jgqwakahulhew06c148a

Lowndes
Valdosta, GA
6'6" 270 lbs
Class of 2018

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jalen-goss-183608

http://247sports.com/player/jalen-goss-46037275

[hudl]http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4783403/58447e978cd4a815b4a91d57[/hudl]

Committed to UF in April then decommitted in June. Vols offered August 25.

After de-committing from Florida and opening his recruitment back up in the middle of June, Jalen Goss has added some offers and he is starting to look at official visits. Auburn, Cincinnati and Tennessee are the schools the 6-foot-6, 270 pound offensive tackle out of Valdosta (Ga.) Lowndes has added offers from. The Tigers offered after his camp performance in late July, the the Bearcats and Vols offered in August.

Those two SEC schools look to be in a good spot for the three star. He is planning to take official visits to each. "I am definitely going to take official visits to Auburn and Tennessee," said Goss. "Those are the only ones I know for sure right now. I am also looking at Michigan and UCF, but I am still thinking about it. "I have been talking to coaches from Auburn and Tennessee at least two to three times a week lately and I like both schools a lot."

Goss has yet to visit Knoxville (Tenn.), so when he gets up there, it will be important for him to see it all. "I have family up in Tennessee and they are not too far from Knoxville, so it would be cool to be up there near them," said Goss. "I know Tennessee has a really good program and I like how they play. They have had some good players and I have a lot of interest in them.

"I have been talking with coach [Butch] Jones, coach [Tommy] Thigpen (linebackers) and coach [Walt] Wells (offensive line) a lot. They like my ability and two coaches from Tennessee are coming down this weekend to see me and my teammate Michael Barrett play. "They have talked to me a lot about the program and I really want to get up there."

"I just rushed things a little when I committed before," said Goss. "I needed to take more time and now I am getting ready to make a final decision. "I am taking these visits to find the school not only I like, but that my parents like too. They are important in this, so I will be talking with them about everything. "We want the good fit for me. That is what we are looking for."

- Rivals

Reactions: 2 people
Always a fun time in recruiting when high quality players fans have never heard of become serious contenders for the final few spots.

While I would be happy with Carvin, I'm also not super impressed by him either. He also probably projects as a guard, and I think with Kendrick graduating, we need another tackle on the team. This guy seemingly could fit that mold.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting that we're sending coaches to look at him as well as Barrett.

Barrett is a backup RB option if we lose one of ours and it sounds like this kid is a back up OL if Carvin doesn't commit or we lose one.

Yeah I remembered the name. Think he plays QB but skill set is more at RB at the college level. I was just wondering, with us sending two coaches down, if there was an option for taking him even if we keep Grant and Dixon.

Go with three backs instead of a fourth receiver.

While I would be happy with Carvin, I'm also not super impressed by him either. He also probably projects as a guard, and I think with Kendrick graduating, we need another tackle on the team. This guy seemingly could fit that mold.

I think you are on the right track. We are looking for a guy who can play tackle.

I actually think our Oline is deep enough to handle that though.

The OL is deep but it's deep with interior OL body types. They keep recruiting the same kind of kid HS OT but projects as a college c/G. Very weird to say it in a nice way.

I actually think our Oline is deep enough to handle that though.

Personally, I think we've taken far too many projects the last couple of classes. I know Butch and Welton can't help themselves, but it's crazy to think in two classes they would have taken Niehaus, Lane, Antonutti and now maybe Goss. If they had a track record for developing these type of guys then I'd be fine with it but they don't. In fact, they've really struggled in this area.

Why would this kid be a project?

Way undersized from a physical standpoint for an SEC OT. Like the other poster said, these guys look more like TE's. Same with Antonutti. These guys are huge projects. That's fine if your coaching in the MAC, but it's a weird philosophy in this league.

Personally, I think we've taken far too many projects the last couple of classes. I know Butch and Welton can't help themselves, but it's crazy to think in two classes they would have taken Niehaus, Lane, Antonutti and now maybe Goss. If they had a track record for developing these type of guys then I'd be fine with it but they don't. In fact, they've really struggled in this area.

I agree MH. I've said this over & over again.

VN Store

Back