Recruiting Forum: Official UGA Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Tennessee returns to the field on Saturday to tangle with the Georgia Bulldogs off the heels of a bland victory over UMASS.

Fan discontent... which, let's be honest... Tennessee fans are always discontent, is at a high level, with the team not putting together complete performances and the stinging loss to Florida still leaving Vol fans wondering what should have been. The heat is on for Coach Butch Jones, but let's not act like we haven't been here before.

In 2015, the team was maddeningly close to beating Oklahoma in an incredible environment in Neyland, only to see the offense pack it in during the second half, and for the Vols to miss on about 10 plays that had they hit one... would have ended the game. They followed that up with the horrific ending in the Swamp, 4th and forever, and... well, you know how that ended. As is the standard, rumors began to fly about Crowder being punched, Butch being fired, and how important the Arkansas game was. Tennessee lost 24-20, and the fury of the miserable was on full display.

So in came UGA, and it seemed like it was all near halftime. UGA built a 21 point lead with a little over 2 minutes left, and on Volnation, Gruden threads were popping up like mini explosions of hate filled delusion. Suddenly, Dobbs hits Josh Smith on the pass of the season for a 39 yard TD, and UGA fumbles the kickoff to give the Vols the chance to add 7 more before half-time.

Tennessee put together a 2nd half performance that took the game, and as you may remember, ran the table outside of a 5 point loss to Bama. A team that looked like it had little to fight for suddenly became a force.

Keys to Victory:

1. Who are you?: UGA is coming off of a huge win against Mississippi State. For many, the apparently are ready to crown UGA for this victory and pack it in. I'm not sure I buy the Miss State hype. Sure, they beat LSU soundly, but I'm not sure I'm buying LSU either.

The truth is, UGA is really talented, and they are coming off of a big win, but are they really the #7 team in the country?

On the other side, Tennessee put forth a pale effort on Saturday. Are the Vols really that close to UMASS? Of course not. And truth be told, the team has not put together a complete performance yet. There is certainly untapped potential in this Tennessee team, and they have a habit of playing to their competition. With 4 games in the bank already, I expect we see the closest thing to what Tennessee has to offer this Saturday.

2. Shoop vs. Chaney: Shoop has had success against Jim Chaney led offenses going back for many moons. His adjustments in the 2nd half have been especially good. Last season, if you take away the bomb where Malik Foreman stopped running inexplicably, leading to the Dobbsnail boot, UGA was limited to 7 in the 2nd half.

Shoop has been performing better since GT, IMO, with certain letdowns due to execution. It's time for another big performance from Bob.

3. Run Defense: The Tennessee defense has a huge task this week with an UGA offense that is 29th in the nation in rushing (223 ypg 4.88 ypc). Everyone knows about Nick Chubb but he is not the only threat. Herrien was scary against the Vols last year and Swift has been a big play back for UGA this season.

4. Nauta this time:
A year ago, Manimal TE Issac Nauta torched Tennessee for 83 yards. Chaney will remember this, and Shoop needs to have an answer. There is nothing worse than the TE catching a hot pass and streaking down the middle of the field for a 50 yard TD.

5. Fromm down: Freshman QB Jake Fromm has been outstanding. Chaney has put him in positions to succeed, and he has. True freshmen QB's rarely have spotless seasons. Tennessee could use some freshmen mistakes this week.

6. Offensive Creativity:
Larry Scott has received a lot of heat for some playcalling this year. Some undeserved, as penalties and lack of execution has spoiled some things. The UGA defense is going to stack the box to take away the run, and force Dormady to beat them with his arm. UGA only allows 4.91 yards per pass attempt, which doesn't fare to well for Tennessee. Tennessee gives up 7.11, for perspective.

OC Scott has to be creative in the passing game to open up the run game. Yes, you want to run to open up the pass, ideally, but UGA is going to lock that down from the first snap if you don't threaten to pass. Brandon Johnson needs to catch a ton, and the Vols need to remember Marquez Calloway. The UGA secondary is talented, and Tennessee needs to show they are as well.

What are the Vols going to do at TE? They need some production there, and let's not even begin with how we are going to miss the blocking there in the run game... sigh.

Keep the RB's involved in the passing game. Kelly and Chandler are two of your most explosive playmakers. If the run isn't there, you have to get it into their hands out in the flats.

Prediciton:
Pretty conflicted here. I think the Vols are much better than they have played, but will they show it? I don't think UGA is quite as good as their #7 ranking, but what if they are? Vols fight hard, the fans find reasons to cheer again, but there are just too many things that don't go the right way.

TN 31
UGA 38

Flip that score, and I would not be surprised either.

Reactions: 8 people
Thanks, Nick. Great job as always.

GA has too much, I get the feeling we're in worse shape than we even know. Can Butch repair the damage in a week? Heck no.

GA 35, TN 13

Watch to see if #53 is assigned to cover Nauta at times. Bet he is. Bituli, Warrior and Golden should be in coverage of him subject to Shoop's call. Will Shy play a lot? Needs to.

If the players show up focused and angry they could pull the upset. But I have not observed the guy(s) that can fire the others up and hold them accountable like JJ yet. So I'm going with 34-24 Dogs.

Good analysis, nick. Thanks.

I just...I don't want to see a complete arse kicking. Sigh...

Best one yet, Nick. Thanks for doing these.

I’m conflicted on the game. Either way it goes, it’s been a 1 score game since 2011. I would expect close to the same this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Checker Neyland, Smokey Grays, UGA coming to town...hmmm

I could see a close, hard faught game won by either team if we play like we're capable and it all comes together. I could also see it getting out of hand early, boo birds booing and the wheels fall off.

Hopefully the staff and players find a way to kick some dawg ass!

35-31 Vols

Reactions: 3 people
The defense has improved every week. The offense, not so much. They have regressed.

IDT UGA is as good as everybody thinks and IDT we're as bad as we've looked. The game has been close in recent years and the team that makes the best play last has won. UGA hates playing in Neyland. Our field is their Kryptonite. So there's that.

I think LSU is way overrated this year. Miss State is a pretty good team, but I think they had a bit of a letdown against GA. That said, GA will surely stack the box against us, so we will have to get the passing game working early to open up the run. The D also has to be ready for some type of GA trick play early like the flee flicker against State, which I think shocked State a bit and caused them to never get in rhythm on D. VOLS have the ability to win this game, but the O needs to live up to its capability, and the D must remain solid with continued improvement. GBO.

IDT UGA is as good as everybody thinks and IDT we're as bad as we've looked. The game has been close in recent years and the team that makes the best play last has won. UGA hates playing in Neyland. Our field is their Kryptonite. So there's that.

Over/Under on the number of UGA injuries?

Our QBs are garbage and they will load the box to stop our only legitimate offensive threats, Kelly and Chandler. Their D, particularly L. Carter and/or R. Smith, will have career days against our OL.

Our secondary is atrocious and will not test their passing game to keep their run game in check.

Gonna be a long, long day.

Don't feel good about it at all.

I think this is going to be a really frustrating game and it will feel like we have no shot at stopping them at times. But Shoop finds a way to hold them to some field goals to keep it close.

Kelly starts slow but gets it rolling in the 2nd half and breaks some long runs. Callaway explodes again and gives us some fight down field we've been missing.

If there's a chance I'm always picking the Vols.

38-37 Vols on a Medley game winner. It's a miracle.

Reactions: 1 person
I see the game as one score as well. Whoever makes the least amount of mistakes will win the game. 30-28 Good guys.

This game is usually close, so my heart is telling me we'll see a nail biter Saturday.

My head is telling me this is the game where the season unravels and the wheels fall off for Butch.

Hopefully my heart is right and my head is just being a dummy like usual.

CtuAT21WEAAKgC7.jpg

Reactions: 9 people
I can't stand to predict a Vol loss, but I'm afraid things are even worse behind closed doors than the info that we have received. I think many of the players have quit on Butch after his mismanagement of the locker room again. I really, really hope I'm wrong, because it has been a long time since I've actually dreaded watching our Vols take the field. I hope that all the players from the state of GA take a leadership role this week and have the team fired up to play in spite of Butch. That's the only way we don't get blown out.

38-6 UGA

I think we do come out inspired, but, ultimately we have too many issues scheme-wise, and execution-wise. I think that we hang around and keep it close for a good while, but fade in the 4th.

Georgia 23

Tennessee 10

I truly hope that I am wrong.

VN Store

Back