Recruiting Forum: Official South Carolina Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Tennessee narrowly escaped a loss during the bye-week, after UGA delivered enough misery to last for two weeks the last time the Vols took the field. It was a gut wrenchingly bad performance that left the Tennessee fan base completely gutted, and saw support for Coach Butch Jones fall to a possibly irrecoverable all-time low.

This week, South Carolina travels to Knoxville, a place where they have historically barely been able to win. History is just that... history, and this Vol team does not resemble most of the Tennessee teams in the past. Talent is one thing, but disinterest is another, and that has been on display for two weeks in a row. What can we expect this week?

Keys to Victory:

1. Show up: If Tennessee doesn't want to be playing in this game, doesn't support their coach, is disengaged, etc. Put a fork in it. I'm 50/50 on whether or not this happens.

2. Get Bentley: I've made no secret since last season that I didn't buy the Bentley hype. Truth be told... he's a pretty good quarterback. He takes care of the football and is a slightly above average game manager. He has the ability to put up some yardage, but let's take a closer look.

They have not truly faced a good pass defense yet.
NC State 121st
Mizzou 109th
Kentucky 117th
Louisiana Tech 62nd
A&M 107th
ARK 39th

Tennessee is currently ranked 3rd in passing yards allowed. There is a bit of salt with this stat, as we have faced at least 3 teams that are very run dominant, and when you look at the yards per passing attempt (6.73) and yards per completion (12.47), that 3rd ranking becomes lipstick on a pig. The Vols need to play big here.

2. Turnovers: South Carolina is 13th nationally with a 1.17 turnover margin advantage. They crushed Arkansas last week, with 3 defensive TD's. Skai Moore is a problem for any TN QB that may play. The Vols have a woeful -.67 turnover margin, and rank 104th. The Vols need an edge here, and we can't have any QD specials served up.

3. Win the Run Game: South Carolina running backs don't exactly strike fear in your heart, especially after facing UGA, but the Vols need a clear advantage in the running game, especially with the QB situation being somewhat horrendous.

South Carolina gives up 145 yards per game on the ground, and John Kelly needs to have that on his own, not including contributions from CFA and Chandler. If Tennessee can't get the run game going, it's not going to be good.

4. Start Jarrett: Whatever JG may or not be, QD is certainly not what the Vols are looking for in a quarterback. JG may provide a spark, or he may fail, but QD would almost certainly fail, so at this point... put it in his hands and tell him it's his game this week. The worst thing you could do is start QD, have a disaster, and put in JG against Bama. Give him a week to try to find some traction before Bama scorches the earth.

Prediction:
Not sure if Tennessee is going to show up, and I'm not certain even their best would be enough to win this week. I'm in a see it to believe it state of mind, and I can't even remember the last time Tennessee put together a complete game. Maybe the Vols put it together, but show me.

TN 17
SC 24

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Every thread is filled with chest beating “fire Butch” rhetoric

Can we maybe just discuss this game in here please?

Thanks

Reactions: 7 people
Hardest game to prognosticate in years. No clue what is going to happen

I think it will be a true barometer of where Butch is as a coach. I think it will answer a lot of questions. Has Butch really lost the team? Is the locker room as bad as rumored? Is the offense as inept as it's shown?

I think the offense is very bad. I don't see us scoring more than 10 right now.

I don’t even know what to predict, honestly. USCe has the momentum after stomping Ark. One thing I do know, if we start QD, I don’t see us winning.

I think it will be a true barometer of where Butch is as a coach. I think it will answer a lot of questions. Has Butch really lost the team? Is the locker room as bad as rumored? Is the offense as inept as it's shown?

I think the offense is very bad. I don't see us scoring more than 10 right now.

Spot on. It's a true test of if the lockerroom
Is going to play for him. No one knows that answer.

Just don't feel like we've got any momentum whatsoever. We're better than South Carolina, but they're going to be excited for this one and I don't think Tennessee will be.

I've got the Gamecocks, 26-13.

Reactions: 1 person
I have no clue how this goes. I hope we play JG, and I hope we send a guy in motion on most plays. Hand it off to Byrd, Williams, and even Callaway. Let JK be JK. Also, take a few deep shots. Idk if he is fired yet or not, but the last thing I would do is go in and call the game scared to death to screw up.

We won't put up double digits if we keep doing what we do.... Going to be a bloodbath if that dude is coaching Tennessee....

South Carolina stacks the box, making us throw. Our QBs don't keep the ball enough to be a threat and our WRs can not get any separation. I think the team will be disinterested, no adjustments will be made with two weeks to prepare. Just have a bad feeling about this game.

31-10 Chickens

VN Store

Back