Recruiting Forum: Official Georgia Tech Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
The time draweth nigh...

Tennessee team 121 opens the season at the brand spanking new Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta next week. The Georgia Dome is a distant memory, and for Vol fans, the recent memories there should remain distant. Tennessee hopes to be frequent visitors to the Benz, as it will be the new host to the SEC Championship game.

The Fighting Paul Johnson's will be the opponent, and they feature a dinosaur of an offense that is rarely seen these days. It may be a dinosaur, but we've all seen Jurassic Park, and sometimes those critters cause trouble. Is GT a Velociraptor or about to get Tennessauraus Rekt? (yeah... you liked that, and you hate your self for it.) After all, GT did beat 3 SEC East teams last year...

Keys to Victory:

1. LOS WIN: Tennessee needs to dominate the line of scrimmage all night long, on both sides of the ball. On paper, they should be able to do it. The Vols claim the OL as one of the teams strongest units, though they have been battered in camp and may lack continuity. The Vol DL is chocked full of potential, but needs to realize that potential and stay healthy.

The GT starting 4 DL averages 262 pounds, as their listed weights.

The GT starting 5 OL averages 283 and includes 3 sophomores.

Tennessee and GT will both look to establish the running game. In fact, that is about ALL that GT will seek to establish. If they can't run, they won't win. The Vols have more offensive flexibility, but would prefer to break in QB's QD and JG with relative ease, and not force things.

2. Kneed Good Health:
Georgia Tech uses a cut blocking style which consists of an offensive player knocking a defensive player down by hitting his knees. It is illegal for an offensive player to "cut" a defensive player already engaged with another offensive player. This is considered a "chop block." In the NCAA, cut blocking is allowed as long as the block is away from the original position of the ball. This blocking style can often times result in lower body injuries for defensive players.

The Vols are no doubt aware, and probably very concerned. They need to not play afraid, but also avoid injuries. A couple of DL losses could pave the way for another catastrophic defense collapse like 2016.

3. Shut down the Triple Option: Yeah... this one is not rocket science. You have to stop their main attack. For those who need a refresher on the triple option, I have copied and pasted the following, instead of trying to make myself look more clever than I am:

The threats are first the dive option to the fullback (or B-back, in GT’s parlance) behind a double-team block, then the outside pitch to an A-back. This year’s starting A-back will be Clinton Lynch, who ran for 415 yards at 11.2 yards per carry in 2016. After that is the QB keeper.

The need to stop the downhill option and the quick-hitting outside pitch often results in a seam for the QB to exploit.

When the QB is unable to hit that seam and do damage with his legs, the offense tends to stall out. Jordan is experienced at hitting the crease, but he’s not particularly explosive. That should make things a bit more forgiving for the Vols, if they have some confusion. - SBNation.com

4. Kelly's Time: The Vols will lean hard on John Kelly this game, and he has the potential to put up some big numbers. As discussed earlier, if the OL can dominate the GT DL, look for Kelly to get over 150 yards. Don't be surprised if the Tennessee speed kills, and he busts a few huge ones inflating those numbers. The GT defense gave up 171 rushing per game in 2016.

Prediction: The unfamiliarity with the GT triple option will cause some problems, and GT will find some success with it, breaking some big runs. I think the defense finds enough stops, and if the offense can be consistent enough to let the defense rest, they will fare ok. It won't be a statistically beautiful game, and Butch will be typically first game cautious, but Tennessee has better athletes, and is the better team.

TN 31
GT 17

Short Note: Look for former Knoxville HS players Nathan Cottrell and Brant Mitchell. Cottrell probably won't get many carries, if any at RB, but expect Mitchell to have some tackles at LB.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 people
Nick, thanks for doing this. One thing I think you're wrong on is an illegal block. You can't hit a guy low and high at the same time. It's a personal foul and a 15 yard penalty.

Reactions: 3 people
Bout friggin time..

😀😀 I keeed!!

Great job man and thanks!!

Edit. - #theygonlearn

Reactions: 1 person
Nick, thanks for doing this. One thing I think you're wrong on is an illegal block. You can't hit a guy low and high at the same time. It's a personal foul and a 15 yard penalty.

Yeah, brain fart on my end, cut block vs. chop block, I'll fix it

Vols 28-17

If KMac and Jennings don't play

28-24 flip a coin for the winner

Hmmm.... I forgot to make that a point. I had thought of it earlier last week, but neglected it here. Nevermind. Just going to let it be.

First page.

34-13 Vols baby!

Thanks for the game thread Nick!

Reactions: 1 person
Vols 27
GT 16

QD with 189 pass yards
JG 110 pass yards, 40 rushing
Kelly with 175 rush yds
Phillips with 5 TFL

Boom...football season is now officially upon us!

Team will look completely different from a year ago...suspensions or not.

Vols dominate 38-13

#letusgo #theygonlearn #alleyezon3

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back