Recruiting Forum: Official LSU Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Tennessee returns from Missouri without Head Coach Butch Jones for a showdown this week against LSU. As is the standard agreement, Tennessee must face the two toughest opponents in the SEC West at least 3/4 years, and though Auburn has a case here, they lost to LSU head to head.

Stuff to See:

1. Coordinators Unchained: A constant speculation on VN was that Butch Jones did not let Larry Scott and Bob Shoop run their units as they saw fit. Well, this week they get a chance to show what they can do without interference.

Don't expect the Vols to drop 40, or for the defense to just give up 10, but it will be curious to see what personnel changes are made, distribution of run/pass ratio, etc. At the very least, this game has some interest. Hank Hill reports that Ignont and Bituli are geting first team snaps already.

2. Last Chance at a Bowl: It goes without saying, Tennessee needs to win out to make a bowl. Still not sure if the APR is high enough for a 5-7 Vol team, but two wins and you're in.

3. Motivation: Will the team be high or low following the Butch firing? Despite rumors, he was not universally hated, and many, if not most, will be sad to see their coach go. That doesn't mean they will lay down, however. Will others be more engaged? Only the shadow knows.

4. LSU: Grumors are taking up my VN time this week, so I don't have a ton to break down on LSU, so sorry for that. Here is a bit for you though.

LSU features two very highly regarded coordinators who seem to have found their groove after a rough beginning to the season. Tennessee is going to have an awful time keeping McBride clean and establishing an offensive rhythm. LSU's defense gives up 19.4 PPG and Tennessee averages 20.4 PPG. When you account for strengths of schedule there, it makes Tennessee look even worse, and I would but the Vols at about 13 points here.

On the other hand, Tennessee gives up 257 on the ground, and LSU averages 208. I expect these numbers to also skew towards the purple and gold.

Prediction:
No matter how Tennessee performs, this game sets up as a really bad matchup for the Vols. LSU is strong against our weaknesses, and unless it's one of those magical Saturdays where emotion runs thick, turnovers are plenty, and the better team is caught napping...

TN 13
LSU 41

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yep - spot on, Nick. I've just got a lower margin.

LSU 34
UT 17

I think it’s close. Players are happy butch is gone and play hard. Suddenly Scott looks competent and Shoop’s defense will look better too.

24-21 LSU

this'll be a fun game to watch no matter the outcome. hopefully, we've all got ****-eating grins all day Saturday.

GBO!!

Reactions: 1 person
Some of our best players may actually be starting this game, so UT will show signs of what could have been on both sides of the ball. But still not enough developed depth and cohesion to overcome what has (or hasn't) been practiced all year.

UT 20
LSU 24

Thanks, Nick.

Reactions: 1 person
Anybody got a bit more of a handle than this article on what LSU's injury report will look like for gameday?

---------------------------------
Hit a wall? At Tennessee, LSU could start five freshmen a few weeks after Ed Orgeron met with the group to spark change | LSU | theadvocate.com

At Tennessee, LSU could start five freshmen a few weeks after Ed Orgeron met with the group to spark change

..."The status of starting edge rusher Arden Key (knee) and inside linebacker Donnie Alexander (shoulder/neck) is in question. Orgeron called them “questionable” on Thursday night, but neither player practiced Monday-Wednesday — a sign of a more doubtful status than anything.

Rookies K’Lavon Chaisson, for Key, and Tyler Taylor, for Alexander, could get the starting nod, joining offensive linemen Saahdiq Charles and Ed Ingram and safety Grant Delpit as true freshmen starters at Neyland Stadium.
------------------------------

But this stat must give Orgeron a warm feeling if he does start the frosh.

12 FBS stat categories where Tennessee ranks 101st or worse.

We are the SECs doormat.

Currie had better get it right.

VN Store

Back