Academic Recruiting Casualties?

VolAce

All VOL All The Time
A friend of mine posed a question relating to recruiting losses for recruits who did not qualify academically or who we rescinded offers to for fear of not being able to qualify academically.

Can anyone think of an example of one of these academic recruiting casualties going on to ball out somewhere else? Did they go straight to that school or take the JUCO route? Links would be great for this one to eliminate any speculation as to why they went elsewhere.

The one case I can think of is Orlando Brown, the left tackle who ended up going to Oklahoma. What y'all got?

Oklahoma football: The story of how ex-Tennessee commit Orlando Brown became a Sooner | Sports | oudaily.com

Was Puna Ford? Can’t remember if he was looking here at one point or not.

Brown, ok, but I don't remember any more...sure there was I guess, but there has been "other" causalities who have gone on to do well at other schools...:)

PS. Butch had a good APR...just wished he could coach to the same level...:)

GO VOLS!

Many players who went elsewhere because the vetting system at Tenn told coaches to stay away, they were never offered. Tenn is the ONLY school that does not allow academic exceptions..

Tenn is the ONLY school that does not allow academic exceptions..

This is not 100% true. Cal requires that 80% of its incoming athletes have 3.0 HS GPA.

Most Cal athletes going forward will be required to have a 3.0 grade-point average in high school. That’s substantially lower than the general student body at Cal, but it’s higher than any Pac-12 school except Stanford. The new standards begin to go into effect this fall, when 40 percent of the incoming athletes must have a 3.0 GPA or better. That number climbs to 60 percent next year and to 80 percent in 2017.

Cals rigid academic standards pose tough challenge for athletics

Marshawn Lynch, for example, could not get into UCLA so he ended up at Cal.

Too lazy to find other examples but I believe that ND, Stanford, Vandy, the military academies, Duke, Rice, etc. do have tough yet relaxed admissions standards for athletes.

This is not 100% true. Cal requires that 80% of its incoming athletes have 3.0 HS GPA.

Cals rigid academic standards pose tough challenge for athletics

Marshawn Lynch, for example, could not get into UCLA so he ended up at Cal.

Too lazy to find other examples but I believe that ND, Stanford, Vandy, the military academies, Duke, Rice, etc. do have tough yet relaxed admissions standards for athletes.

I know you're right on Stanford and the academies.

Many players who went elsewhere because the vetting system at Tenn told coaches to stay away, they were never offered. Tenn is the ONLY school that does not allow academic exceptions..

Guessing you haven't witnessed a Jalen Hurts interview yet?

A friend of mine posed a question relating to recruiting losses for recruits who did not qualify academically or who we rescinded offers to for fear of not being able to qualify academically.

Can anyone think of an example of one of these academic recruiting casualties going on to ball out somewhere else? Did they go straight to that school or take the JUCO route? Links would be great for this one to eliminate any speculation as to why they went elsewhere.

The one case I can think of is Orlando Brown, the left tackle who ended up going to Oklahoma. What y'all got?

Oklahoma football: The story of how ex-Tennessee commit Orlando Brown became a Sooner | Sports | oudaily.com

Wish we could have somehow got that guy admitted. He's a great player.

VN Store

Back