Recruiting Forum: Official Southern Miss Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
It's been a long week fellas, and fellacitas.

I hoping to get back to this later today and get my thoughts down. That probably won't happen, so here is a quick bottom line.

Keys to Victory:

1. Establish Ground Game: Southern Miss is good on run defense. This is a problem.

2. Next Man Up: Tennessee can barely get a OL together. When the OL has been at full strength, they have not been good. This is a problem.

3. 3rd down for naught: Southern Miss is 32nd in 3rd down defense nationally, allowing only 33% of conversions. Tennessee is 114th in 3rd down conversions, only 32% success. This is a problem.

4. We are Tennessee, they are Southern Miss: This is not a problem, but it doesn't account for much.

5. Wanna Bowl?: If Tennessee wants to make a bowl game, this is an extremely important win to get. Players should play hard, as they have been all season.

Prediction: Boring, sustained misery. This is the end.

TN 20
SM 24

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a VFL and hope we win but this season has been a nightmare of epic proportions. The only way from here is up.

Chances a DL has to play OL before the end of the game?

Oh, we lose on homecoming. Who cares about the score.

Each week these threads get a little more sad.

I imagine Nick typing these threads like Bob Uecker calling the games in major league.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm worried about our quarterback's health with this offensive line (which will be even worse this week)

35-3 southern miss, Jarett gets torn in half in the first quarter, McBride in the 2nd, we finish with Joe Doyle playing QB.

We are #125 at rushing D giving up 252 YPG. They are #52 at rushing O at 175 YPG. Add in USM is #40 at passing O at 264 YPG. They are balanced. Had they been against UK in the opener they might have won.

Shoop has to pull the secondary up to help in the box with Gaulden sitting in the first half. USM will simply run their O with its play action.

Meanwhile USM is #29 at 128 YPG on rushing D and #44 at 204 YPG at passing D.

Given that USM plays a softer schedule, UT has better overall talent, UT is playing at home. This game looks to be a coin toss. To be determined is how the O-line performs with Smith and Brooks at OT for their first times, how UT compensates for all the injured players overall, and how the team responds to the end being near for Butch/staff.

USM knows we are wounded and they have nothing to lose on the road against a normally superior opponent. They will be excited and UT, not so much. So,

USM 24
UT 20

We are #125 at rushing D giving up 252 YPG. They are #52 at rushing O at 175 YPG. Add in USM is #40 at passing O at 264 YPG. They are balanced. Had they been against UK in the opener they might have won.

Shoop has to pull the secondary up to help in the box with Gaulden sitting in the first half. USM will simply run their O with its play action.

Meanwhile USM is #29 at 128 YPG on rushing D and #44 at 204 YPG at passing D.

Given that USM plays a softer schedule, UT has better overall talent, UT is playing at home. This game looks to be a coin toss. To be determined is how the O-line performs with Smith and Brooks at OT for their first times, how UT compensates for all the injured players overall, and how the team responds to the end being near for Butch/staff.

USM knows we are wounded and they have nothing to lose on the road against a normally superior opponent. They will be excited and UT, not so much. So,

USM 24
UT 20

This. My "stat math" has USM 27-24.

UT at home; homecoming; Guarantano continues to improve, all plusses.

UT O-line; Butch's play-calling; team knows Butch is out, all minuses.

UT tougher schedule, but USM coming in with giant-killer mentality. Wash.

7:30 game. All day for players (UT) to sit and stew. Minus.

UT wins, but doesn't cover.

31-27, Vols.

Last edited:
Really think we are gonna lose this game tonight...hope not

VN Store

Back