obvious on the OL, Butch should've bee looking to reload - instead...

2016 - Johnson, Neihaus and Tatum - very mediocre class, this is where Butch really started to drop the ball because we had huge turnover from the '14 class and lackluster results from the '13 class. Should've been another reload yr and not the bare minumum taken (which, IMO is 3 in this league).

2017 - Trey, Locklear, Calbert, plus Brooks who will have to learn the position and has 2 serious knee injuries... besides Trey, a very underwhelming class. Not exactly a reload class either once you consider Brooks inexperience/prior injuries - a project that wouldnt pan out for years when we needed more immediate help.

17 guys over 5 years, with at least 2 projects, 4-6 guys who werent SEC material ON TOP of 0 guys in 2012. I'd say he screwed the pooch there. The fact that he only recruited one JUCO OLman his entire time here tells me all I need to know about his inability to manage/build an OL.

Butch may have had the numbers but he didn't have the presence of mind to get ahead of curve, especially when he had lots of injuries already showing and a complete lack of development from some of the older guys. It's taking too many projects, it's not developing guys and it's not recruiting enough guys. Again it seemed he only moved guys over (like Mosely & Brooks) when we had the bare minimum. Showed a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to build a SEC oline.

Reactions: 9 people
The offensive scheme I think was the issue. It was very predictable and lots of drawbacks aka not being able to line up under center and get a yard when needed. This year we had a QB that was oblivious to pressure, it was sad to watch. Dobbs disguised its weaknesses often with athleticism. It's hard to see development in oline when the defense is shouting out the play before the snap. If I could call the play, as a high school coach, you know these guys that eat that crap 24-7 on the college level could scheme to their advantage on any given situation. I think we will see just how bad it was this next year with our same personnel under great schemes on both sides of the ball . It will be obvious.

The offensive scheme I think was the issue. It was very predictable and lots of drawbacks aka not being able to line up under center and get a yard when needed. This year we had a QB that was oblivious to pressure, it was sad to watch. Dobbs disguised its weaknesses often with athleticism. It's hard to see development in oline when the defense is shouting out the play before the snap. If I could call the play, as a high school coach, you know these guys that eat that crap 24-7 on the college level could scheme to their advantage on any given situation. I think we will see just how bad it was this next year with our same personnel under great schemes on both sides of the ball . It will be obvious.

Agree, the middle school offense and lack of development was much of the cause. Some of these guys have talent

With new coaching, maybe some of our guys will finally start to see improvement. Just have to hope they all buy in. I'm honestly curious what our QBs will look like with actual coaching.

True, it was a compound of many issues. with those guys healthy, Niehaus and Calbert were relatively unknown while Jones seemingly regressed. still not enough and Butch couldn't see it.

After 0 OL commits in the 12 class, Butch recruited 3 guys in '13 - Kendrick, Sanders & Wiesman - not exactly a good idea when we were looking at an empty cupboard in '14.

In '14 he had to make up for lost ground because he had the bare minimum again, so he recruited Blair (did nothing), Mosely (recruited as a DT - was too out of shape, moved to guard - did nothing), Robertson (Butch's most complete OLman recruit even as a freshman), Raulerson (did nothing), & Coleman Thomas.

Again he only had those numbers because we were down to the bare minimum at OL and it should've been clear early that some of those guys weren't going to work out (namely Mosely, Blair and Raulerson).

Then in 2015 - Drew, Jack, Boulware & Chance - Stewart was a no show and was intended to be a grey shirt IIRC. This was probably Butchs best OL class, which isnt saying much. With the lack of talent that was obvious on the OL, Butch should've bee looking to reload - instead...

2016 - Johnson, Neihaus and Tatum - very mediocre class, this is where Butch really started to drop the ball because we had huge turnover from the '14 class and lackluster results from the '13 class. Should've been another reload yr and not the bare minumum taken (which, IMO is 3 in this league).

2017 - Trey, Locklear, Calbert, plus Brooks who will have to learn the position and has 2 serious knee injuries... besides Trey, a very underwhelming class. Not exactly a reload class either once you consider Brooks inexperience/prior injuries - a project that wouldnt pan out for years when we needed more immediate help.

17 guys over 5 years, with at least 2 projects, 4-6 guys who werent SEC material ON TOP of 0 guys in 2012. I'd say he screwed the pooch there. The fact that he only recruited one JUCO OLman his entire time here tells me all I need to know about his inability to manage/build an OL.

Butch may have had the numbers but he didn't have the presence of mind to get ahead of curve, especially when he had lots of injuries already showing and a complete lack of development from some of the older guys. It's taking too many projects, it's not developing guys and it's not recruiting enough guys. Again it seemed he only moved guys over (like Mosely & Brooks) when we had the bare minimum. Showed a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to build a SEC oline.

Good research. I didn’t realize where we are with offensive line play. If we don’t make a mad dash at ol it’s going to be hard this year. Wow.

Fulmer was one of the best in the country at recruiting and (definitely) developing linemen. Rarely did we not have a good to excellent OL. I think Phil knew how far away from OL competence we had gone. Too much focus on skill positions. Therefore, he was going to hire a coach that stressed those areas.

None of Jones OL
recruits will be drafted...that tells you a lot

Good research. I didn’t realize where we are with offensive line play. If we don’t make a mad dash at ol it’s going to be hard this year. Wow.

Most didn't see it. I remember telling people during the coaching search we were missing quality players all over the roster, biggest need was OL. This coach has a three year rebuild. Despite highly ranked classes we are razor thin and lack quality at many key positions.

VN Store

Back