Can A Brother GET A LINEBACKER PLEASE??

TNV

We used to get hoss RB's that weighed 230 and ran a 4.5. (see Al Wilson) and convert them. Now it seems we get stars that satisfy Bruin but no actual linebackers to speak of. Are there any on the radar because that looks like its gonna be our weakness this year?

Reactions: 2 people
Adam Anderson, but most think he'll be a DE in college, Cam Jones, and many believe Anthony Grant, a current RB commit, could make a great LB.

We will definitely need some of the young guys to step up this year or LB play is going to be a huge weakness this season.

Linebacker will be fine. A healthy Dline with actual DT's and not DE's playing out of position due to injuries will help. Let's play a couple of games before we proclaim the position a weakness.

Reactions: 6 people
Linebacker will be fine. A healthy Dline with actual DT's and not DE's playing out of position due to injuries will help. Let's play a couple of games before we proclaim the position a weakness.

Might put this statement to the test--Saw a report that Austin Smith is out with a knee.

TNV is right. There isn't a LB on this roster who has consistently performed at the SEC level. DKJ has been hurt, Jumper has done well as a backup, McDowell has given us some good minutes, but so far, this bunch has underachieved. Here is a quote from an opposing coach, "Their linebackers are really bad relative to the rest of the division...". Also, consider this. The two leading tacklers on the roster from last year are TK2 and Micah Abernathy. That's not a good stat. It makes me wonder about Tommy Thigpen.

Last edited:
Well Let's see. After Bama,AU, LSU, UF And UGA Take the 5 and 4 star LBS---------------. Evidently the Powers that be at UT are satisfied with The Vol's second Tier Status. Win 7-8 and get a Peach Bowl. It's important enough at the aforementioned Schools to Win Big; so they open the wallets. Bama was a Joke until they lured Saban.

Well Let's see. After Bama,AU, LSU, UF And UGA Take the 5 and 4 star LBS---------------. Evidently the Powers that be at UT are satisfied with The Vol's second Tier Status. Win 7-8 and get a Peach Bowl. It's important enough at the aforementioned Schools to Win Big; so they open the wallets. Bama was a Joke until they lured Saban.

All this because of LB's? Yep, Butch and the UT powers that be have been secretly setting UT up for failure.

:eek:lol:

Reactions: 6 people
If our Dline stays healthy (which has never been the case) then I think our LBs will be fine. Now i don't think our LBs are good enough to make the plays by themselves if the Dline starts going down.

I'd have no issues with us recruiting over a skill player who is committed in favor of a solid lb. LB recruiting seems to be the one miss in an otherwise impressive class so far

Reactions: 1 person
got one coming in 2018...3 star Flint, from Bama...on another or two...Jibunor/Athlete-Linebacker...seems really hard for us to secure "actual" 4-5 star LBs for some reason...and,

GO VOLS!

Thig is the next coach that needs to be closely evaluated to see if he is bringing his weight to the table. The LB recruiting and play has been poor. Our LB unit is not SEC caliber. We have some quality guys, but not elite SEC guys who can shed blocks, make plays on the perimeter, and that have the speed necessary to compete in the SEC.

Now I do not know if this is all Thig's fault, but he is the LB coach.

I'm starting to believe that Shoop is trying to install some type of complex scheme that calls for mental insight and the need to have the MLB read the offense and set the defensive alignment. Several knowledgeable posters on VN state that the backers 1st responsibility is gap fill. More than I like, I see our LB's getting sucked in by play action and misdirection plays. It goes without saying that in the SEC when one of our opponent's OC finds a way to exploit a weakness the other OC's follow suit. A lot depends on our front four and this year even with Barnett and Vereen, Lewis, O'brien gone, I think our defensive front is ready to step up. We have good depth there also and this should take some pressure off of our LB's. We should have solid play behind our LB's too. No doubt our defense will improve simply because Ican't picture it being any worse than last year.

I have nothing against the kid and I hope he does well but Jumper isn't a quality SEC linebacker. Linebacker seems our thinnest position on defense and yet we're taking one kid at the position. I'm a little perplexed.

Watching the LB's for Fla. St., Bama and LSU last night, GOOD LORD!!!!

Yep. Our guys are not even in their league. Our one good LB cannot even stay healthy. Bates has been a huge disappointment and Bryant ain't even on the roster any more. It's pretty pathetic to say the least.

Last edited:

And the " better than dooley" crowd is tickled to death about 8 wins too

Adam Anderson, but most think he'll be a DE in college, Cam Jones, and many believe Anthony Grant, a current RB commit, could make a great LB.

We will definitely need some of the young guys to step up this year or LB play is going to be a huge weakness this season.

Are we really recruiting Jones that much? Dudes offer list is really weak. I would like to think we can do much better than Jones.

IMO, Thig needs to go. His recruiting is not as good as some think. Butch has pretty much upgraded everywhere else except LB.

VN Store

Back