Recruiting Forum: Official Missouri Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Tennessee heads west to somewhere in Missouri to face a high flying Mizzou offensive machine. The Vols finally broke a long losing streak, getting my Southern Miss in an effort where the defense stepped up with timely turnovers, and the offense did just enough to get by.

Missouri, on the other hand has a dynamic offense that is hard to stop. The truth is though, they have not been unstoppable, and some rather mild teams have both slowed down their offense and had enough points to win. Let's see what the matchup has for us this week.

Keys to Victory:

1. Magic Show: Bob Shoop notoriously promised a magic show last season. The only magic Vol fans saw in the 2nd half of the season was making the defense disappear. The Vols have been much better on the defensive side of the ball this year, though the offensive ineptitude somewhat masks that statistically.

The Vols still rank 3rd in the nation in pass defense, thanks in part to non-passing teams, but in part to actual good play on the back end. Facing a Mizzou offense that is 14th in that nation with 315 yards per game will be an interesting test. Oh yeah... Missouri averages 5 yards per carry, and the Vols are 122nd in the nation against the run.

In a 3 game stretch, South Carolina, Purdue and Auburn held Mizzou to an average of 10 PPG. Shoop needs to bring the magic show.

2. Run KFC: With reports of JG maybe being out for this game, Tennessee will rely heavily on the running game. Kelly, Fills-Aime, and Chandler will get plenty of carries, but the maligned Tennessee offensive line needs to do work against a talented and disruptive Missouri DL. If the Vols can't establish the run game, this one is over. Missouri is 88th in run defense, so there is potential here.

3. QB Episode IV... A New Hope:
I know, he's technically 3rd string, but I'm counting Sherriron Jones ahead of him before he transferred out, as he likely would have been ahead of McBride. It's a Star Wars play on words... deal with it.

Will McBride has filled this fanbase with a new hope, after exploding onto the scene last week for 13 yards of passing and 7 yards on the ground. Yep... it's that kind of year on Rocky Top. Regardless, he will have a chance to exploit a soft passing defense (106th) and if the coaches are smart... which is debatable, they should implement the short passing game with some bubble screens slants, and TE work out in the flats. He's just not going to have the time to put a lot of air under it, but he will take a couple of shots.

Prediction: I think the Vols play this one closer than some Tennessee fans predict. Missouri is inconsistent, and it's hard to tell what you are going to get. I actually like what our defense can do here, but my concern is on the OL and with young McBride.

Missouri 24
Tennessee 17

Reactions: 3 people
You posted this in the football forum.

Oops!

Well, I guess it's a best case scenario of suddenly realizing you have no idea where you are at!

Will repost in the RF. Have fun with it if you want fellas. Mods, feel free to delete.

Oops!

Well, I guess it's a best case scenario of suddenly realizing you have no idea where you are at!

Will repost in the RF. Have fun with it if you want fellas. Mods, feel free to delete.
I moved it for you.

Reactions: 1 person
Oops!

Just wanted to give you a heads up on it. Do enjoy reading your threads.

Whew boy... Mods be swift tonight. Thread was misplaced for like 9 seconds.

:hi:

Whew boy... Mods be swift tonight. Thread was misplaced for like 9 seconds.

:hi:

You opened the FF door into our thread, Nick. I’m kind of upset, but then I read your game synopsis and all is forgiven. :)

Well done once again.

You opened the FF door into our thread, Nick. I’m kind of upset, but then I read your game synopsis and all is forgiven. :)

Well done once again.

Thanks.

I had gone there to check out the results from the weekly picks, since i've done pretty well there. After posting my thread, that poster told me where I was and I was

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I just can't see us slowing them down enough. It's a good thing Trevor Daniel works out like he does.

UT 24
Mizzou 34

And...as always, well done Nick.

I’m going with,
Missouri- 41
Tennessee- 24

I will be at the Preds game hoping we take care of the Pens.

Only 24 points Nick. I think the D gives up 40.

But we score 42.

Boom!

McBride is the QB of the future.

Never thought I would make this prediction after the first few games of the year, but I don’t see how we can win this game. Their high-powered and balanced offense against our meh defense equals lots and lots of points for them. Their DL against our meh OL, in which we don’t even know who is playing equals not a lot of points for us.

We lose by double digits most likely. Hope I’m wrong.

Add always, Nick, thank you and great job. I think that the wheels that are already off roll further away, unfortunately.

Missouri 38

Tennessee 16

Missouri defense sucks

Missouri 56

Tennessee 52

Did we have a mass of transfers in this week on offense? We couldn’t score 52 on Indiana State...how will we score 52 on Mizzou? Maybe the defense and special teams will have 4-5 TDs.

geez, so now we're reduced to "exploding on the scene" is thirteen yards through the air and seven yards on the ground...sad...weeze in trouble Weezie...:)

GO VOLS!

55-21 Missouri

Defense holds strong for awhile but eventually gets tired from being on the field so much.

When we lost to them in 2014, I said "it'll be a long time before we lose to Missouri again." It hadn't been a long time yet!

Vols win

Our pass rush is poor and run D is awful. Do not see this game ending well for UT.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back