Recruiting Forum: Official UMASS Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
This week, the Minutemen of the University of Massachusetts take the beautiful drive down 1-81 before bearing right onto I-40 and ending their journey in downtown Knoxville.

UMASS is led by Mark Whipple, who is in his second go around at UMASS, currently in year 4... or 10, however you choose to look at it. He is also the offensive coordinator who has spent time as a QB coach and OC all over football, NCAA and NFL.

It need not be said, Whipple likes to score points when he is able to.

UMASS is currently 0-4, off of the back of a 2-10 season last year. In 2016, they were curiously competitive with Miss State and South Carolina, losing by 8 and 6 points respectively. UMASS may not have scored the big upset, but they are capable of threatening. Whipple seems to be a strong motivator who is able to get his team up when the opposition thinks they can relax a bit.

Keys to Victory:

1. Break the Hangover: Neyland Stadium will likely be a poor venue on Saturday. An early kick-off, heartbreaking loss, and general fan apathy setting in sets the stage for a really bad environment. If players are still feeling sorry for themselves and the fans have a short "boo tolerance", it may set up badly for the Vols. Players have already expressed much frustration at irate fans on Twitter, and the quicker the team and fans can move on, the better this season will be.

The truth is, the Vols have been here before. In 2015, after gut wrenching losses to Oklahoma, Florida and Arkansas, the coals were lit in Knoxville, and people were limbering up their backs to ready their mattresses. The team responded with the best football in the Butch Jones era and came within a pass defended of beating Bama. This team should not be ready to pack it in after week 3, with everything left to play for.

2. Pass Defense:
The UMASS pass offense ranks 19th nationally, at 322 yards per game. The Vol's pass defense ranking is completely irrelevant, based on the offenses faced so far.

Quarterback Andrew Ford has been efficient and taken care of the football. His 300 YPG average is also not built on dump offs to the RB. He has two WR's and a TE with big play ability. They come in 3 sizes, large (6'5"), medium (6'2") and small (5'10"), and each one has a skill set to beat you in a different way.

Tight End Adam Breneman (24 catches 369 yards) may not be available after injuring an ankle last week. That is a huge loss for UMASS if he can't go. Look for the WR Isabella to get a couple of rushes as well.

This will be the first true passing team the Vols have faced and it will be interesting to see how they fare with UGA up next.

3. DL Dominance: UMASS has struggled up front on the offensive line. They are averaging 2.6 YPC. Ready for more fun? They are last in FBS, with a whopping 5.75 sacks yielded per game... and they haven't been playing Clemson and Michigan here.

If the TN DL doesn't dominate :ermm:

4. Play to your strength: Tennessee can run the football. Tennessee is mediocre at passing the football. Right now, it is what it is. Larry Scott needs to recognize what he's got, and play to his strengths. Too often, the Vols left the run game on the shelf last week, and it cost them. Dominate on the ground game, build a lead, and then let the QB(s) play with a lead.

Prediction:
Neyland is passive and the fans boo, no matter what the score is. Tennessee has a rather uninspired victory, but a dominate defensive line makes their presence felt. The secondary has lapses, and UMASS gets to score a few.

TN 41
UMASS 17

Reactions: 2 people
I want us to obliterate UMass with the run game. I want a 150 rush/50 rec yard game for JK, and I want both Chandler and CFA to get 75+ yards apiece. Run it 65/35 and don't get into this forced passing game. Dormady had some Big XII offers. If he wanted to start his career in a throw-happy offense, he should've gone to OSU. Run the ball to set up the pass.

Dormady should not be allowed to throw the ball more than 20 times a game the rest of the season and half of them better be in the direction of Callaway and the other half to Wolf. Kelly needs to get 25 carries a game the rest of the season. Chandler and CFA need 7-10.

35-7 Vols.

JG gets his extended audition and does well enough to have a chance at starting against UGA, but doesn’t light the world on fire.

35-7 Vols.

JG gets his extended audition and does well enough to have a chance at starting against UGA, but doesn’t light the world on fire.

He's going to run some. If they let him run we may see something. I hope they don't leave him in the pocket all day. Use his legs if you plan on using home.

Stay healthy. Find out if JG can give this team a spark. Rest JK for UGA.

48-10 Vols

Will be closer than everyone thinks. We will finally wake up in the 2nd half at some point, and out talent them.

30-13 Vols

Reactions: 1 person
If we beat UMASS by any less than 21 we should fire him midfield after the game... kidding somewhat nervous about their passing game againts our dbs. Vols win 45-17

Since so many of you have mistakenly given up on this season, I need 1 ticket to the UGA game. I'm still very excited about this team and still expect an 8-4 season as a ton of people, including myself, predicted.

I'm serious. Anybody have 1 please message me.

I bet we dont get more than 2 sacks. We have very little pass rush.

We just have too much talent for UMASS. They shouldnt score more than 10 and we should score at least 40. But I wont be surprised if neither happenes.

I'm excited to see some young guys get some playing time. Specifically JG, Byrd, and our freshman running backs.

Will this game be televised?

If no sacks from Kongbo, time for him to put the weight back on and move inside. Phillips and Taylor are the real DE's at this point.

They can't cover Callaway. They can't stop Kelly. Chandler will hit a HR. The coaches better find some answers at QB and on D.

Easy win - by 24+ points.

38-24 orange.

It will be closer than we all want.

Our starters will play all 4 quarters

There will be boos raining down from the stands.

But it will be a W and we will have s week to over analyze it and pick it apart.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree it is likely the fourth consecutive week people will be upset. I think we will be determined to work on the passing game and score a little less than what we could have.

Tennessee 40

UMass 23

VN Store

Back